No Gym: Quarantine check in and learnings.

Buy Lab Tests Online

DragonBits

I really miss the gym most of all.

Normally, I shave and shower after a workout, I seldom shower at home, so now people note I have a beard, and it's a very gray beard and gets ichy after a while.

I have been doing cardio, riding a bike or walk/run 3-5 miles, there is a park with a 9 mile circuit and it's only 1.5 mile from where I live. (About the same distance to the gym.)

I have several sets of dumbbells up to 30 lbs each, but I haven't been using them. I don't have a lot of extra room so I can't set up a permanent location in the house, but I could make do with the dumbbells, not as convenient as the gym, but doable.

A lot of yard work to do, house work like dead lifting toilets, cutting down shrubs / trees, replacing a patio, not like a real workout but it needs to be done and it is work.

I will go back to the gym, but I am reluctant to use the locker room / shower/ sauna, pool assuming when they open the gym they still allow people to use them.

I was never that concerned about sanitizing the equipment in the gym, I can wash my hands at the gym, as long as you don't touch your face you should be OK from touching surfaces.

I am guessing nearly 20-50% of people in the USA will eventually get infected before they come up with a vaccine. Hopefully, once infected you will get immunity that last at least a year, but no one really knows for sure.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

slicktop

Just posted this in another thread, but yesterday was my first day back on the iron in two months. I was pleasantly surprised to find very little losses. I was actually back sliding a little bit pre-covid due to over training, for example my bench was no longer progressing past 235 and I was moving down to 230 and 225 from time to time. I went in yesterday and just went straight to 225, thinking I'd be lucky to handle that, and proceeded to knock out three sets without a problem, actually felt pretty darn good. We'll see how the rest of the week goes, but I'm cautiously optimistic.
So.... I was wrong. I'm pretty sure I'm going to kill myself before covid ever gets a chance to try. I'm more sore this morning than I can remember ever being. Muscles hurt that I didn't even know I had. My wife actually initiated sex last night (not a common event) and I caught myself thinking about whether it was worth it or not. Mid-coitus last night she says "I'm getting close, grab my tits!" and I actually responded "grab your own tits, I'm just trying not to die!" LOL... I survived, but there will be lots of CBD and naproxen going down the hatch today. Maybe there's something to that advice to start back slowly... hmmm...

TestOneTwo

As much as I miss the gym, it's a pivotal element of my life, I think rushing back THAT quickly only because some government figure says it's OK is beyond foolish but each to their own. Being free to do so (which is right) doesn't mean one HAS to do so.

slicktop

As much as I miss the gym, it's a pivotal element of my life, I think rushing back THAT quickly only because some government figure says it's OK is beyond foolish but each to their own. Being free to do so (which is right) doesn't mean one HAS to do so.
So, first, it's not "only because some government figure says it's OK". Exercise contributes to your overall health and boosts your immune system significantly, which I would think is a good thing at any time, but especially in a pandemic. Second, how often do you see people violate the recommended 6' social distancing in a gym? I don't know where you work out, but it's never once been a problem for me. Third, if you've been anywhere- a grocery store, a hardware store, Walmart, etc. in the last two months, you've taken the same risk as anyone going to a gym. So maybe get off the high horse with calling people foolish?

Deno

For those persons waiting for a unicorn vaccine for a virus that has a lot of mutations... lol more gym space for me.

It has sucked with the gyms closed. Right now they are open but 'no showers'. Like, wtf? So you want everyone who works out to stink? Weird.

Renman23

For those persons waiting for a unicorn vaccine for a virus that has a lot of mutations... lol more gym space for me.

It has sucked with the gyms closed. Right now they are open but 'no showers'. Like, wtf? So you want everyone who works out to stink? Weird.
You can HAVE my space, with pleasure, If you suffer no ill effects... L'chaim!
If not.... you'll get my Darwin Nom...

TestOneTwo

So, first, it's not "only because some government figure says it's OK". Exercise contributes to your overall health and boosts your immune system significantly, which I would think is a good thing at any time, but especially in a pandemic. Second, how often do you see people violate the recommended 6' social distancing in a gym? I don't know where you work out, but it's never once been a problem for me. Third, if you've been anywhere- a grocery store, a hardware store, Walmart, etc. in the last two months, you've taken the same risk as anyone going to a gym. So maybe get off the high horse with calling people foolish?
I can call it rash decision if it helps? My gym here near a big city is usually packed. Saying that a grocery store poses the same risks as working out in a gym...I'm not even commenting on that. As I said, each to their own. If you are fine with it as well as your wife and maybe any children, why not? But why is my horse high? I don't have a home gym and have the same problem as everybody else who likes to work out. I am able to work with what I got though to at least maintain...I hope. Also, you may want to switch to decaf.

