Preservation of sexual function with minimally invasive surgical treatments for BPH

Buy Lab Tests Online

madman

Super Moderator
There is a strong association between benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH)/lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) and sexual dysfunction. While transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) is considered the standard BPH treatment, it is however associated with a high rate of erectile and ejaculatory dysfunctions. Over the past decade, new and novel minimally invasive BPH therapies have been shown to improve various parameters of voiding domains while minimizing adverse sexual effects. These minimally invasive BPH therapies can be largely be divided into those with cavitating technology (Rezum, Histotripsy, Aquablation), intra-prostatic injections (Botulinum neurotoxin Type A, Fexapotide Triflutate, prostate-specific antigen-activated protoxin PRX-302), and mechanical devices which include intraprostatic stents (Urospinal 2TM, MemothermTM, MemokathTM, and Allium triangular prostatic stentTM) and intraprostatic devices (iTINDTM, UroliftTM), as well as prostatic artery embolization. Published literature on these technologies showed reasonable preservation of erectile function with limited data reported on the ejaculatory domain. Further validation of the performance of these novels minimally invasive treatment options for LUTS due to BPH in well-designed and multi-center studies are desired, to evaluate their role (or lack of such a role) in clinical practice and whether these BPH therapies can provide equivalent standard or better than TURP.

INTRODUCTION

Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) contributes to lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS) such as urinary hesitancy, dribbling, weak stream, and frequency [1].Epidemiological studies showed that 50% of men in their fifties will have BPH symptoms [2], and the incidence of LUTS in this age group is estimated as high as 25% in some studies[2,3]. Erectile dysfunction (ED) and ejaculatory disorders are prevalent in sexually active men with LUTS and both conditions correlate with LUTS severity independently of age and cardiovascular comorbidities [3,4]. The prevalence of ED and concurrent BPH has been reported to be as high as 40% and men with ED are 6 times more likely to have BPH than men without BPH [5]. Moreover, it is known that the severity of LUTS and sexual dysfunction are both independently correlated with lower quality of life (QoL) scores [6].

The link between LUTS and ED has been explained through several pathophysiological pathways involving nitric oxide guanosine monophosphate and RhoA/Rho-kinase, metabolic syndrome, autonomic hyperactivity, pelvic ischemia, sex hormones imbalance, inflammatory pathway, and psychological factors [7]. Clinically, the resolution of LUTS appears to correlate with an improvement in sexual function but not in a linear fashion [8]. There appears to be an intricate balance between adequate prostatic tissue resection to improve the bladder outflow tract and preservation of critical structures responsible for sexual function.

Although transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) is considered the surgical standard for BPH therapy, it is however, associated with a high rate of male sexual dysfunction such as ED (3.4%–32%) and ejaculatory dysfunction (53%–72%) [9].The proposed pathophysiologic mechanisms for retrograde ejaculation and/or decreased ejaculation are related to inadvertent resection of tissue paracollicular and supracollicular tissue at the verumontanum and decreased the volume of prostate tissue following resection respectively [1,8]. Furthermore, the use of high-frequency generated energy current close to the prostate capsule may cause neuropraxia injury to the nearby neuromuscular bundles, resulting in the development and/or progression of ED [1,9]. Additionally, some studies highlighted the potential psychosocial factors or ensuing urinary symptoms such as urgency or incontinence as contributing factors to the subsequent development of male sexual dysfunction [2-4, 6].

Hence, over the last decade, there is a paradigm shift towards effective yet minimally invasive BPH surgical therapy with minimal sexual dysfunction postoperatively. The following article reviews the current minimally invasive BPH surgical treatments with an emphasis on the impact of these therapies on sexual function preservation (Table 1).

1.Cavitation technology or techniques
Similar to conventional TURP which resects prostate tissue to open the prostatic urethra and bladder outlet, these novels minimally invasive BPH devices cause prostatic tissue cavitation through various energy sources.

1) RezumTM - convective water vapor energy therapy
2) Histotripsy
3) Aquablation system

2.Intra-prostatic injectables
Intra-prostatic injections with different agents have been explored with the proposed advantages of being administered under local anesthesia in an outpatient setting and are suitable for older and co-morbid patients who are not suitable or fit for surgery. These injectable drugs include Botulinum neurotoxin type A, Fexapotide Triflutate (FT) (NX-1207; Nymox Pharmaceutical Corporation, Hasbrouck Heights, NJ, USA), and PRX-302 (Topsalysin; Sophiris Bio Corp, La Jolla, CA, USA). Of note, the ethanol injection has been abandoned due to significant TRAE.

1) Botulinum neurotoxin Type A
2) Fexapotide Triflutate (NX-1207)
3) Prostate-specific antigen-activated protoxin (PRX-302)

3.Mechanical devices
1) Intraprostatic stents The first experiment on the use of expandable metallic stents as a valid treatment for BPH was published by Fabian in 1980 [42]. Since then, there have been multiple intraprostatic stents, either temporary non-epithelializing type or a permanent type that fasten onto the prostate stroma through epithelialization, have been introduced and tested to keep the prostatic urethra patent. Given the dearth of robust evidence, some of these stents have been phased out and withdrawn from the commercial market.

(1) Urospinal 2TM
(2) MemothermTM
(3) MemokathTM
(4) AlliumTM triangular prostatic stent

2) Intraprostatic devices
(1) iTINDTM (i-Temporary Implantable Nitinol Device)
(2) Prostatic urethral lift (UroliftTM)

4.Prostatic artery embolization

CONCLUSIONS

It has become evident that an improvement in LUTS coupled with the preservation of male sexual function especially erectile and ejaculatory functions are of paramount importance for many sexually active men who are contemplating BPH surgery.
To date, there are very few direct comparative clinical trials among these minimally invasive BPH technologies, and further studies are required to ensure optimal patient selection, analyze cost-effectiveness, and counsel patients on longer-term clinical outcomes and safety profile.

