Safety and efficacy of supplements.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Blackhawk

I am always on the fence about supplement use even though two doctors have prescribed me various supplements for various reasons. While I am not pro or against supplement use in any categorical way, I do believe strongly in caveat emptor. The supplement industry is rife with snake oil.

This may be old news, it certainly is a dated film, and full of typical expose type media interviewing using leading questions with inferences of guilt: Supplements and Safety

However, to me it does bring up some very pertinent points if you take supplements:
-Do you do diligent research into the efficacy of the supplements you take?
-Do you approach such research with a open mind or a preconceived bias?
-Do you have a tendency to want to believe in cures and longevity through the magic of taking a pill?
-Do you research and vet your sources?
-Do you obtain COAs for the supplements you buy?
-Do you actually know whether what you buy is even what the label states?

I take supplements, and in some cases have experimented by taking for a while then discontinuing for a while then restarting to see if I can actually feel a difference. In most cases this experimentation produces no discernible difference, but in some cases this practice indeed shows me things are working. That is not to say that feeling nothing means no benefit, but this just means the ultimate question remains... is this supplement actually useful or not? I still have questions even pertaining to things as simple as amount of vitamins C, D, E and B complex that remain unanswered. In some cases like with vitamin D, I have even been tested and blood levels determined, and with that I have a higher degree of confidence in appropriate supplementation, but even there, the evidence is not fully conclusive that more is better. Different studies show different results in terms of optimum levels.

So, I just post this as a point for discussion, and to see how much we collectively approach supplementation based on tangible research, testing and Dr recommendations vs succumbing to hype and belief without documentation.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
I believe the best way to get all your vitamins and minerals is with a healthy diet. The problem for me is they took all the nutrition out of my food and put it in pills. :(

Blackhawk

Vince, I agree in terms of belief in nature, however, there is increasing evidence that our now depleted soils and industrial food growing techniques are producing even fresh organic produce that is relatively depleted in vitamins, minerals, nutrients and increasing higher simpler carb content vs protein levels. As this trend progresses further, unless we grow our own food in soil we know to be extremely fertile, there is a good chance we will not be getting the nutrients we need without supplementation.

This is exactly a case in point regarding belief vs documented science. The information is incomplete and can be confusing and often we default to belief.

Blackhawk

My homocysteine has been elevated, and my Dr. suggested I start a methyl B supplement. I was hesitant to try the office brand she has due to the cost $50, so I have tried several brands off of Amazon. No change, still elevated. I ponied up the cash for the expensive one, and damn if it didnt drop my homocystiene in to normal levels. I thought I had turned the corner, and switched back to a well reviewed one on Amazon with the same ingredients and ratios. Bam, right back to elevated. Go figure.

Might help to obtain COA and read reviews of the source companies with due skepticism of the sources of information. I don't trust Amazon customer reviews one bit when it comes to supplements.

I try to buy from known producers...LEF, and NOW come to mind. Beyond that I independently research dosing and frequency which I tend to find with NOW products is underdosed or doses that aren't clinically effective according to the labeling. I try it for a week or so and subjectively keep using it or I put it in my tried and didn't like it pile of pill bottles.

Blackhawk

I dont either, but when there is 2000+ reviews, I would tend to think some of them were factual.

Reviews are inherently not factual unless based upon some kind of scientific/clinical/measurable research.

"I feel better" is an inherently subjective statement. it is not factual. There is no accounting for what else a person may have done, their other health circumstances, how well they sleep or are under stress etc etc including placebo effect that may have helped someone feel better when they think it was from the supplement.

"I had my blood level of DHEA measured at 64 before treatment, then at 356 after taking 25mg every day" (as long as the info is correct) is a factual review.

How many Amazon reviews are like the latter?

What other criteria qualify as "factual"?

Vince

Super Moderator
My homocysteine has been elevated, and my Dr. suggested I start a methyl B supplement. I was hesitant to try the office brand she has due to the cost $50, so I have tried several brands off of Amazon. No change, still elevated. I ponied up the cash for the expensive one, and damn if it didnt drop my homocystiene in to normal levels. I thought I had turned the corner, and switched back to a well reviewed one on Amazon with the same ingredients and ratios. Bam, right back to elevated. Go figure.
I buy mine off Amazon, I use Jarrow brand.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me