PSA numbers increasing on testosterone- Should I stop TRT?

Buy Lab Tests Online

chad386

Maybe iny missing something, but making drastic changes to a protocol or stopping a protocol altogether just to chase a lab number doesn't make much sense to me, particularly in regard to PSA.

I read the book 'The Great Prostate Hoax' a few years back by the guy that actually invented the PSA test. It's a horrible test with a crazy high number of false positives.

Has something changed significantly in the recent past to invalidate his opinion? I genuinely don't know. But I'm also not the type to make big changes to a protocol that's working just to make my quarterly report card from quest labs look a certain way. A lot of times I'll change nothing and deviant readings go back to normal the next test.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Smokin Joe

I agree to a small degree but I think fMiky genetics play a major pRt and the psa test could save your life.
My younger brother has cancer even after the removal of his prostate. He is on certain meds to include Lupron to keep his cancer at bay.
I have an Uncle who did from prostate cancer as he would not have his prostate removed to which there are no garuntees.
Honestly I think the PSA is a decent marker and allows each individual to make decisions about their own health. Hopefully after much study and research.

chad386

I didn't spell check.
My bad.....
Haha, that makes two of us brother!

I hear you, with that family history, you have to be a little more careful. It can be a double edged sword as I think the reason guys don't trust medicine in this case is due to the urologists themselves.

It wasn't long ago they were doing radical prostatectomies on anyone and everyone, ruining plenty of lives in the process. Wherein the patient would have died of other causes long before the prostate cancer could have done anything. Incontinence and impotence is a tag team that can make many men suicidal.

I also put some weight into the US preventive services task force when they gave the test an honest D-. They took so much heat from urology they revised it to a C, I think for a specific age group.

But I do agree 100% with what you said. We all have to make our own decisions. It's been a few years since I researched this in depth, so might be time to revisit.

tropicaldaze1950

Maybe iny missing something, but making drastic changes to a protocol or stopping a protocol altogether just to chase a lab number doesn't make much sense to me, particularly in regard to PSA.

I read the book 'The Great Prostate Hoax' a few years back by the guy that actually invented the PSA test. It's a horrible test with a crazy high number of false positives.

Has something changed significantly in the recent past to invalidate his opinion? I genuinely don't know. But I'm also not the type to make big changes to a protocol that's working just to make my quarterly report card from quest labs look a certain way. A lot of times I'll change nothing and deviant readings go back to normal the next test.
I never read his book, but I recall reading that the doctor who developed the PSA test(from Stanford IIRC)and removed many prostate glands based on its results came to regret the surgeries he performed based on what he came to see as a flawed test. Now, ironically, the cutting edge urologists are prescribing high doses of testosterone in aggressive types of PCa. Regarding prostate removal, unless the opinion comes from a urologist you absolutely trust, (or is prescribing your testosterone), get a 2nd and 3rd opinion!

Smokin Joe

Read The PSA Controversy part 2 dated 2013.
Good read.
I tried to attach the file but couldn't figure it out.
I know some personally who had prosectomy and are back on TRT after a 0 PSA.
Also know the most Urologist won't prescribe T after any cancer diagnosis.

Keepfit1

My PSA went up as well once on TRT.
It went from .7 to as high as 3.2 over time.
Currently it is at 2.4 and I am due six month test next week.
I am a firm believer in taking Boron 6-12 mg daily and a good grade of Stinging Nettle extract.
Watch and wait is best I think unless your PSA moves upwards rapidly.
I didn’t know boron helped, I know it lowers shbg but how does it help prostate

Keepfit1

New Member so please excuse me if I am not following protocol by posting this here. I am 64 and have been on TRT for 20 years gradually decreasing the dose over time as I am keep responding to a lower dose. I regularly check my PSA and it fluctuates with a high of 6 (came down with Cipro) to a low of 2. It stays mainly in the mid 3s with TRT but whenever it exceeds 4 I go off TRT for 30 days and retest my PSA. The PSA comes down to the mid 2s. DREs over the years have always been fine. Recent PSA was 2.7 with 15% free which came down from 5.7 after stopping TRT for 25 days. Are these types of fluctuations concerning? Thanks
What is Cipro

Smokin Joe

My PSA has steadily increased from .07 to 3.7 since 2007.
It has gone down to 2.5 at one instance when I stopped TRT.
Recently psa went to 4.5 when my Urologist checked it. I stopped trt about 3 months ago and it has come down to 3.7 using Lab Corp through Life Extension.
So I have opted for a biopsy but not rectal. I'm having to work through insurance.
In my case I think that a biopsy is in order due to family history.
Plus the doctor won't renew my perception unless I get it done.
Always something I think ..

