SAMe Improves Fatigue, Depression, and Protects the Liver

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
SAMe.jpg

SAMe (SAM-e, S-adenosyl-methionine, or S-adenosyl-L-methionine) is a naturally occurring compound that is found in every cell in the body. It is produced within the body from the essential sulfur-containing amino acid methionine. Protein-rich foods are sources of this amino acid. It is an antioxidant and it has shown to have liver protecting properties.

SAMe is generally considered safe when taken in appropriate doses. People with bipolar (manic/depressive) disorder should be aware that it could trigger a manic phase. People taking standard antidepressants, including MAO inhibitors, SSRIs, and tricyclics should not take SAMe except on a physician's advice. It has been shown to help SSRI drugs work better when used in combination. It is fairly well tolerated but be it can cause jitteriness or gut problems in some.

I am convinced that this supplement works for depression and fatigue. I have taken 400 mg twice a day for a few months and can definitely feel a difference. I actually get reminded when I do not take it by my having decreased energy. An added bonus is that it can also decrease liver enzymes.

SAMe is not cheap. There are many different manufacturers but I use the Jarrow Formulas brand, as I trust their quality control. It comes in foil-protected 200 mg-capsules since it tends to lose its effectiveness when exposed to air.

Here is a summary of studies that show that it works as well as commonly prescribed antidepressants, and also some data on liver function and arthritis pain:

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/76/5/1151S.full.pdf

I am also including a study done at ACRIA that also found benefits in treating depression in people living with HIV:

S-adenosylmethionine (SAM-e) for the treatment of depression in people living with HIV/AIDS

Talk to your doctor before taking this supplement. Do not stop taking your antidepressants to switch to SAMe since it has not been fully studied in large controlled studies.

Start at a small dose of 100 mg twice a day on an empty stomach and see how you feel with that dose. If you do not feel any more energy, increase the dose to 200 mg twice a day and so on until the maximum dose of 400 mg twice is achieved. You may have to lower the dose if your start feeling anxious.

Where to buy it

Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
Here in Italy it's widely prescribed for depression and as a liver detox. I have never used it personally but I have heard a lot of positive responses.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
I have used it and it works. But be careful with dosing since some people may get a little manic if they have prior history of mania. It protects the liver also,

At doses over 800 mg per day it can cause some diarrhea.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me