Omega-3s and cognition: dosage matters!

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Omega-3s and cognition: dosage matters!
omega 3 studies.jpg
Yet another study questioning omega-3 efficacy has been picked up by the mainstream press. Why finger the nutrient when the dosage is all wrong? argues Adam Ismail, executive director of the Global Organisation for EPA and DHA Omega-3s (GOED), in this guest article.

http://www.nutraingredients.com/Research/Omega-3s-and-cognition-dosage-matters

Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

EugeneTNH

I've always recommended to patients (and personally) to aim for at a bare minimum 1000 mg total of EPA and DHA daily. Smaller doses just don't seem to cut it!

Re-Ride

I have lovaza prescribed to me. I take 4 a day and I think its like 375 MG DHA per pill...

Yes, DHA 375 mg/cap + 465 mg EPA.

" Each cap contains 1,000 mg of omega-3-acid ethyl ester liquid concentrate consisting of at least 900 mg omega-3-acid ethyl esters."

That makes Lovaza highly concentrated compared to over-the-counter fish oil. GSK claims it is highly purified to remove heavy metals and other contaminants. "Made in Norway" Usually prescribed to lower triglycerides at a dose of 3 gm/day. It has worked well for me verified by labs. It noticeably alleviates dry skin and hair for me. I take it with Ocuvites which has 90 mg of DHA.

These days I only take 1gm, sometimes 2 gm of Lovaza. Three makes me hungry and over-consume carbs. I get much of my DHA from good quality sardines or white anchovies.

Crown Prince B-S sardines in water (Morocco) claim to provide 2 gm of omega 3's along with 23 g protein , 140 cal, 5 gm fat, 6% DV calcium, 10% DV iron, 8% sodium DV per 4 0Z single serving can size. I find them mild tasting.

Trident 7 oz red blueback salmon ( wild Alaskan ) has 3.5 servings each containing 1 gm omega 3's, 13 gm protein, 110 cal, 7 gm fat, 10% DV calcium, only 2% DV iron and an unknown amount of fuku fuel rods.

The FDA reported on Sept 22 2015 "non-detect" for fuku radionuclitides on the 23 samples it has collected during the 2015 fishing season. http://dec.alaska.gov/eh/radiation/ I continue to enjoy canned firm red Alaska salmon, but have switched to the tiny fish for the most part.

I heartily recommend quality canned cold water small fish to all who wish to boost their EPA/DHA intake from a clean sustainable food source and do not have access to fresh or fresh frozen. Crown Prince clearly marks the fishery. Their brislings are from Scotland and kippers from Newfoundland. Unlimited 50 cents off coupons per item for every CP bar code mailed in.

Vettester Chris

Super Moderator
The Metabolic Maintenance product from Defy is the best I've had. I believe it's 430mg on the DHA ..

Dr. Saya made a great point about keeping it in the fridge!! Keep it right there by the HCG and you won't go wrong!!

Re-Ride

The Metabolic Maintenance product from Defy is the best I've had. I believe it's 430mg on the DHA ..

Dr. Saya made a great point about keeping it in the fridge!! Keep it right there by the HCG and you won't go wrong!!

May I ask what makes this fish oil superior to any other Chris? Defy has three products on its site.

(1) Rx 1 gm omega 3 caps - doesn't specify EPA/DHA - 60 COUNT $22

note: always read if "per serving" or "per cap" Many vits state the content in the former. One might have to take two or caps "per serving."

Why are some omega's Rx and not others?

(2) Metabolic Maintenance, no Rx required 400 EPA/300 DHA $28 for 60 count plus sh. Again, is this 2 caps /serving? "Deep cold water" tells us nothing of the fishery or species.

(3) Mega Omega, "extra strength" whatever that means $28 for 100 caps plus sh

Lovaza storage temp is 77F, excursions permitted 59-86F. Why refrigerate the Defy? Only reason I can think of is it isn't as purified, likely has small numbers of microorganisms or fungii which cause spoilage. I'm all for supporting producers other than GSK but they need to give more info.

Like processed protein I am extremely wary of processed fish oil caps. I fail to see how one can do better than a natural food source which offers vitamins, minerals, proteins and probably much more. Granted, sardines, herring, anchovies aren't for everyone but those who say they don't like them pro'ly have only had low quality mushy fishy tasting stuff. Fresh squeezed lemon, dill or pepper or even mixed in w/ mac and cheese and greens, very good. Make it a meal and save the $ for something else.

Vettester Chris

Super Moderator
Re-Ride, my post is a subjective, personal opinion, I don't claim that brand to have any "superiority" compared to rival competitor's products.

For me (and it again, subjectively), my joints (knees, hands ..) seem to be much better since starting this brand. I had this sensation several years ago with another brand, but for the life of me I couldn't remember who produced it (?). I went through several other brands over the past years, thinking maybe it's just part of the aging process on my end. I dunno, I started on Metabolic Maintenance, and I can physically feel the difference.