Keepfit1

I just had a psa test and the numbers came back--6.7-my previous test 6 months ago was 4.2--i have been on testosterone replacement now for about 18 m0nths the psa numbers had went down from a 5.5 about 10 months ago to a 4.2 and now went back to 6.7--has anyone experienced this type of swing in psa numbers?is this a sign of prostate cancer?should i stop testosterone replacement--i am scheduled to see my urologist next week but any advice anyone can give me i will greatly appreciate---i am very afraid because of all the information about psa numbers and prostate cancer--my last testosterone numbers was 550--i take a dose of testosterone of 5% in lipoderm cream--i am 61 years old-steelworker--thank you keith
As others mentioned it’s important no ejaculation or vigorous exercise especially bike 48 hrs before test, make sure sufficient hydration. Cream can elevate DHT and hence BPH quite quickly, have you tested your DHT. It likely be BPH or prostitis ,if it was me I would get digital exam, repeat PSA and MRI before biopsy for sure. My PSA has slowly increased on T gel and seems dose dependant. It’s clear now T doesn’t cause prostrate cancer and for the first time ever I read recently in Urology Today that they are now fine with giving patients testosterone with localised (ie not spread) prostate cancer. i suspect the days of castrating people with antI androgens for prostate cancer may be numbered.
I also read that people with low T are more prone to PC. I think these urologists are pretty useless at figuring this all out. When I started on TRT 17 years ago we were being told T can cause PC and heart conditions, now we are being told the opposite.

Smokin Joe

Boron studie show that supplementation can decrease the chances of prostate cancer considerably.
Lots of information about boron on tbe web.
I've been using it for years at 6mg daily.

tropicaldaze1950

As others mentioned it’s important no ejaculation or vigorous exercise especially bike 48 hrs before test, make sure sufficient hydration. Cream can elevate DHT and hence BPH quite quickly, have you tested your DHT. It likely be BPH or prostitis ,if it was me I would get digital exam, repeat PSA and MRI before biopsy for sure. My PSA has slowly increased on T gel and seems dose dependant. It’s clear now T doesn’t cause prostrate cancer and for the first time ever I read recently in Urology Today that they are now fine with giving patients testosterone with localised (ie not spread) prostate cancer. i suspect the days of castrating people with antI androgens for prostate cancer may be numbered.
I also read that people with low T are more prone to PC. I think these urologists are pretty useless at figuring this all out. When I started on TRT 17 years ago we were being told T can cause PC and heart conditions, now we are being told the opposite.
My urologist is cutting edge(30+ years of prescribing T) and has said that the research, particularly from Dr. Morgentaler, indicates that TRT doesn't cause PCa and that men with low T seem to be at higher risk for PCa.

Smokin Joe

I hope this is attached correctly?
One of several studies out there about Borons effects on PC and Prostate tissue.

S.J.

Attachments

• ncomms13936.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 52

madman

Super Moderator
post # 6

Smokin Joe

Contrast Prostate MRI today.
Urologist just called at 18:00 hrs to report "Very Low" risk of cancer but heavy Prostate at 72 grams. My symptoms are mild at most. Watch and wait.
For those of you who suggested the MRI a big Thank you!
A month ago my Uro ordered the biopsy (TRUSS).
I went to my PCM with concerns about the procedure and he ordered the MRI.
If your PSA isn't sky-high get a second opinion.
I am holding off of TRT for awhile and doing things on my own.
Thanks again for a great place to come and ask questions and get great advice!
Excelmale!!!

Hyrulewarrior1978

Contrast Prostate MRI today.
Urologist just called at 18:00 hrs to report "Very Low" risk of cancer but heavy Prostate at 72 grams. My symptoms are mild at most. Watch and wait.
For those of you who suggested the MRI a big Thank you!
A month ago my Uro ordered the biopsy (TRUSS).
I went to my PCM with concerns about the procedure and he ordered the MRI.
If your PSA isn't sky-high get a second opinion.
I am holding off of TRT for awhile and doing things on my own.
Thanks again for a great place to come and ask questions and get great advice!
Excelmale!!!
How long have you been on trt?

Drug350

After reading this topic I'm somewhat relieved. My PSA on 11/15/2022 = .5 ng/ml. I started TRT, 100 MG's Testosterone Cypionate weekly, IM, on 12/13/2022. I just had blood work ran today, 01/11/2023, 1 month on TRT and PSA = 1.4 ng/ml. My libido has gone from non-existent with ED, to off the charts and I've been having sex every single day, multiple times each day, and 3 times yesterday. So after reading this forum topic, it sounds like a rise in PSA is normal starting TRT. I didn't realize having sex before the PSA test that that would affect the results too. I'll try to abstain before my next blood test. I feel a million times better overall since starting TRT. I'm 54 yrs old. Before starting on TRT, my Total Test = 162, Free Test = 3.1, Bioavailable = 70.1. Every part of my life has improved dramatically, especially my libido, ED, and sleep quality. I'm just hoping my Urologist won't take issue with this PSA change. I assume this is perfectly normal ???

Smokin Joe

I'm glad that you got those results from TRT right from the start.
Especially libido. My over-all experience was really the opposite for the most part when it came to libido.
When I started T my PSA was .5 to .7. It is now hovering around 3.7. My Uro frowns on it but has cooperated till recently. I haven't pressed him as I had a couple of other problems going on unrelated to T.
Good luck with your trek.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching