Recommend a top quality omega-3 fish oil

Buy Lab Tests Online

JimBob

By "top quality" I mean in terms of purity, freshness, strength...I'm already aware of Nelson's recommendation, Nordic Naturals, but are there others?
I've been using a bottom shelf brand, but I'm going to switch after reading about rancidity in many brands.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

LTChris

big fan of cod liver oil: Green Pasture Blue Ice Fermented Cod Liver Oil Liquid, or just buy canned cod liver (actually tastes pretty good) King Oscar Cod Liver in Own Oil, 6.67 Ounce

Vince

Super Moderator
I use Nordic Naturals liquid omega-3, I take 4 teaspoons daily and like LTChris I supplement with Green Pasture Blue Ice Fermented Cod and Skate liver oil.

madman

Super Moderator
big fan of cod liver oil: Green Pasture Blue Ice Fermented Cod Liver Oil Liquid, or just buy canned cod liver (actually tastes pretty good) King Oscar Cod Liver in Own Oil, 6.67 Ounce

Used to take the Green Pasture Blue Ice Fermented Cod Liver oil but the omega 3 content/serving is low as one serving of the oil is 1 teaspoon (5 ml) daily which only provides roughly 1 gram of omega 3s EPA/DHA combined which is not bad but I would consider it more of an excellent source/dose of Vitamin A/D.

I eventually switched to Carlson's Finest Cod Liver oil as I prefer a higher dose of EPA/DHA and 1 tablespoon (15 ml) gives me 3 grams of EPA/DHA combined and although it provides a good amount of Vitamin A/D the ratio is not perfect so I supplement with 5000 IU Vitamin D daily.

One could not consume 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of the high vitamin Green Pasture Blue Ice Fermented Cod Liver oil as the Vitamin A content would be way too high.

madman

Super Moderator
By "top quality" I mean in terms of purity, freshness, strength...I'm already aware of Nelson's recommendation, Nordic Naturals, but are there others?
I've been using a bottom shelf brand, but I'm going to switch after reading about rancidity in many brands.

Would be far better off consuming sardines or wild salmon often as not only are they high in omega 3s but are very nutrient dense along with good serving of high quality protein.

Vince

Super Moderator
Would be far better off consuming sardines or wild salmon often as not only are they high in omega 3s but are very nutrient dense along with good serving of high quality protein.
The fermented cod/skate liver oil I use it because it's real fermented oil. All the extra nutrition just missing in other foods. It's nice that it has mega threes but that's not my main concern with this oil.

madman

Super Moderator
The fermented cod/skate liver oil I use it because it's real fermented oil. All the extra nutrition just missing in other foods. It's nice that it has mega threes but that's not my main concern with this oil.

Nor should it be!

You would be far better of relying on fermented foods such as kefir/sauerkraut/kimchi/natto to name a few as oppose to a measly teaspoon of oil and if anything the main benefit of the fermented cod liver oil is the Vitamin A/D.

Vince

Super Moderator
Nor should it be!

You would be far better of relying on fermented foods such as kefir/sauerkraut/kimchi/natto to name a few as oppose to a measly teaspoon of oil and if anything the main benefit of the fermented cod liver oil is the Vitamin A/D.
It actually contains some amounts of natural vitamin D2

ndifp3

You asked about purity. Vascepa is pure EPA. One gram EPA per capsule. Unlike supplements it is an Rx so purity and strength are assured. Lovaza delivers DHA and EPA together. Rx for these is usually to control serum triglycerides but have the same off-label benefits claimed from fish oil without the risks of contamination. Purported to be a good adjunct to TRT for pulmonary, circulatory benefits. Great if your insurance will cover. If declined submit an appeal.

Agree with madman. Consume the mentioned natural sources.

JimBob

Any guesses as to how many cans of sardines I'd have to eat to approach "3 grams of EPA/DHA combined"? Or, would 3 grams even be necessary considering the whole food source?

HealthMan

I use VIVA Naturals. One of the top fish oil supplements according to independent Consumerlab.com
My Cholesterol and Tryglicerides levels improved quite a bit using their fish oil.

madman

Super Moderator
Any guesses as to how many cans of sardines I'd have to eat to approach "3 grams of EPA/DHA combined"? Or, would 3 grams even be necessary considering the whole food source?

Most consume 1-3 grams of EPA/DHA combined.

On average a can of sardines will provide 1.5+ grams of EPA/DHA combined.

Brunswick® Sardines in Spring Water No Salt Added - 106g - Brunswick® Seafood

Sockeye salmon will provide higher amounts roughly 2.5 grams of EPA/DHA combined per half can.

Sockeye Salmon | Clover Leaf

dnfuss

I use VIVA Naturals. One of the top fish oil supplements according to independent Consumerlab.com
My Cholesterol and Tryglicerides levels improved quite a bit using their fish oil.
+1
Viva Naturals provides 940 mg of EPA and DHA in about one gram of fish oil per capsule, of which approximately 700 mg is EPA and 240 mg is DHA. This compares favorably with the prescription drug Lovaza, which provides 840 mg of EPA and DHA in about one gram of fish oil per capsule, of which approximately 465 mg is EPA and 375 mg is DHA.

Jones

Nordic Naturals, Xymogen, Ortho Molecular, Vital Nutrients are all 3rd party tested with highest quality control. I'm sure there are others, these are just the ones I use most in practice because I trust the brands. The higher the quality, the less you need to take due to difference in absorption rates (I follow patients omega-3 levels closely on labs so I can see how much patients need of certain brands...)

DKNera

Great question. I have been taking Jym Omega (Jim Stoppani's supplement line) for a while now. I like it because--as far as I have been able to find-- it discloses the quantities of EPA, DHA and DPA (no proprietary blends), and it has [one of] the highest concentrations of EPA and DHA in a single product I have ever seen (750mg of each per serving).

I will caveat it by saying, though there is a general comment on the bottle about it being "purified", I do not know if or to what extent dioxins and/or mercury have been removed.
Also, the last I checked, this product wasn't listed on the IFOS website (international fish oil standards) IFOS

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me