Recent blood test results. Low iron high progesterone

Buy Lab Tests Online

TRTinNY

Hi guys...

Just got my blood test results back.

They are attached.

I have a few issues and hoping people have thoughts.

I have low iron and very low ferritin. Rbc is slightly high but not worried.

My mch and mchc is new. I'm wondering if I should take an iron supplement.

The thing that does concern me though is high progesterone.

Recently Dr. Saya changed me from testosterone cyp to prop. I'm taking 15mg daily plus 2 clicks cream 2x/day.

Never had this before. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230510_090027_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20230510_090027_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    325.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Screenshot_20230510_090044_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20230510_090044_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot_20230510_090100_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20230510_090100_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 66
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Gman86

Why is ur iron levels so low? Have u donated blood too much?

do u take anything to lower ur cholesterol, like a statin by any chance?

were u fasted when u had these labs done?

what‘s the goal of switching u from cyp to prop? I assume ur using empowers compounded test prop?

TRTinNY

I have had low iron for some time but never this low. I actually got my hematocrit under control.

I didn't fast for this test and might have been a bit dehydrated.

I do a double red 2x per year when my hematocrit gets high but it's been like 3 months.

I got test and estradiol done but not back yet.

I'm on 5mg crestor and 170mg fenofibrate due to a family history of heart disease but I've never really had high cholesterol or triglycerides.

I take 60mg of dexilant for GERD

Recently I'm on Monjouro for weight loss to drop 15 but I'm not a diabetic but have a family history.

I take 70mg aimovig monthly for severe migraines

We switched to test prop from empower bc I'm very sensitive to anastrazol and have wide swings of estradiol which affect my ED. It's been a bit better since I'm on it. Even .03 mg anastrazol drops me too much.

Prolactin has been low for as long as I can remember since on trt and I have no idea why or how to address it but always been concerned that that could be part of my ED issue

TRTinNY

I have had low iron for some time but never this low. I actually got my hematocrit under control.

I didn't fast for this test and might have been a bit dehydrated.

I do a double red 2x per year when my hematocrit gets high but it's been like 3 months.

I got test and estradiol done but not back yet.

I'm on 5mg crestor and 170mg fenofibrate due to a family history of heart disease but I've never really had high cholesterol or triglycerides.

I take 60mg of dexilant for GERD

Recently I'm on Monjouro for weight loss to drop 15 but I'm not a diabetic but have a family history.

I take 70mg aimovig monthly for severe migraines

We switched to test prop from empower bc I'm very sensitive to anastrazol and have wide swings of estradiol which affect my ED. It's been a bit better since I'm on it. Even .03 mg anastrazol drops me too much.

Prolactin has been low for as long as I can remember since on trt and I have no idea why or how to address it but always been concerned that that could be part of my ED issue
Also funny enough my shbg was low for many years and all of a sudden it's been in the mid 20s this past year. No idea why.

Gman86

Do u not consume red meat? Ur iron levels are so low. U absolutely do not need to be on a statin. HDL and LDL are not the enemy when it comes to heart disease. High triglycerides, insulin resistance, chronic inflammation and high blood pressure are the main causes of heart disease. Ur actually doing more harm to ur health than good by being on a statin, and lowering ur HDL and LDL. LDL has quite a bit of benefits within the body, and lowering it to the degree that u are is increasing ur risk of all
cause mortality, not lowering it. Thinking Ldl is the main cause of heart disease in this day and age is like thinking saturated fat from grassfed butter, or pastured egg yolks, or fatty steak is gonna lead to heart disease. As we now know it’s the complete opposite, and those foods are some of the best foods that u can consume to ward off cardiovascular disease.

to me ur blood work looks the opposite of dehydrated. Ur RBC’s are on the high end, yet ur HCT and HGB aren't at all, which I think indicates that ur total blood volume is really good, compared to the amount go RBC’s in it, which im pretty sure indicates that ur well hydrated. I could be wrong about that tho

u need to get ur iron levels up tho. What’s ur diet look like? I assume low healthy fats, very little to no red meat, high carb, and not sure where u stand on protein

TRTinNY

Do u not consume red meat? Ur iron levels are so low. U absolutely do not need to be on a statin. HDL and LDL are not the enemy when it comes to heart disease. High triglycerides, insulin resistance, chronic inflammation and high blood pressure are the main causes of heart disease. Ur actually doing more harm to ur health than good by being on a statin, and lowering ur HDL and LDL. LDL has quite a bit of benefits within the body, and lowering it to the degree that u are is increasing ur risk of all
cause mortality, not lowering it. Thinking Ldl is the main cause of heart disease in this day and age is like thinking saturated fat from grassfed butter, or pastured egg yolks, or fatty steak is gonna lead to heart disease. As we now know it’s the complete opposite, and those foods are some of the best foods that u can consume to ward off cardiovascular disease.

to me ur blood work looks the opposite of dehydrated. Ur RBC’s are on the high end, yet ur HCT and HGB aren't at all, which I think indicates that ur total blood volume is really good, compared to the amount go RBC’s in it, which im pretty sure indicates that ur well hydrated. I could be wrong about that tho

u need to get ur iron levels up tho. What’s ur diet look like? I assume low healthy fats, very little to no red meat, high carb, and not sure where u stand on protein
I eat red meat frequently and I eat carbs. I eat lots of sushi as well. I'm not a perfect eater but I LOVE LOVE burgers and steaks. Not sure why I'm like this.

