Older guy with an unexpected problem

Buy Lab Tests Online

North120

Hello. I'm an older guy pushing 70 fast. The last thing I thought I would be doing at this age is TRT. But life has a way of surprising us while we are making our plans.

Earlier this year I decided it was time to replace my arthritic knee. For decades I have been bone on bone in that knee and the time had come where it was just to painful. My orthopedic surgeon looked at my X-rays and told me I might have 'thin' bones. We did a DEXA scan, and I found out I have osteoperosis. What! This got my PCP curious and he ordered a T check. Low and behold, my T was only half the minimum. My free T was 1/3 the minimum. Now I know I am an old guy and don't have the T levels of many younger men. But, even adjusting for age, I was far to low.

My PCP put me on on a plan to inject myself once a week. I asked him for patches or gels but he cautioned me against them due to their high price, inconvenience around my lady friends (AHEM!), and the difficulty of knowing how much of the actual dose is getting into my body.

So here I am one month into the process. Are there any other 60+ guys at this site? Our issues are often a bit different from the the young Bucks. :)

FWIW, the knee replacement went well. 4 months after the surgery I can easily hike 4-5 miles with only the most mild of soreness afterwards. Considering that the day before the surgery a one mile walk in my neighborhood was a source of crippling pain, I am quite happy. The knee took it all in stride with only minimal discomfort. But, I need strong bones to continue.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
I'm 65 and started trt at age 60. I actually think older men do better than younger man on trt. At least on this site it seems that way. The only issue I really had was, having to donate blood regularly for the first two years. After two years of trt my HCT stabilized and I no longer have to donate blood.

This may help your osteoporosis.

Boron for bone density

I, too, am 65. On TRT since age 62. I agree with Vince that TRT is easier for an older guy. Take just testosterone, no AI or HCG is needed. Hematocrit initially rises, but will stabilize and giving blood may not be needed. Through some resistance work in the form of weights, bands, body weight stuff, just do something. Everything works better from brain to sex life. Closest thing to the fountain of youth there is, but you need to put the work in and proceed cautiously with a good doctor’s guidance.

North120

I'm glad to hear that. I get a bit concerned when I see those photos of some guy in his 30's with muscles bigger than my chest size (No, I am not fat). It reminds me of the yoga ads that show a young petite gal in her early 20's twisting herself into a pretzel. Umm.... how about some realistic photos of people like me who have improved their physical well being rather than these gods and goddesses? That's what will motivate me.

I eat a lot of foods that are rich in boron such as nuts, beans and avocados. Same with calcium.

Last edited:

DragonBits

I'm glad to hear that. I get a bit concerned when I see those photos of some guy in his 30's with muscles bigger than my chest size (No, I am not fat). It reminds me of the yoga ads that show a young petite gal in her early 20's twisting herself into a pretzel. Umm.... how about some realistic photos of people like me who have improved their physical well being rather than these gods and goddesses? That's what will motivate me.

I eat a lot of foods that are rich in boron such as nuts, beans and avocados. Same with calcium.

Here is a photo of me in 2006 before TRT, and (my avatar) is a pic of me I took for a dating site (on the bike) after TRT when I was ~59, I started TRT when I was 57.

I am a bit leaner more muscular now than the pic on the bike.

I have always worked out but and now I am 67, my body composition improved hugely on TRT.

Pic in 2006 age 54 before TRT

(Link Removed)

Pic in 2011 age 59 after 2 years of TRT. Now I am 67 and a bit leaner than in this pic. I will likely do another pic next year and was thinking it would be interesting to create a pictorial journey on body changes on TRT.

(Link Removed)

Attachments

• john.jpg
    john.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 234
  • jOHN 2006.jpg
    jOHN 2006.jpg
    600.7 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:

North120

Here is a photo of me in 2006 before TRT, and (my avatar) is a pic of me I took for a dating site (on the bike) after TRT when I was ~59, I started TRT when I was 57.

I am a bit leaner more muscular now than the pic on the bike.

I have always worked out but and now I am 67, my body composition improved hugely on TRT.

Pic in 2006 age 54 before TRT

View attachment 8551

Pic in 2011 age 59 after 2 years of TRT. Now I am 67 and a bit leaner than in this pic. I will likely do another pic next year and was thinking it would be interesting to create a pictorial journey on body changes on TRT.

View attachment 8550
So, how do you beat the ladies away when you need some alone time? :)

Riz747

Hello. I'm an older guy pushing 70 fast. The last thing I thought I would be doing at this age is TRT. But life has a way of surprising us while we are making our plans.

