Relationship Between Estrogen & Spleen Discomfort?

Buy Lab Tests Online

bkb33

Hey all,

High SHBG guy here. Before I began treatment, I had a constant (not too bad, but annoying) discomfort/pain over my spleen for about six months. I saw a few doctors, but none of them could figure out what was wrong and said it may be psychosomatic.

In May, I started on hCG and an A.I., and the pain gradually went away. I totally forgot about it. However, I stopped taking my A.I. about two weeks ago -- and the pain has come back. Of course, I can't imply causation, but I'm wondering whether this issue could be related to my estrogen. I might be totally off base, but have you heard of any spleen discomfort in the hormone space?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

captain

Could be a muscle causing the pain. I get a muscle spasm on that side it feels like laying on a rock at night. Ulcer can cause pains there as well. Kidney stones or infection can too but you probably already looked into that.

bkb33

I've done some research and think this may be pancreatis. Anyone here have experience with that?

Interestingly, pancreatic issues are often tied to alcoholism, and when people see my crazy high SHBG (>100), they often ask if I over consume alcohol (I never drink).

Also interestingly, "estrogen therapy" is apparently linked to pancreas issues.

I've done some research and think this may be pancreatis. Anyone here have experience with that?

Interestingly, pancreatic issues are often tied to alcoholism, and when people see my crazy high SHBG (>100), they often ask if I over consume alcohol (I never drink).

Also interestingly, "estrogen therapy" is apparently linked to pancreas issues.

I think you're really reaching way too hard here. Would be much easier to see Dr or Nurse and get tested than where you're trying to take this on your own.

bkb33

I think you're really reaching way too hard here. Would be much easier to see Dr or Nurse and get tested than where you're trying to take this on your own.

You're right -- I am reaching :) I went to see a doctor today, and he ordered blood tests for pancreas/CBC/liver/kidney functions, including Lipase. He also ordered an abdominal ultrasound, which I'll have tomorrow morning. I should receive most of the bloodwork results today, with Lipase coming in tomorrow.

Last edited:

jsmith7

Update: it's gallstones. Glad it's not something more serious. Anyone have experience with these? Advice would be appreciated!

How are you doing? Any update on your gallstones?

In males, increasing levels of SHBG over time was significantly associated to reduced risk of gallstones . (Andrology, 2017, 5, 931–938)

The same study says, "Male reproductive hormones seem to have an impact on incident gallstones" and "High baseline free testosterone determined incident gallstones in males."

You asked about estrogen. There is some evidence that female reproductive hormones increase the risk of gallstones due to shifting the bile composition toward lithogenicity wherein bile becomes cholesterol-saturated. Experimental evidence also shows that estrogen stimulates cholesterol excretion into bile (again, this favors gallstone formation). However, this study did not find an association between estradiol levels and gallstone risk in men.

bkb33

How are you doing? Any update on your gallstones?

That's some really interesting data you shared. Thanks!

The doctor who did the actual ultrasound told me it was gallstones, but my PCP was not at all convinced -- the discomfort is on my left side, but the gallstones we saw were mostly on my right (2 large ones on right, 1 smaller one on left). He did not think it'd make sense that I would feel the gallstones on my left, but I definitely feel something there.

I still have some discomfort on the left, but I'm not positive it's gallstones. It may be a stomach issue. They told me I had no reason for concern based on the ultrasound. Anyone else have other ideas?

jsmith7

The doctor who did the actual ultrasound told me it was gallstones, but my PCP was not at all convinced -- the discomfort is on my left side, but the gallstones we saw were mostly on my right (2 large ones on right, 1 smaller one on left). He did not think it'd make sense that I would feel the gallstones on my left, but I definitely feel something there.

I still have some discomfort on the left, but I'm not positive it's gallstones. It may be a stomach issue. They told me I had no reason for concern based on the ultrasound. Anyone else have other ideas?
Where is The Gallbladder Pain Felt?

The gallbladder pain is commonly located in the epigastrium. Movement does not have any effect on the gallbladder pain, as movement has no effect on the distended ducts or gallbladder. The next most common location of gallbladder pain is the right upper abdomen area where the gallbladder is located. Other less common location of gallbladder pain is the left upper abdomen and rarely the lower abdomen. Sometimes the gallbladder pain may radiate to other areas like the right shoulder or the tip of the right scapula. Biliary colic tends to occur more in the evening time or at night, often disrupting the patient's sleep. Source: Gallbladder Pain|Classification|Types|Pathophysiology|Signs|Symptoms|Treatment|Diagnosis

Who else has had gallstone pain on left side not right? | Gallbladder Problems | Liver and gallbladder | Community | Patient Who else has had gallstone pain on left side not right?

jsmith7

This video also discusses the relationship between estrogen and gallstones. Furthermore, it discusses genetic variations and methylation, which are two important topics I have not (yet) seen mentioned here.

