Progesterone in Men

Buy Lab Tests Online

Davet

Hi guys

I have sacked my GP becuz as I have mentioned before...she is clueless... promised me a full set of labs in March & all got was my T level checked again...waste of space !
So I have booked up a meeting with a private doc to take over control of my therapy.
In the correspondence that was sent across to me ...my new doc mentions controlling E2 issues with progesterone.

Whats the deal with this ? have any members followed this protocol successfully or is it one to avoid ?

Thanks guys.

Davet

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
Prog can be used by men as a biohack in some very specific cases, and then only temporarily. By no means should be used as a primary intervention or treatment for men.

For women prog can be a miracle. That may be confusing some docs if they assume treatment for menopausal females is similar to hypogonadal males (which happens!).

Vince

Super Moderator
High Progesterone Levels in Men

Progesterone is a hormone in both men and women that is converted into testosterone and estrogen. According to MayoClinic.com, progesterone levels typically drop with age and affect testosterone production. At the same time, estrogen levels rise in older men, creating a hormone imbalance. Progesterone supplements often are used to treat hormone imbalances and to protect men against prostate cancer and other prostate-related conditions.

Effects

High progesterone levels in men cause an increase in estrogen production, which can lead to a number of problems. According to MayoClinic.com, excessive estrogen is linked to heart conditions, depression and fatigue. Higher estrogen levels can lead to an enlarged prostate. Other side effects of an increase in estrogen caused by high progesterone levels include prostate inflammation, urination difficulties and erectile dysfunction.

Features

Men produce approximately 5 to 15 mg of progesterone in their testicles each day, which in turn increases estrogen levels. In addition to the natural production process of the hormones, environmental factors and activity levels can increase the progesterone and estrogen levels, according to Health Fitness Australia. Increased exercise often lowers hormone levels and chemical exposure can affect hormonal balances. Household products that contain dioxin can enter the bloodstream and affect progesterone and other hormonal levels, according to the National Institute of Environmental Sciences. Dioxin commonly is used to manufacture plastics, cleaning products and lubricants.

Considerations

Progesterone often is prescribed for men to treat infertility and prostate conditions. The hormone is available in natural and synthetic forms, each of which carries various side effects, according to the National Institutes on Aging. Hormone replacement drugs for men usually are prescribed in pill or cream form and should not exceed 6 to 10 mg per day. Excessive amounts of the replacement hormone can cause lethargy and fatigue. Men who take progesterone replacement drugs often experience joint pain, glucose intolerance and swelling.

Other Potential Effects

Untreated, other complications can occur if progesterone levels continue to rise. Men with an increased level of estrogen in their bodies tend to develop additional fat around the abdomen, which has been linked to an increased risk of heart disease. They may experience a decrease in facial hair growth and an increase in fatty deposits in their breasts.

[Benefits

Natural increases in progesterone levels in men also can produce positive benefits as noted by researchers at the University of Michigan. Since progesterone reduces anxiety levels in men and can help to create an environment for attentive lovers as testosterone also rises. Watching a romantic movie with a partner can raise progesterone levels in men as much as 10 percent and coupled with the reduced tension, makes them calmer and more available to meet their partner's needs as well as their own.

Last edited by a moderator:

Davet

Progesterone is a hormone in both men and women that is converted into testosterone and estrogen. According to MayoClinic.com, progesterone levels typically drop with age and affect testosterone production. At the same time, estrogen levels rise in older men, creating a hormone imbalance. Progesterone supplements often are used to treat hormone imbalances and to protect men against prostate cancer and other prostate-related conditions.
Effects

High progesterone levels in men cause an increase in estrogen production, which can lead to a number of problems. According to MayoClinic.com, excessive estrogen is linked to heart conditions, depression and fatigue. Higher estrogen levels can lead to an enlarged prostate. Other side effects of an increase in estrogen caused by high progesterone levels include prostate inflammation, urination difficulties and erectile dysfunction.
Features

Men produce approximately 5 to 15 mg of progesterone in their testicles each day, which in turn increases estrogen levels. In addition to the natural production process of the hormones, environmental factors and activity levels can increase the progesterone and estrogen levels, according to Health Fitness Australia. Increased exercise often lowers hormone levels and chemical exposure can affect hormonal balances. Household products that contain dioxin can enter the bloodstream and affect progesterone and other hormonal levels, according to the National Institute of Environmental Sciences. Dioxin commonly is used to manufacture plastics, cleaning products and lubricants.

Considerations

Progesterone often is prescribed for men to treat infertility and prostate conditions. The hormone is available in natural and synthetic forms, each of which carries various side effects, according to the National Institutes on Aging. Hormone replacement drugs for men usually are prescribed in pill or cream form and should not exceed 6 to 10 mg per day. Excessive amounts of the replacement hormone can cause lethargy and fatigue. Men who take progesterone replacement drugs often experience joint pain, glucose intolerance and swelling.

