Safety of hCG Monotherapy for Men with Previous Exogenous T Use or Replacement Therapy

Buy Lab Tests Online

madman

Super Moderator
Safety of Human Chorionic Gonadotropin Monotherapy for Men with Previous Exogenous Testosterone Use or Replacement Therapy (2022)
QRainer,RPai, TMasterson

Introduction

Human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) is homologous to luteinizing hormone (LH) and stimulates endogenous testosterone (T) production and may be an option for testosterone replacement therapy (TRT). Currently, hCG is recommended for hypogonadal men with fertility concerns as it prevents azoospermia seen with exogenous testosterone use. It is unknown if hCG is as efficacious as T in improving symptoms. We hypothesized that hCG is an effective and safe treatment in males with a history of exogenous T use or TRT.

Objective

Our objective was to evaluate for changes in symptoms and side effects to assess hCG monotherapy as a possible method of TRT in adult males with a history of previous exogenous T use or TRT.

Methods

We retrospectively reviewed 50 charts using exogenous T (including testosterone cypionate, Clomid, anastrozole, methandienone, and testosterone gel) and were switched to hCG monotherapy for at least 1 month with follow-up labs. We evaluated changes in hormones [T, LH, follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), and estradiol], hematocrit (HCT), glycated hemoglobin (A1c), and prostate-specific antigen (PSA). Results are presented as means standard deviation. Student t-test was used to compare pre-and post-treatment values, significance was set at p=0.05. We also evaluated for the incidence of thromboembolic events, including stroke, deep vein thrombosis, and myocardial infarction.

Results

The average age was 43.3±10.2 years with a BMI of 29.4±3.9 kg/m2. Of the patients reviewed, 46% had used Clomid, 18% T cypionate, 15% anabolic steroids, 13% T gel, 4% T pellets, and 4% methandienone. The average follow-up after starting hCG therapy was 163 days, range 28 to 583 days. The average weekly hCG dosage was 2435 IU. Serum T experienced no significant change, from 402.54±281.34 ng/dL to 404.29 ±259.64 ng/dL (p=0.58, n=50). No change was seen in FSH (4.82±6.21 to 3.71±3.24 mIU/mL, n=25), LH (3.12±4.18 to 1.98±1.86 mIU/mL, n=25), PSA (0.79±0.39 to 0.64±0.25 ng/mL, n=6), estradiol (27.84±14.82 to 27.96±13.18 pg/mL, n=31), or A1c (5.51±0.41 to 5.41±0.0.43 %, n=8). There was a statistically significant decrease in HCT (45.05±4.87 to 43.91±4.48 %, n=15). When evaluated for improvement of erectile dysfunction (ED, n=30), low libido (n=30), and low energy (n=32), 57%, 63%, and 66% of patients reported improvement of each symptom, respectively. Only 41% of patients with ED were noted to be on another medication or therapy specifically for ED. No thromboembolic events were observed.

Conclusions

Weekly hCG dosing appears to have no significant effect on T levels in men with a history of exogenous T use or TRT. The majority of patients reported an improvement in their hypogonadal symptoms. No changes were noted in PSA and A1c. HCT was noted to have a small, but statistically significant decrease, and no thromboembolic events were recorded.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Too bad they don't say what dose and frequency they used. LH and FSH tell me they received sub-optimal doses.

These doctors work at the Univ of Miami School of Medicine where Dr Ramasamy works. I wonder if he had a chance to review these data.

Can anyone point me to more information on this? I’ve been on TRT and after a HPTA reset protocol Ive been in the lower normal range for my T, but I’ve never quite felt the same as pre-low T (caused by stress and poor sleep) and I never got my libido back. Been off TRT for a few years still in low / normal range and I want to try to get my natrual production up to a higher level. Would HCG help?

Fortunate

This article has a slightly different conclusion.

A more recent article with similar conclusions that monotherapy can bring symptom relief, but in this study, testosterone levels did not rise. I think this may have already been posted by @Nelson Vergel, though.

Last edited:
Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching