Resistance training restores hormone decline in older men

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
FASEB J. 2014 Jan 17.
Resistance training restores muscle sex steroid hormone steroidogenesis in older men.

Sato K, Iemitsu M, Matsutani K, Kurihara T, Hamaoka T, Fujita S.

Abstract

Skeletal muscle can synthesize testosterone and 5α-dihydrotestosterone (DHT) from dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) via steroidogenic enzymes in vitro, but hormone levels and steroidogenic enzyme expression decline with aging. Resistance exercise has been shown to increase in plasma sex steroid hormone levels. However, it remains unclear whether resistance training can restore impaired steroidogenic enzyme expressions in older individuals. Six young and 13 older men were recruited, and muscle biopsies were taken from the vastus lateralis at basal state. The same group of older subjects underwent resistance training involving knee extension and flexion exercises for 12 wk, and post-training biopsies were performed 4-5 d after the last exercise session. Muscular sex steroid hormone levels and sex steroidgenesis-related enzyme expressions were significantly lower in older subjects than younger ones at baseline, but 12 wk of resistance training significantly restored hormone levels (DHEA: 432±26 at baseline, 682±31 pg/μg protein, DHT: 6.2±0.9 at baseline, 9.8±1.4 pg/μg protein). Furthermore, the steroidogenesis-related enzymes such as 3β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (HSD), 17β-HSD, and 5α-reductase expressions were significantly restored by resistance training. We conclude progressive resistance training restores age-related declines in sex steroidogenic enzyme and muscle sex steroid hormone levels in older men.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Timothy54

How does this affect men on TRT? If the testes are not producing because of TRT will progressive resistance training have the same affect? I have always wondered about this. Thanks for posting.

Jeffrey Becker

Since theses mechanisms of steroidogenesis are site-specific in the muscles, I think its safe to say it will take place regardless of the source of T or DHEA. I've previously seen other articles regarding the conversion of T to DHT in response to exercise, in the trained muscles. And some of this converted hormone gets into the overall system. However, the bodies ability to apply steroidogenesiss on-site and on-demand is something that may become blunted at least to some extent, with aging. It would have been interesting to have seen a comparison of response of older vs. younger participants. My workout buddies and I have long noticed increased morning "wood" after vigorous squat sessions in the gym.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me