Other Potential Effects

Untreated, other complications can occur if progesterone levels continue to rise. Men with an increased level of estrogen in their bodies tend to develop additional fat around the abdomen, which has been linked to an increased risk of heart disease. They may experience a decrease in facial hair growth and an increase in fatty deposits in their breasts.
Benefits

Natural increases in progesterone levels in men also can produce positive benefits as noted by researchers at the University of Michigan. Since progesterone reduces anxiety levels in men and can help to create an environment for attentive lovers as testosterone also rises. Watching a romantic movie with a partner can raise progesterone levels in men as much as 10 percent and coupled with the reduced tension, makes them calmer and more available to meet their partner's needs as well as their own.http://www.livestrong.com/article/290358-high-progesterone-levels-in-men/

Thanks guys...I would say reading your article Vince its one to avoid if I can.

Cheers

Davet

Great article Ero.......that helps me understand where my new Doc is coming from...might just be the tweak I need to fine tune my therapy....:)

Reading Dr Johns book he reckons he always throws HCG and Progesterone into the mix to back fill the pathways to achieve a better balance/homeostasis status.
Cheers

Davet, are you sure Crisler recommended progesterone and not pregnenolone? Elsewhere he is pretty adamant that exogenous prog has feminizing effects in men and that he never has his patients use it.

Davet

Back filling...

Davet, are you sure Crisler recommended progesterone and not pregnenolone? Elsewhere he is pretty adamant that exogenous prog has feminizing effects in men and that he never has his patients use it.
Hi Torrential ...printed it off yesterday to take up to my docs with me next week...I'm pretty sure it was from Dr T's 2009 paper....I will check again tonight just to make sure my memories not failing me ...lol

ERO

FWIW - I have used progesterone @ 10mg per day as a topical in the past for a good 3 months and it had no feminizing effect on me whatsoever. In fact, it lowered my E2 a bit. I am using pregnenolone as a topical now, but I would have no problem going back to progesterone.

Davet

Preg

Hi Torrential ...printed it off yesterday to take up to my docs with me next week...I'm pretty sure it was from Dr T's 2009 paper....I will check again tonight just to make sure my memories not failing me ...lol

Hi Torrential

My mistake...you were correct Dr T backfills with Preg and not Prog...must concentrate more :(

Aleeri

I think the general idea is that men should use Pregnenolone to get Progestereone levels up into good range, that way you avoid estrogen issues that straight Progesterone would give.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
High progesterone levels are associated with family history of premature coronary artery disease in young healthy adult men

PLoS One. 2019 Apr 15;14(4):e0215302. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0215302. eCollection 2019.

High progesterone levels are associated with family history of premature coronary artery disease in young healthy adult men.

Abstract
BACKGROUND & AIMS:
The offspring of patients with premature coronary artery disease (P-CAD) are at higher risk for cardiovascular disease, compared with subjects without a family history (FH) of P-CAD. The increased risk for cardiovascular disease in subjects with FH of early-onset CAD results from unfavorable genetic variants as well as social, behavioral and environmental factors, which are more prevalent in this group. Previous studies have shown that specific sex hormone levels may be associated with the risk of cardiovascular disease. The aim of this study was to compare wide range of biochemical marker levels including i.e. the levels of luteinizing hormone (LH), follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH), progesterone, estradiol, testosterone and sex-hormone binding globulin (SHBG) between young healthy male adults with and without FH of P-CAD.

METHODS:
The study group consisted of young healthy Polish male adults enrolled in a MAGNETIC case-control study, who were recruited between July 2015 and October 2017. The inclusion criteria were as follows: male sex, age ≥18 and ≤35 years old, FH of P-CAD (cases) or no P-CAD in first-degree relatives (controls). The comparison of continuous and categorical variables was performed using the Student's t-test or the U-Mann-Whitney test, and Fisher's exact test, respectively. The correlations between FSH, LH, testosterone, progesterone, SHBG and other laboratory parameters were assessed using the Spearman rank correlation test. Both univariable and multivariable logistic regression analyses were performed to assess the association between analyzed variables and FH of P-CAD.

RESULTS:
A total of 411 subjects (223 cases and 188 controls) were included in the study. There was a higher prevalence of major cardiovascular risk factors in subjects with FH of P-CAD (smoking, higher total and LDL cholesterol levels, higher body mass index and lower HDL cholesterol level). Moreover, the offspring of patients with P-CAD had lower SHBG level, and higher LH and progesterone levels in the crude comparison, compared with individuals without FH of P-CAD. After adjustment for confounding variables, progesterone and LH were determined to be independently associated with FH of P-CAD.

CONCLUSION:
Progesterone and LH levels are significantly associated with FH of P-CAD, independent of traditional risk factors for CAD.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com

In humans, the production rate of progesterone amounts to 0.15 mg/day in prepubertal boys, 0.416 to 0.75 mg/day in men, 0.253 mg/day in prepubertal girls, 0.418 to 50 mg/day in women (depending on phase in the menstrual cycle), and 92 to 563 mg/day in pregnant women (depending on trimester of pregnancy).

From literature data the following can be extracted. Due to rapid absorption from the gut and an extensive (first-pass) metabolism in the liver and gastro-intestinal tract, the oral bioavailability of exogenously administered progesterone is less than 10%. Circulating progesterone is bound to proteins in blood. In the body, progesterone accumulates in fatty tissue due to its lipophylic
properties, and in tissues/organs containing progesterone-receptors.

Source: https://www.ema.europa.eu/documents...ommittee-veterinary-medicinal-products_en.pdf

Last edited:

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com