Rivehn

Hey man. I’m interested in what you find out.
I’m a low shbg guy started trt in 11/2018. I started getting left side upper abdominal discomfort about 30 days after starting. I feel like it’s high e2 related as I was placed on 200mg every 2 weeks at first which is a roller coaster and would feel no pain before injecting then I would inject and get pain left abd 24hr after would be taking ibuprofen to stop the dull pain.

I first noticed it on a flight. I felt like I was swollen and I had to pace back and forth in the cabin.

I had my gallbladder removed in 07 so it’s not that for me.

Another thought was the oil? I’m shooting cottonseed oil and don’t have a reaction at injection site but was curious about changing to a different one..

I sometime feel like going to the dr to see if I got some sort of tumor growing lol.

bkb33

Hey man. I’m interested in what you find out.
I’m a low shbg guy started trt in 11/2018. I started getting left side upper abdominal discomfort about 30 days after starting. I feel like it’s high e2 related as I was placed on 200mg every 2 weeks at first which is a roller coaster and would feel no pain before injecting then I would inject and get pain left abd 24hr after would be taking ibuprofen to stop the dull pain.

I first noticed it on a flight. I felt like I was swollen and I had to pace back and forth in the cabin.

I had my gallbladder removed in 07 so it’s not that for me.

Another thought was the oil? I’m shooting cottonseed oil and don’t have a reaction at injection site but was curious about changing to a different one..

I sometime feel like going to the dr to see if I got some sort of tumor growing lol.

Very interesting to see another account like mine! Left side upper abdominal is the exact spot. I will definitely keep you posted on what I discover.

It's not the oil for me, as I developed this discomfort before starting the T portion of my HOT protocol. But I do think it could definitely be high E2 related, as the discomfort eventually disappeared while I was on anastrozole and came back when I stopped my AI, and it has also intensified since I started T. You could go to the doctor, but I had an ultrasound and they didn't find anything.

James

Very interesting to see another account like mine! Left side upper abdominal is the exact spot. I will definitely keep you posted on what I discover.

It's not the oil for me, as I developed this discomfort before starting the T portion of my HOT protocol. But I do think it could definitely be high E2 related, as the discomfort eventually disappeared while I was on anastrozole and came back when I stopped my AI, and it has also intensified since I started T. You could go to the doctor, but I had an ultrasound and they didn't find anything.
I too have had an occasional dull ache in both the area of my gallbladder and spleen. I went in for an ultrasound and discovered that I have both an enlarged liver and an enlarged spleen. Neither are crazy large, and they're not painful, but occasionally I'll feel dull ache. Nothing significant enough to prevent me from doing anything, but we'll see what the follow-up ultrasound shows in a couple months.

bkb33

I too have had an occasional dull ache in both the area of my gallbladder and spleen. I went in for an ultrasound and discovered that I have both an enlarged liver and an enlarged spleen. Neither are crazy large, and they're not painful, but occasionally I'll feel dull ache. Nothing significant enough to prevent me from doing anything, but we'll see what the follow-up ultrasound shows in a couple months.

Would you mind sharing your T (free and total), E, and SHBG numbers, as well as your protocol? I wonder whether we have any similarities.

James

I've been on trt for about 5 years and need to get Labs again. Don't have the reference range but it's always with LabCorp. Around 500 total and 21 free, I keep E2 pretty low and my SHBG it's probably around 15. I'm extremely sensitive to estrogen and had gynecomastia surgery many years ago to remove both fat and glandular tissue. My current protocol is 50 mg cypionate twice a week (100 mg total) and 1/8 of a milligram of Anastrozole twice-a-week (1/4 total). I've had many ultrasounds over the last several years and this last ultrasound showed an enlarged liver and enlarged spleen. Liver enzymes have always been within range.

bkb33

I've been on trt for about 5 years and need to get Labs again. Don't have the reference range but it's always with LabCorp. Around 500 total and 21 free, I keep E2 pretty low and my SHBG it's probably around 15. I'm extremely sensitive to estrogen and had gynecomastia surgery many years ago to remove both fat and glandular tissue. My current protocol is 50 mg cypionate twice a week (100 mg total) and 1/8 of a milligram of Anastrozole twice-a-week (1/4 total). I've had many ultrasounds over the last several years and this last ultrasound showed an enlarged liver and enlarged spleen. Liver enzymes have always been within range.

Hmm, so we have very different situations. I am a high-SHBG, high-T, high-E guy. But obviously we may still be experiencing something along the same lines, though my ultrasound did not show any abnormalities with liver/spleen.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me