Last edited:

TestOneTwo

I have friends in healthcare in NYC and after talking to them... Aint NO WAY in HELL im going back to a Gym until there is a Vaccine! That being said, since nobody had any kettlebells or free weights in stock, I went Old school. Bought a few canvas Duffle bags and 200 lbs of Playground Sand... a few Garden Trash bags and duct tape and Voila... im sweating my balls off doing Sandbag routines... I also have a Peloton on order...
Couldn't agree more. I don't actually believe there will ever be an effective vaccine. For instance, the flu vaccines we recreate every year is not what I would call successful. If it was, the flu as we know it would be history by now as people wouldn't catch it anymore. I think the future of commercial gyms might be doomed. In the very best scenario gyms might just close again during the upcoming wave in fall and reopen after that but they won't be able to survive under such conditions and I can't have these interruption all the time. I'm considering ditching my two memberships and reestablish my home gym I had sold a couple of years ago due to space reason...oh it sucks..

Sly

CDC update
The virus does not spread easily in other ways
COVID-19 is a new disease and we are still learning about how it spreads. It may be possible for COVID-19 to spread in other ways, but these are not thought to be the main ways the virus spreads.

• From touching surfaces or objects. It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes. This is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads, but we are still learning more about this virus.

DragonBits

Couldn't agree more. I don't actually believe there will ever be an effective vaccine. For instance, the flu vaccines we recreate every year is not what I would call successful. If it was, the flu as we know it would be history by now as people wouldn't catch it anymore. I think the future of commercial gyms might be doomed. In the very best scenario gyms might just close again during the upcoming wave in fall and reopen after that but they won't be able to survive under such conditions and I can't have these interruption all the time. I'm considering ditching my two memberships and reestablish my home gym I had sold a couple of years ago due to space reason...oh it sucks..

About the flu vaccine, there are actually 131 different viruses that are Influenza A. then there is Influenza B. It's really quite complicated.

Plus, the flu shot only gives you immunity for at most 6 months, immunity fades away.

Plus, only 45% of adults get a flu shot, so there are a lot of hosts for the virus to infect which creates a reservoir of virus.

coronavirus is a whole different virus with different rules.

TestOneTwo

coronavirus is a whole different virus with different rules.
And chances are these rules aren’t necessarily simpler once we have figured at least some of them out, meaning even if we achieve a scenario with similar efficacy as we currently have with the flu vaccine we are still going to be screwed considering how much more contagious coronavirus is. In any event, I wouldn’t hold my breath for an effective vaccine with an acceptable risk/benefit balance, let alone wait for it before I make any major decisions. Things will be different. I’m convinced several industries will go extinct and commercial gyms as we know them might not make it through this either. I’m expecting my local gym to file for insolvency by the end of the year if not even in the next 3 months. Empty gyms may be a great thing to the iron enthusiast but it’s really a kiss of death to a business and effectively the end of ones access to it.

Renman23

For right now, its a question of Risk tolerance vs Risk Aversion...
For me , when it comes to Finances, I'm fairly risk tolerant, having lost a TON of value in my stocks, Im still buying as the prices decline... still looking for property to acquire... Its a bonanza!

When it comes to my health? Im definitely averse! This thing is killing young and old. Might I survive contact with it? Its possible I already have! but for me... I'm not gonna chance sharing equipment with LITERALLY thousands of people I DONT KNOW...

Your tolerance may vary.

slicktop

But why is my horse high?
"I think rushing back THAT quickly only because some government figure says it's OK is beyond foolish".

Because of that statement right there. We've got the CDC now saying the virus probably doesn't spread via surfaces anyways, so again, the risk is likely no different in going to the gym than it is in going to the grocery store. If people simply maintain social distancing as we've been advised all along, it shouldn't matter whether we go.

DragonBits

"I think rushing back THAT quickly only because some government figure says it's OK is beyond foolish".

Because of that statement right there. We've got the CDC now saying the virus probably doesn't spread via surfaces anyways, so again, the risk is likely no different in going to the gym than it is in going to the grocery store. If people simply maintain social distancing as we've been advised all along, it shouldn't matter whether we go.