Earlier this year I decided it was time to replace my arthritic knee. For decades I have been bone on bone in that knee and the time had come where it was just to painful. My orthopedic surgeon looked at my X-rays and told me I might have 'thin' bones. We did a DEXA scan, and I found out I have osteoperosis. What! This got my PCP curious and he ordered a T check. Low and behold, my T was only half the minimum. My free T was 1/3 the minimum. Now I know I am an old guy and don't have the T levels of many younger men. But, even adjusting for age, I was far to low.

My PCP put me on on a plan to inject myself once a week. I asked him for patches or gels but he cautioned me against them due to their high price, inconvenience around my lady friends (AHEM!), and the difficulty of knowing how much of the actual dose is getting into my body.

So here I am one month into the process. Are there any other 60+ guys at this site? Our issues are often a bit different from the the young Bucks. :)

FWIW, the knee replacement went well. 4 months after the surgery I can easily hike 4-5 miles with only the most mild of soreness afterwards. Considering that the day before the surgery a one mile walk in my neighborhood was a source of crippling pain, I am quite happy. The knee took it all in stride with only minimal discomfort. But, I need strong bones to continue.

Here is a dirty little secret... I think that we all know that injecting your T can cause spikes and lulls. The topicals are the right way to go BUT the cost IS prohibitive. Unless you get a custom compound. They are better than the commercial applications, you use a whole lot less, You can wash them off after about 4 hours because you have absorbed about as much as you are going to... AND, a 30 day supply cost me, cash out of pocket, $65.00. Yep... just $65.00. I was paying a $200 copay/month on my Androgel ten years ago. Now, I do have to say that the dosing IS not precise. The absorption rates can vary lot from lot as well. I've been using this for about 9 years now and have it dialed in. Most Dr's no longer know how to write a custom compound Rx. They used to but now... I don't even think it is taught in medical school anymore (I work for a major Pharma company specializing in Dermatology Rx products and all of the Bay Area Dermatologists for the last 23 years... even these guys struggle with a compounding formula). MD Pharmacy in Tennessee does my work for me. You might discuss your problem with the compounding department and see if they can't talk to you Doc and work out a formula for you. I hope that is helpful.

mooseman109

Welcome. There is a ton of info here that is spot on. Bro science gets kicked out pretty quickly.
What I would add to good advice already given is it is a journey. We all respond differently to these meds, all meds really. SO I go slow and do not get in a hurry. I believe you will find a lot of things will function better on TRT

slicktop

Here is a dirty little secret... I think that we all know that injecting your T can cause spikes and lulls. The topicals are the right way to go BUT the cost IS prohibitive. Unless you get a custom compound. They are better than the commercial applications, you use a whole lot less, You can wash them off after about 4 hours because you have absorbed about as much as you are going to... AND, a 30 day supply cost me, cash out of pocket, $65.00. Yep... just $65.00.

So first, there's no such thing as TRT that doesn't cause spikes and lulls, with MAYBE the exception being pellets. Spikes and lulls aren't necessarily anything to be afraid of- they occur naturally anyways. And regular old injectable testosterone can be had for as low as $22 a month with a goodrx coupon. I'm glad you've found a regimen that works for you, but can we please avoid speaking in absolutes?

DragonBits

So first, there's no such thing as TRT that doesn't cause spikes and lulls, with MAYBE the exception being pellets. Spikes and lulls aren't necessarily anything to be afraid of- they occur naturally anyways. And regular old injectable testosterone can be had for as low as $22 a month with a goodrx coupon. I'm glad you've found a regimen that works for you, but can we please avoid speaking in absolutes?

Testosterone levels always vary, the real question is how big a spike and lull and how often.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Just make sure your estradiol is never low. That is the main factor involved in bone density. Eat calcium-rich foods, get sun for 20 min per day and do resistance exercise to make sure your bone density improves (which is a very slow process!).

I am 61 and took a drug for 20 years that depletes bone density. My DEXA is great, though.

DEXA scan to detect osteopenia

DragonBits

Just make sure your estradiol is never low. That is the main factor involved in bone density. Eat calcium-rich foods, get sun for 20 min per day and do resistance exercise to make sure your bone density improves (which is a very slow process!).

I am 61 and took a drug for 20 years that depletes bone density. My DEXA is great, though.

DEXA scan to detect osteopenia

I am confused between peak bone mass and what you stated.

I understood that peak bone mass happens in your 30s, and the rest of of your life you try and maintain your bone density but can't add to it.

Can you actually increase bone mass after age 40?

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
I am confused between peak bone mass and what you stated.

I understood that peak bone mass happens in your 30s, and the rest of of your life you try and maintain your bone density but can't add to it.

Can you actually increase bone mass after age 40?
Certainly yes!

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching