Omeprazole Discontinuation

Buy Lab Tests Online

BadassBlues

I have been on Omeprazole for over 15 years and would like to discontinue using it. Some concerns regarding long term use are the reason.

I have acid reflux, diagnosed as GERD (generic diagnosis IMHO). I would like to hear from anyone who has discontinued using PPI's.

I don't want to substitute H2 blockers like Zantac due to side effects. I am seeking an alternative solution.

I suppose I could go back to antacids, but it takes a lot of them to get the job done.

Any thoughts?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

BadassBlues

Starting today, I am discontinuing usage and actively looking for alternatives. So far so good, but I'm sure it's still active in my system. I'll update this thread as things progress.

SpazTheCat

You may want to consider going to every other day for a week or two and then stopping or starting an H2 antagonist. The H2 would be temporary. Many patients that abruptly stop drugs like omeprazole experience a rebound effect with acid secretion and can be pretty miserable when that happens.

—Andy

BadassBlues

You may want to consider going to every other day for a week or two and then stopping or starting an H2 antagonist. The H2 would be temporary. Many patients that abruptly stop drugs like omeprazole experience a rebound effect with acid secretion and can be pretty miserable when that happens.

—Andy
Good advice. I'm going to try just antacids for the first few days. The "natural" remedies I have so far researched aren't something I can live with long term. Drinking Apple Cider Vinegar everyday just doesn't sound appealing.

I may get an H2 of some sort for temporary relief.

Thanks Andy

BadassBlues

Update:

Tapering by an EOD schedule. No acid reflux incidents, but definite heartburn. It helps that I am currently on Keto regimen, not eating too many acidic foods.

Tums and Alka Seltzer are working.

BadassBlues

Fascinating... I took melatonin for years, just sort of stopped using it. I will definately give this a try.

Thanks Sammmy!

JmarkH

You may want Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice. Processed to remove glycyrrhizin that helps avoid potential side effects such as elevated blood pressure.

Nearly50

I have been on Omeprazole for over 15 years and would like to discontinue using it. Some concerns regarding long term use are the reason.

I have acid reflux, diagnosed as GERD (generic diagnosis IMHO). I would like to hear from anyone who has discontinued using PPI's.

I don't want to substitute H2 blockers like Zantac due to side effects. I am seeking an alternative solution.

I suppose I could go back to antacids, but it takes a lot of them to get the job done.

Any thoughts?
BAB, I had a decade of awful GERD and switched to a low carb diet <100g/day. No GERD for about 9 yrs now. Lost 40lb in the process and easy to maintain. Lots of veggies w chick/pork/steak/fish. Dropped all my labs for the better too.

UCFguy01

BadassBlues

As mentioned above, diet plays a main role in the reflux aspect... at least for me. Coffee, wine and certain foods are a trigger. I am not going to avoid coffee and wine as... well, a guy's gotta live ;) I have adjusted my intake, and have eliminated the main food culprits (Sweets, greasy foods).

I stay mainly on a low carb diet and I do take digestive enzymes. But I still get heartburn and I have a very sensitive spot in the back of my throat from the acid reflux happening over the years. Omeprazole has alleviated most of that, but the long-term use appears to have some potentially serious side effects. I'm not getting any younger unfortunately and have to find alternative measures to deal with it.

I also believe that long term PPI use interferes with digestion.

I appreciate all of the input and suggestions. I'm trying the licorice and have started melatonin again. I have used licorice for adrenal support in the past, but never for acid reflux. Alka Seltzer and antacids work well when I have a flare up.

Marchickney

As mentioned above, diet plays a main role in the reflux aspect... at least for me. Coffee, wine and certain foods are a trigger. I am not going to avoid coffee and wine as... well, a guy's gotta live ;) I have adjusted my intake, and have eliminated the main food culprits (Sweets, greasy foods).

I stay mainly on a low carb diet and I do take digestive enzymes. But I still get heartburn and I have a very sensitive spot in the back of my throat from the acid reflux happening over the years. Omeprazole has alleviated most of that, but the long-term use appears to have some potentially serious side effects. I'm not getting any younger unfortunately and have to find alternative measures to deal with it.

I also believe that long term PPI use interferes with digestion.

I appreciate all of the input and suggestions. I'm trying the licorice and have started melatonin again. I have used licorice for adrenal support in the past, but never for acid reflux. Alka Seltzer and antacids work well when I have a flare up.
I have managed my symptons for a decade, and clean diet seems to be the key, de-caff coffee & tea, im practically tea total, drink as much filtered water as you like :).

I also switched to lacto free & filtered milk, avoid all triggers and spices. I have sensitive liver and a week on Omeprazole back in the day would screw me up digestive wise and toxicity, not a good drug.

Sooner you can get off better IMO. I stick with "Rennies" as & when (occasional) - widely available in stores in UK, not sure if global product but find something similar listed ingredients below. Bit chalky but never had any complaints from my liver.

RENNIE PEPPERMINT INGREDIENTS

Each tablet contains calcium carbonate 680mg, magnesium carbonate 80mg, sucrose and glucose 250mg amongst other ingredients – please see leaflet for more information.

Good luck mate - focus on clean diet & drink and avoid bending/gardening & you be right :)

Donnyy

I have been taking Omeprazole for 4 years. His task was to protect the stomach from the effects of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, which I also took for 4 years (not prescribed by a doctor). Luckily, I'm now pill-free. Omeprazole protected my stomach and I couldn't find any other alternatives. But I haven't taken it for as long as you have. Wish you luck

UCFguy01

I've been battling GERD for a few years now. I've tried antacids but have to take them daily. The PPI's and H2 blockers made me feel weird. I've just started taking apple cider vinegar this week and wow!! What a difference. I've literally had no indigestion for 5 days. I take a teaspoon in the morning with water or some sort of drink. And then a teaspoon at night. It's crazy how good this stuff works. I'm probably going to switch over to the ACV pills at some point to avoid having to drink it.

There are no scientific studies out there on Apple Cider vinegar, but there are so many people that it's cured. Me being one of them now.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me