Progesterone also concerns me. I'm on the lowest dose of statins because my mom and dad both had serious issues. Open to ideas but I'm concerned on a few legend. The prolactin also is strange. Why did SHBG rise so much? These are things I have no idea.

Gman86

And not sure about the increase in SHBG. Did it go up when u switched to prop? A rise in SHBG could indicate improved insulin sensitivity. Which would obv be a good thing

Blackhawk

You are not clinically there yet, but are a bit anemic. Your body is trying to compensate, but you don;t have enough iron.

Because of the low iron and ferritin, your red cells have low hemoglibin concentration (MCH). The count indicates you are making more than enough cells, but they are deficient in hemoglobin because of iron deficiency.

Your double red donations are not helping this problem, and you are beyond the point where red meat is enough to fix it quickly.

I do not know much about iron supplementation, but there are at least a few guys here who can make recommendations. And, it may help to read this: Raising ferritin FAST (a how-to, not a question)

TRTinNY

You are not clinically there yet, but are a bit anemic. Your body is trying to compensate, but you don;t have enough iron.

Because of the low iron and ferritin, your red cells have low hemoglibin concentration (MCH). The count indicates you are making more than enough cells, but they are deficient in hemoglobin because of iron deficiency.

Your double red donations are not helping this problem, and you are beyond the point where red meat is enough to fix it quickly.

I do not know much about iron supplementation, but there are at least a few guys here who can make recommendations. And, it may help to read this: Raising ferritin FAST (a how-to, not a question)
I'd be curious if I need an infusion

Blackhawk

I'd be curious if I need an infusion
That would be transfusion... No worries at all yet, not until you reach HGB of about 7.0-8.0. Don't ask me how I know, but it is first hand. Don't want to derail the topic.

You have enough hemoglobin in total, you are nowhere near needing transfusion, but the anemic aspect is the low MCH (Mean corpuscular hemoglobin). Your cells have low hemoglobin concentration. Not enough hemoglobin because of the iron deficiency.

Iron deficiency is the take home point.

Last edited:

madman

Super Moderator
Hi guys...

Just got my blood test results back.

They are attached.

I have a few issues and hoping people have thoughts.

I have low iron and very low ferritin. Rbc is slightly high but not worried.

The thing that does concern me though is high progesterone.

Recently Dr. Saya changed me from testosterone cyp to prop. I'm taking 15mg daily plus 2 clicks cream 2x/day.

Never had this before. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Still, struggling with crashed ferritin almost 2 years later!

Who is managing your protocol?

Have no clue where your FT level sits on such protocol but good chance it is high seeing as you are injecting 15 mg TP daily + transdermal T twice daily (am/pm).

Systemlord

I have low iron and very low ferritin.

Your ferritin is 5 and you wonder if you should take an iron supplement, really?

Two years with crashed ferritin!

How much longer can you keep this up?

TRTinNY

Your ferritin is 5 and you wonder if you should take an iron supplement, really?

Two years with crashed ferritin!

How much longer can you keep this up?
I wrote that wrong... What I meant is is I've been taking various iron supplements for a while and it's never done anything

Not all irons supplements are the same and every person responds differently to each kind. I would start with 5mg Kirkland's iron chelete.

Kirkman - Iron Ferrochel 5mg - 120 capsules - Aids Hemoglobin & Myoglobin Production - Supports Red Blood Cells Formation - Hypoallergenic Amazon.com

Then if that doesn't work my second option would be the liquid Iron ferrous sulfate 44mg. (I would do only 1/4 teaspoon not a whole teaspoon a day). That's prescription only but with those labs it wouldn't be a problem for a doc to prescribe it.

The last option would be Heme Iron Polypeptide this is a heavy hitter and will always build iron and ferritin up but usually at a major uptick to hemoglobin if you take too much. I would try one pill day for three days then go from there.

Proferrin Clear 30ct | US Made heme Iron for high Absorption, Easy on GI Tract | Natural, NSF Certified, dye Free Amazon.com

They recommend taking most on empty stomach but I always take them with food otherwise my body just doesn't absorb.

I also had to stop power red donations and prefer whole blood, power red is a 400mg iron lost and some people just don't recover from that within four months usually takes over a year.

Good luck

TRTinNY

I am going to the hematologist today.

I also got additional blood work back.

Thoughts on where I am?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230516_123707_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20230516_123707_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20230516_123803_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20230516_123803_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 36