Prefilled testosterone syringes: rubber plunger bloating!

Buy Lab Tests Online

Are prefilled testosterone syringes safe?

• The rubber in prefilled syringes clearly expands, degrades and does not appear to be safe.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rubber may contaminate the medicine

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

chriskchris

Hi everyone.

Noticed on this forum some talk in the archives about prefilled syringes. Well, it has been something I have been doing for numerous years at times without realizing it was wrong. Below you can see a picture of a syringe filled with cypionate about two weeks ago, now showing great expansion (left side) compared to a syringe just out of the wrap. Needless to say I will waste an entire 10ml vial of cypionate as I won't be injecting rubber. Not sure if this is contributed to the loss of potency or seemingly sudden failure of cypionate on my end after years but it is something I will be eliminating from the HRT routine.

20230306_142719.jpg

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Cataceous

Super Moderator
A lot of guys do it, but this is a good illustration of why it may not be such a good idea. Although the swelling of the stopper doesn't necessarily imply contamination, the interaction is concerning enough that I think you're wise to err on the side of caution. I've seen that ethyl oleate can do something similar to vial stoppers made from the "wrong" material.

T

tareload

Devil is in the details. Don't prefill syringes unless you understand the details.

The BD SCF™ PremiumCoat™* Plunger Stopper features a bromobutyl rubber formulation (6720GC)3 and incorporates a fluropolymer coating - Ethylene tetrafluoroethylene (ETFE)3. The quality of these stoppers** is verified, in part, using BD Visioguard™ 100% camera inspection to help reduce the risk of foreign matter contaminationμ4.

Prefilled syringes (PFS) constitute a widely used medical device for drug delivery particularly for the drugs of biological origin. Interactions between the product contents and the components of the PFS play a critical role in determining the suitability of selected PFS. A diluent (with benzyl alcohol/BzOH as a preservative) containing PFS used for reconstitution of the lyophilized product revealed a systematic decrease in the BzOH content during accelerated and stress stability program. Investigation was carried out to understand and identify the underlying causes of this phenomenon. BzOH has a varying propensity to bind to the rubber components (stopper and tip-cap) of the PFS. Vapor permeation behavior across the tip-cap of the PFS was studied via headspace-gas chromatography-mass spectroscopy (HS-GC-MS) enabled analysis. Depending on the properties of the rubber components, BzOH can not only bind but also traverse across them, resulting in a systematic loss during the course of the stability. PFS can allow not only water vapor permeation across the tip-cap as shown in previous studies, but also molecules like benzyl alcohol. This phenomenon stresses the need for careful selection of the components of the primary packaging and also provides an opportunity to deploy novel tools like HS-GC-MS in the early selection of the optimal primary packaging configuration.

1678203711553.png

Last edited by a moderator:

madman

Super Moderator
Hi everyone.

Noticed on this forum some talk in the archives about prefilled syringes. Well, it has been something I have been doing for numerous years at times without realizing it was wrong. Below you can see a picture of a syringe filled with cypionate about two weeks ago, now showing great expansion (left side) compared to a syringe just out of the wrap. Needless to say I will waste an entire 10ml vial of cypionate as I won't be injecting rubber. Not sure if this is contributed to the loss of potency or seemingly sudden failure of cypionate on my end after years but it is something I will be eliminating from the HRT routine.

View attachment 29824

Never heard of anyone pre-loading 3 ml syringes on trt and storing them for 2 weeks at a time for that dare I say stone-aged 200 mg/mL injection every 14 days protocol!

Look up the PKs (TC/TE).

You would have been far better off using a much lower weekly dose of T and injecting more frequently.

Many that choose the more frequent injection protocol (EOD or daily) are following a low-dose protocol.

If anything most men on trt that are preloading syringes would be those that are injecting more frequently (EOD/daily) using lower volumes of the oily solution and would most likely be using a .5 ml (50 unit) or .3 mL (30 unit) LDS insulin syringe (fixed needle).

Mind you there are also some men injecting the high-end 150-200 mg/week T split EOD or even daily.

Let alone it would be far more common to pre-load a week's worth, not 2!

Where are all those pics on the forum of those .5/.3 mL pre-loaded insulin syringes (5-14 units esterified T) with the bloated/degraded stoppers?

The BD link was already posted in this thread!

*Of course, there are differences in some of the materials used between preloaded syringes and Luer lock hub, polypropylene slip hub, and fixed insulin syringes but when it comes to the materials used for the plunger rubber tip most of the large syringe manufacturing companies are using materials designed for:

BD Plunger Stoppers - BD

*Biocompatibility; toxicology; and extractable, leachable, and pharmacopeia compliance

madman

Super Moderator
Screenshot (21281).png

Attachments

• Feb_2023_OnDD_Prefilled_Syringes_Injection_Devices_GabrielZenkerInterview.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 53
  • BD51244_BDSCFPremiumCoat_Article (2).pdf
    961.9 KB · Views: 34
  • BD-30495-BD-PremiumCoat-plunger-stopper-brochure (1).pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 48

lukdiver

Been back-filling Easy-Touch insulin syringes for a year now. Just looked at the ones I have racked up (I do 7-8 at a time) and as I inject EOD some are 2wks old before I use them up. Don't see any swelling comparing a empty syringe.

BJE

I inject testosterone cypionate with insulin syringes. I don’t pre fill them but frequently by the time I have them filled, which takes a few minutes, the rubber has already expanded and it’s hard to push the plunger in when I inject.

BJE

Never heard of anyone pre-loading 3 ml syringes on trt and storing them for 2 weeks at a time for that dare I say stone-aged 200 mg/mL injection every 14 days protocol!

Look up the PKs (TC/TE).

You would have been far better off using a much lower weekly dose of T and injecting more frequently.

Many that choose the more frequent injection protocol (EOD or daily) are following a low-dose protocol.

If anything most men on trt that are preloading syringes would be those that are injecting more frequently (EOD/daily) using lower volumes of the oily solution and would most likely be using a .5 ml (50 unit) or .3 mL (30 unit) LDS insulin syringe (fixed needle).

Mind you there are also some men injecting the high-end 150-200 mg/week T split EOD or even daily.

Let alone it would be far more common to pre-load a week's worth, not 2!

Where are all those pics on the forum of those .5/.3 mL pre-loaded insulin syringes (5-14 units esterified T) with the bloated/degraded stoppers?

I inject both testosterone cypionate and HCG every three days using .5ml insulin syringes with 31g 6mm needles. The rubber starts to swell as soon as the oil hits it. The plunger doesn’t like to stay out on its own for filling but soon after the oil hits the rubber it stays in place and occasionally I can barely get it injected because of the stiffness of the plunger.

Jed Dorsey

Been back-filling Easy-Touch insulin syringes for a year now. Just looked at the ones I have racked up (I do 7-8 at a time) and as I inject EOD some are 2wks old before I use them up. Don't see any swelling comparing an empty syringe.
I do the same and no stopper swelling here. The OP didn’t mention the temperature he stores them at that maybe the culprit

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me