PSA during TRT in Older Men: Data from a Controlled Trial

Buy Lab Tests Online

madman

Super Moderator
Prostate Specific Antigen Levels during Testosterone Treatment of Hypogonadal Older Men: Data from a Controlled Trial

Abstract

Context
Prostate specific antigen (PSA) changes during testosterone treatment of older hypogonadal men have not been rigorously evaluated. The Endocrine Society Guidelines recommendation of urological referral for a confirmed increase in PSA >1.4 ng/mL is not based on PSA changes in testosterone-treated men.

Design
Double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial.

Setting
Twelve United States academic medical centers.

Participants
790 hypogonadal men ≥65 years with average testosterone levels ≤275 ng/dL. Men at high risk for prostate cancer were excluded.

Interventions
Testosterone or placebo gel for 12 months.

Main outcomes
Percentile changes in PSA during testosterone treatment for 12 months.

Results
Testosterone treatment that increased testosterone levels from 232 ±63 ng/dL to mid-normal was associated with a small but significantly greater increase (p<0.001) in PSA levels than placebo treatment. Serum PSA levels increased from 1.14±0.86 ng/mL (mean ±SD) at baseline by 0.47±1.1 ng/mL at 12 months in the testosterone group and from 1.25±0.86 ng/mL by 0.06±0.72 ng/mL in the placebo group. Five percent of men treated with testosterone had an increase ≥1.7 ng/mL and 2.5% of men had an increase of ≥3.4 ng/mL. A confirmed absolute PSA >4.0 ng/mL at 12 months was observed in 1.9% of men in the testosterone group and 0.3% in the placebo group. Four men were diagnosed with prostate cancer; two were Gleason 8.

Conclusions
When hypogonadal, older men with normal baseline PSA are treated with testosterone, 5% had an increase in PSA ≥1.7 ng/mL,
and 2.5% had an increase ≥3.4 ng/mL.

Source

Last edited by a moderator:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

rugbyhit

When i first started TRT i...which was with a TRT mill, they had me on 400mg/wk to start and my PSA went from .9ng/mL to 6.8ng/mL. I was stupid and uninformed. It then dropped to 4.6 to about a 2.6 ave. I got off TRT for a while and it dropped to 2.1 in the short 2 months I stopped. When i started back up it went to 2.7 and has since settled at 2.5.

I've been on TRT since July of 2017. I'm 55 yo and with no underlying medical condition other than age related T decline that prompted my to start TRT.

TorontoTRT

Mine went from 0.93 a year before trt, to 0.77 three months into TRT, but then a sizable rise to 1.8 ten months after the 0.77 reading. Any cause for concern at the velocity?

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me