Attachments

• 2021MAR6-BPH-LUTS-2020ICU_icu-62-148.pdf
    384.2 KB · Views: 65
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

madman

Super Moderator
Table 1. Minimally invasive BPH surgical treatments with known limited or no adverse impact on sexual function
Screenshot (3746).png

I recently had Green Wave surgery for my prostate and have been very pleased with the results. It was done on February 11 and have had sex three times in the past week and a half. Not only was sex not impaired, but orgasms are noticeably better. So far very happy with the results.

Joe Sixpack

I recently had Green Wave surgery for my prostate and have been very pleased with the results. It was done on February 11 and have had sex three times in the past week and a half. Not only was sex not impaired, but orgasms are noticeably better. So far very happy with the results.
Excellent. Did everything go OK? Did you have to use a catheter?

Excellent. Did everything go OK? Did you have to use a catheter?
I did for six days after. I had the whole deal and was self catheterizinng three weeks before. Funny thing was I use zoom exclusively for work and I had the bag three days while I worked. I was able to work out a bit, as I work exclusively with bands and you can improvise a lot of ways to get a good pump on. Most do not need a catheter, but my situation was pretty bad as I almost waited too long to get this done.

broker

Mountain man
you didnt lose ejaculation? What exactly is that procedure, what do they do?
age ?
were you awake?
how is your urine stream now?

Mountain man
you didnt lose ejaculation? What exactly is that procedure, what do they do?
age ?
were you awake?
how is your urine stream now?
I lost almost all. There is some, but not much. I was not overly concerned, things had gotten real bad.

The procedure involves laser surgery. The og in through the urethra and burn some of the prostate tissue to widen it to improved urine flow. I was under general anesthesia. Some do it as a day procedure, my doctor kept me overnight.

Urine stream is strong. I am 67 this month. I wish I did it years ago. Fear was losing sexual activity, but it is rarely the case. Erections came back, but I use PDE5s. Sex is as good as it ever has been. Well worth it.

Joe Sixpack

I lost almost all. There is some, but not much. I was not overly concerned, things had gotten real bad.

The procedure involves laser surgery. The og in through the urethra and burn some of the prostate tissue to widen it to improved urine flow. I was under general anesthesia. Some do it as a day procedure, my doctor kept me overnight.

Urine stream is strong. I am 67 this month. I wish I did it years ago. Fear was losing sexual activity, but it is rarely the case. Erections came back, but I use PDE5s. Sex is as good as it ever has been. Well worth it.
I would like to have green laser surgery, but when I read the various studies, there's a pretty high amount of retrograde ejaculation. Which I guess might be less messy. But I'm concerned about any potential issues w/ how sex feels afterwards and whether my penis would still funcion the same. I'm going to have to do something pretty soon

I would like to have green laser surgery, but when I read the various studies, there's a pretty high amount of retrograde ejaculation. Which I guess might be less messy. But I'm concerned about any potential issues w/ how sex feels afterwards and whether my penis would still funcion the same. I'm going to have to do something pretty soon
The pros and cons of the various surgeries need to be weighed. Every one of these procedures runs the risk of retrograde ejaculation, and you may not be a good candidate for the surgery that you want. If you get the wrong surgery for your situation you are likely to need the procedure every couple of years. The penis, at least for me, functions the same and the orgasms seem better and easier to obtain. At my age it is kind of a choice. Continued good life quality and a great sex life or a great sex life while much of your day is running to the bathroom. Sure, I miss huge ejaculations, but it feels the same.

I should have got this done earlier. I was urinating sometimes 20 times per day in very small amounts. I had an average of 24 oz. in my bladder all day and the backup was creating kidney enlargement and stomach issues. I still am going 10-12 times per day, but approximately 4 are in the first few hours after waking, so it is a great relief to be out and about and not have to seek a bathroom, or a wooded area, or whatever was available. My bladder muscles were stretched over the years. The doctor explained it as the pipes were cleared and the pump, the bladder, is not as strong as it should be due to the stress over the years. Over time the bladder may get some strength back..or not, but it will not get worse. I am so grateful at my age to be having great sex three times per week and being able to last about as long as I want to. Knowing what I know now, getting one of these minimally invasive procedures done is a no brainer.

Joe Sixpack

The pros and cons of the various surgeries need to be weighed. Every one of these procedures runs the risk of retrograde ejaculation, and you may not be a good candidate for the surgery that you want. If you get the wrong surgery for your situation you are likely to need the procedure every couple of years. The penis, at least for me, functions the same and the orgasms seem better and easier to obtain. At my age it is kind of a choice. Continued good life quality and a great sex life or a great sex life while much of your day is running to the bathroom. Sure, I miss huge ejaculations, but it feels the same.

I should have got this done earlier. I was urinating sometimes 20 times per day in very small amounts. I had an average of 24 oz. in my bladder all day and the backup was creating kidney enlargement and stomach issues. I still am going 10-12 times per day, but approximately 4 are in the first few hours after waking, so it is a great relief to be out and about and not have to seek a bathroom, or a wooded area, or whatever was available. My bladder muscles were stretched over the years. The doctor explained it as the pipes were cleared and the pump, the bladder, is not as strong as it should be due to the stress over the years. Over time the bladder may get some strength back..or not, but it will not get worse. I am so grateful at my age to be having great sex three times per week and being able to last about as long as I want to. Knowing what I know now, getting one of these minimally invasive procedures done is a no brainer.
I appreciate your response. I am nearly in the same position you were before the procedure. The green laser is one of the most effective treatments. Some of the new lower impact procedures sometimes have less side FX but are often not as effective. Tough choices.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me