Pain level experience during cystoscopy

Buy Lab Tests Online

Pavel

My urologist is recommending cystoscopy due to ongoing BPH issues. He will only perform this in office with local anesthesia. i am concerned about pain during the exam and would like to hear from others who have undergone cystoscopy with local anesthesia only. Thank you.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Pauly_P

I sadly do them often, right now every 3 months to look in the bladder. It's only very uncomfortable when passing through my large prostate gland. No big deal really.

chrisbenfante

I’ve had three cystoscopies in the past 5/6 years and each time the pain has been excruciating. Both urologists have told me that feeling that much pain is abnormal. I have a pretty high pain threshold but there is something about about that small scope hurts like a MF. Each time they’ve used lidocaine before inserting. My current uro suggests a procedure where steam would be injected into my urethra to shrink my prostate but he says he will only do it at a hospital under general anesthesia because my pain reaction scares patients in nearby rooms at his office lol. So … for whatever reason, and I really wish someone could tell me why, cystoscopies are very painful to me. The pain is supposedly unusual however so it’s unlikely you’ll feel more than maybe a little discomfort. Just want to offer an alternative response based on my own experience.

Jay-Jay

I've had multiple cystoscopes from different urologists. The experience has ranged from "OMG, the pain is too much!" to "Ummm, that wasn't so bad". Always, the cysto's have been with lidocaine. My personal experience has been that it very much depends on the urologist and whatever the small differences are with their technique. In the last 2 procedures, I have taken a left-over pain med 1 hour before the cystoscope and that seems to help.

Dicky

Both urologists have told me that feeling that much pain is abnormal. I have a pretty high pain threshold
I think doctors tell everyone that the pain they feel is abnormal. I also have a pretty high pain threshold but I have had far too many procedures that should be "mildly uncomfortable" end up being very painful.

broker

My Uro put me out for mine. He says the procedure scares too many men and he wouldnt want to be awake either. I obviously felt nothing.
He also puts his patients out a biopsy.
this was done at a sane day surgical center.

October 28

I have been in therapy over the trauma of the initial cystoscopy. There is a range of reactions and the medical world downplays the extreme reactions, opting for an "average" that claims a cysto is no big deal. On average they are right, but what about teh rest of us? I have had 6 cystos all under general anesthesia as outpatient in hospital since the initial traumatic one. Insist on at LEAST lidcoaine (not just lubricating) and 1.0 mg Ativan plus Tylenol one hour before, if you do it in office clinic awake. I cannot do this but perhaps others can. Or go the full route with anesthesia in hospital. The anxiety is still there for me, but it is reduced. Good luck. This disease is made worse by these primitive civil war medicine practices, done by callous MD's who've never had the procsdure themselves.

DaytonaJonah

I had one done a few weeks ago to find out where my prostate is pinching my urethra in preparation for a PAE. No lidocaine, no lubrication, no anesthesia...nothing.
I nearly blacked out from the intense pain. And right in the middle of the procedure, the equipment failed and the doc had to leave the room briefly to reconnect it. My wife was in the room with us...and was white as a ghost and said she would never allow me to go through something like that again. If I have to have another one, I will be put out first.

scokill

I just had flexible done and it was a ZERO on the pain scale. Worse getting teeth cleaned. Didn't really feel the numbing gel going in, and the camera going in felt like peeing but not peeing. I felt coldness when the water was going in bladder and it was over. I peed right after and no pain at all.

DaytonaJonah

I just had flexible done and it was a ZERO on the pain scale. Worse getting teeth cleaned. Didn't really feel the numbing gel going in, and the camera going in felt like peeing but not peeing. I felt coldness when the water was going in bladder and it was over. I peed right after and no pain at all.
Key: "...numbing gel going in".
I'm glad you had a practitioner with enough compassion to give you a "numbing gel" prior to inserting a cold metal camera up your penis. I didn't.

TLR

Mine was “uncomfortable” but tolerable…..I hated the Urodynamics test more….bad thing about the prostate is there’s no gentle way to get a good look at it without going up the behind or up the front…

Pauly_P

I go to UT Southwestern in Dallas; they know how to do the procedure. Yes, they numb you up well. I still get cysto's every 3 months and tolerate them well. I used to go to a local uro. Trust me the difference between a large medical center and your local uro is like the minor leagues to the pros.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me