Amusing that some say the government is ignoring risk to jazz the economy, while others are saying the gov is over reacting and now we need to get back to normal. But that's normal life.

To me, it's obvious the gym is higher risk than grocery stores.

1) When we work out, we exert ourselves as much as possible, causing more forceful breathing thus expelling more virus. Especially true of cardio. There are even examples of this in choir groups where a very high percentage of members got infected.

2) More important, when I go to the store I spend 10-40 minutes, when I go to the gym, typically I spend 60-120 minutes. Longer time = more exposure. And many go to the gym more often than a grocery store.

And I don't like wearing a mask, not going to do it with cardio which I can do outside in any case, and I will likely only wear a mask weightlifting if it is required.

I will go back to the gym, while I think it's higher risk, I don't think it's extremely igher and I am OK with that. I will likely avoid the locker room / hot sauna.

Lucky it's spring/summer time, in the past I typically go to the gym less often and spend more time working / time exercising outside (walks, biking, hiking, etc), so the weather works in my favor in regards to this.

I wonder if they will do a temp check at the door?

TestOneTwo

I think it's a matter of common sense. As adults we should make decisions based on what WE believe is right based on everything we know and what we have experienced, not because what an authority tells us to do - particularly if the authorities have no actual clue yet and have mixed opinions themselves. Case in point TRT. How many of us had been told by our regular doctor that our T levels are fine or they put us on a terrible protocol? How many of us then took matters in our own hands and sought help elsewhere, even paying out of pocket because we were that sure that our doctor was wrong, even though we are no medical experts, I might add. We took control of our own lives. Still, common sense decisions shouldn't always be in favor of the feel good or fun stuff. Sometimes the right decision is the least pleasant one but many people struggle with the concept of delayed gratification even in their adulthood.

The Corona situation is uncharted territory and we are really on our own. If you think it's a clever idea to go back the gym as soon as possible then it really is in your world. See, in mine it's a jaw droppingly bad decision which I can't even comprehend. In the end, who knows who's right? This would be one of the few examples where I'd prefer not to be right. Thankfully, there's still a little bit of freedom left in this country and people can do whatever they want. Just to underline this again though, every day of an empty gym = one day closer to their insolvency. While packed gyms are more dangerous, empty gyms are actually really bad news for your gym career too, with or without virus. Kinda catch 22.

Last edited:

TestOneTwo

I wonder if they will do a temp check at the door?
Yes. Also, my local gym will likely be running on an appointment system, time limitations per guest, fewer guests at a time etc. Meaning, price increases guaranteed but for me such limitations would be pretty much unworkable anyway.

gaz7718

So true. I have trained in a gym for over 30 years not missing more than 1 week and I’ve coped with home training with 3 sets of kettlebells And a set of paralettes. Kit is expensive to buy now even if you can find a stockist so using my brain and devising training routines that make the best of what I have.
I’m not going straight back to gyms when they open and I’m choosing wisely. Gyms that have low membership, avoiding peak times, have good cleanliness and responsible owners will be the one I join. There is still too much of a gung ho mentality amongst some lifters (it seems younger generation more so) and whilst I’m not overly concerned with catching it, I’ve got a pregnant wife and two parents in serious Ill health And I don’t want them disappearing any quicker than the short time they have left.

DragonBits

Yes. Also, my local gym will likely be running on an appointment system, time limitations per guest, fewer guests at a time etc. Meaning, price increases guaranteed but for me such limitations would be pretty much unworkable anyway.

Fortunately I have a lifetime membership with a fixed rate of $50 per year. I got this in 1976.

Even when the last two clubs declared bankruptcy, the club and membership lists were purchased by other national chains and I was grandfather into the new club.

DragonBits

I strongly believe there will be an effective vaccine, covid so far has not mutated a lot which is also a plus. I can't hold my breath for much longer than 3 minutes, I am thinking at best a vaccine is late this year early next year, but how many doses will be available?

However, how long immunity lasts from an effective vaccine (or reinfection) is an important open question.

We may get a "second wave" in the summer, it seems a reasonable possibility with reopening. Hopefully any second wave won't be as bad as the first wave.

I ditched my wife's membership in March a few days before the gym closed, I was paying $30 a month and she was going less than once a month, my membership is $50 year and I will never cancel it.

You realize if you are "right" about not being able to create a vaccine, it also means those that have been infected and got over it can and will get re-infected. If so, this will be with us forever.

But it's another reason to be in the best health we can be in to avoid dying from complications of covid.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me