Paradoxical Increase in Adrenal Activity from Exogenous Test?

Buy Lab Tests Online
All the literature I've read suggests that exogenous testosterone tends to have a suppressive effect on adrenal (and potentially thyroid) activity. It makes sense -- if your body has enough hormones, you won't be generating as much pregnenolone -> other hormones (including cortisol downstream).

With that said, why has my adrenal activity, (preg, cortisol, progesterone, etc.) been high on TRT? I started testing these as I haven't felt well since starting TRT. I feel "tired but wired" a lot. Sleep issues. Memory issues. Libido issues. Many more issues that are possibly the result of this increased adrenal activity. It's possible that adrenaline is elevated as well, but this is more difficult to test (metabolite tests aren't super reliable).

Has anyone else experienced this, and what did you do to fix it? I dropped my dose before, and it seemed to help with some of the adrenal sides, but I also lost the positive effects of TRT (muscle, sexuality, etc.).

It's debated whether taking exogenous test decreases thyroid activity, but it makes physiological sense. I tried adding T3 (10mg cytomel in the morning), as it's known that cortisol and adrenaline can sometimes "take over" as a means of energy when thyroid production is too low. I have changed too many things too many times and unsure if it has had any impact - be it positive or negative.

Feel free to chime in and share your knowledge!

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

StepbyStep

I know that "wired but tired" feeling, I felt it almost the entire time I was on injections.

Out of curiosity what do your adrenal labs look like? Have you done a dinural cortisol test?

IDK if it helps or not but there is a supplement called phosphatidylserine that has been shown to lower Cortisol in studies.

Last edited:
I know that "wired but tired" feeling, I felt it almost the entire time I was on injections.

Out of curiosity what do your adrenal labs look like? Have you done a dinural cortisol test?

IDK if it helps or not but there is a supplement called phosphatidylserine that has been shown to lower Cortisol in studies.
Since I'm on mobile right now, I'll have to upload the labs later. What did you switch to from injections? Have you felt any improvements?

Pregnenolone, cortisol, and progesterone were all high. DHEA-S was not tested, but I assume it was likely high as well. I was hoping these would eventually all "level out," especially after adding thyroid, but it doesn't seem like that is the case...

I used PS a bit in the past. It may have helped a bit but definitely wasn't night/day difference. I'm trying to reduce as many variables as possible at the moment.

I hope to get new labs soon to see what's happening, and hopefully get a more complete picture.

Note: Since starting TRT, my estrogen has always been low relative to T levels (must have little aromatase - low body fat), and I suspect this may be a contributing factor...

StepbyStep

Since I'm on mobile right now, I'll have to upload the labs later. What did you switch to from injections? Have you felt any improvements?

Pregnenolone, cortisol, and progesterone were all high. DHEA-S was not tested, but I assume it was likely high as well. I was hoping these would eventually all "level out," especially after adding thyroid, but it doesn't seem like that is the case...

I used PS a bit in the past. It may have helped a bit but definitely wasn't night/day difference. I'm trying to reduce as many variables as possible at the moment.

I hope to get new labs soon to see what's happening, and hopefully get a more complete picture.

Note: Since starting TRT, my estrogen has always been low relative to T levels (must have little aromatase - low body fat), and I suspect this may be a contributing factor...
Gotcha, looking forward to the labs and hearing what other have to say. I don't have the answers for you unfortunately. I do however have high DHEAs, and just started a thread on it recently. My Cortisol is normal(High AM, low PM).

My Current protocol is in my signature, and I've been on it since 2019. I feel pretty decent for the most part. Not perfect, but worlds better than I did on injections and better than I felt pre-TRT.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me