I believe some of the key talking points on keeping Omegas refrigerated is to reduce rancidity and provide longer shelf life. There's been some discussions on Livestrong, and on other pro-health community Sites, supporting this concept, but I don't have any empirical data to prove these talking points. For me, I know the last stuff I had seemed to smell worse the longer I kept it, and I had bouts of getting this sour stomach sensation shortly after taking them.

I don't think Dr. Saya feels this is just exclusive to Defy's products, I believe he would support keeping ALL Omegas refrigerated, regardless of brand, and even various cooking oils, etc., but I would defer you to contact him directly to confirm that, and to get further specifics on his rationale.

And LOL, I have no idea why some Omegas are Rx and others are not! If Jasen chimes in, he would probably be able to clear that up ... I'm sure Big Gov is in the picture somewhere with our Fish Oil!! :p

Re-Ride

Chris, anecdotal reports such as yours referencing joint pain are important. Vascepa is an Rx only omega containing EPA only. Joint pain is a common side effect. Perhaps the OTC products you tried had higher than expected EPA content. This is precisely my concern with OTC omega supplements. We have absolutely no idea what we are ingesting since OTC manufacturing has virtually no oversight or manufacturing standards.

Nelson's post was on DHA not "fish oil" or DHA/EPA purified compounds. Unless each and every study mentioned used the same compound all we have is an association not empirical data. The association of cognitive benefit by supplementing DHA>600 mg / day seems strong but consumers should be aware that highly purified DHA as omega-3-acid-ethyl esters or as omega-3-carboxylic acids is not the same as the DHA content claimed by OTC products.

The Rx omegas are specifically approved for lowering serum triglycerides >500 mg/dL. There is no conclusive proof that they prevent or treat heart disease. All omega supplementation is capable of causing serious blood clotting issues. Lovaza and likely supraphysiolgical dosing with OTC can cause elevated LDL "bad" cholesterol.

Rancidity: This may be an issue for many fish oils even before they make it in to the bottle. The raw material is pulverized fish scraps. Has your scaly friend been fresh squeezed? Assuming that it has there are still valid concerns that multi-bonded EFA's are quite fragile in vivo. Some researchers claim they scavenge oxygen from other parts of the body and/or promote diabetes. Anecdotally I have experienced both excessive bleeding and what seems to be hypoglycemia on 3 g Lovaza.

Members here tend to reject the overabundance of caution employed by the medical profession simply because many of us have suffered from refusal to prescribe TRT or hCG where not doing do resulted in unnecessary quality of life issues.

If and what to supplement when it comes to fish oil or omega isolates is a highly personal decision.

I am not promoting Peskin's POV, who appears to have no medical research credentials, but this makes an interesting listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuf5nFTtwEY

Vince

Super Moderator
Re-Ride, for most I believe fish oil is very beneficial. I do know some APO-E 3/4 that must cut back on fish oil. I use Carlson liquid fish oil.

Re-Ride

Vince, Thanks for sharing your preferred product.

Questions for all to ask:

Is there any proof or is it even reasonable to assume that humans evolved to require fish oil as an essential nutrient? Are there populations that live long healthy lives without eating fish? IF there is any benefit to supplementing with fish oil or EPA/DHA what is the ideal ratio? Is this ratio the same for all persons regardless of ethnicity, age, genome? Does this "ideal ratio" change throughout a person's life?

Might we thrive just as well or better by eliminating certain processed foods especially, commercial oils, and by replacing them with healthy plant sourced oils and/or grass fed organic chicken, eggs, dairy?

Carlson notes that its products are an alternative for those who do not eat enough oily fish. It adds Vit E to "fight rancidity both in the product and in the body'. That seems to support Peskin's contention that the fragile chemical bonds in fish oil derived EFA's make them undesirable if not unhealthy for consumption.

We are advised to be wary of the 1.4 billion dollar fish oil industry. "Manufactured in Norway" does not mean the fish waste that the oil is extracted from was harvested in Norwegian waters. Perhaps Jamba Juice will begin offering fresh squeezed. I've tried this at home and let me tell you it is not something you want to mess with :)

Personally I will cautiously continue to supplement with small amounts of Rx grade isolate along with healthy food intake and hope that I am promoting rather than antagonizing my health.

GEORGE TOULIATOS

As omega 3 fish oils (DHA-EPA) are anti-inflammatory compounds,via PG's inhibition,they act against coagulation.
The point is that in case they are consumed at quantities over 6gr on a daily basis,they could cause an impared coagulatory mechanism.As a result of it,bleeding time would be prolonged.Apart from that,they could sabotage muscle inflammation and growth,as a result of it (similar case with salicilic acid use & NSAID's).

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me