Protein Sources for Best Health and Lean Mass

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Protein

By Michael Mooney

From the book: Built to Survive (available on products page)

To reduce the loss of lean body mass and to increase it, I suggest that your diet include extra protein that totals at least 3/4 gram per pound of body weight per day. If you lift weights, studies by world-renowned protein scientist Dr. Peter Lemon show that you may need a total of at least 0.8 grams of protein per pound of body weight per day for optimal increases in lean body mass.http://www.excelmale.com/#_edn1 [ii] If you are not allergic to dairy protein, consider eating cottage cheese as a “best” protein for building muscle, as it contains a great amount of the amino acid L-glutamine, which is discussed below. (Note: dairy allergy can cause diarrhea.)

Also consider supplementing your food protein with a protein powder drink two or three times per day. Note that the dairy protein called casein, seen on labels as calcium caseinate, appears to have the potential to be somewhat more effective for improving lean body mass than other proteins, like whey.[iii]

http://www.excelmale.com/#_ednref1 Lemon, PW, et al. Do athletes need more dietary protein and amino acids? Int J Sports Nutri (1995) 5:S39-S61.

[ii] Lemon, PW, et al. Protein requirements and muscle mass strength changes during intensive training in novice bodybuilders. J Appl Physiol (1992) 73(2):767-775.

[iii] Boirie, Y, et al. Slow and fast dietary proteins differently modulate postprandial protein accretion. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science USA (1997) 94: 14930-14935.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Lombard

The natural protein is more effective for the best health, leans muscles, fat burning, and weight control.
Some best natural proteins are eggs, fish, meat, chicken, milk, yogurt, cheese, nuts, and green leafy vegetables.

bootcampmaitland

Last edited:

robs2nd75

Nelson, does the suggested amount take into consideration obesity/ body composition? When I calculate based on current weight the calories are outrageous. If we say that to maintain x muscle mass we must consume y protein does that correlate w/ building muscle mass, especially in a body w/ excessive adipose? (not sure if that makes sense).

JWSimpkins

Quality counts!

I like grass fed beef, lamb, goat and calves liver, free range chicken and eggs, wild caught salmon, trout, shrimp and scallops, raw milk cheeses, grass fed goat whey protein powder and collagen hydrolysate powder.

Dave Barry

Both broccoli and nuts have a low biological value, thus, are not considered a quality source of protein. On another subject, protein recommendations are not based upon current LBM, nor do they take body composition into account.

Last edited:
Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching