No Gym: Quarantine check in and learnings.

Seth

I really miss going to the gym. Prior to the lockdown, I was going everyday. My routine was, one day cardio and the next day mainly weights after a short cardio warm up. These were followed up with a shower and sauna relax time. Some of the gyms are back open, but I can't handle a treadmill workout while wearing a mask. Feel like I'm suffocating, so I given up on gym until the rules are relaxed. Also, the pool, sauna, jazuzzi and showers are still closed, so that's something else I miss. There was a regular group of us guys who were regulars. We'd work out together, then chill in the sauna and talk afterwards. I'm doing the best I can do while at home, but it's not the same. I wonder if all these precautions are really warranted. Seems to me that pools with chlorine and hot sauna's would be inhospitable to the virus.

gaz7718

Totally understand your thoughts here. Most of UK gyms require specific time slots to be booked and my closest one even limits you to one zone if the gym. Luckily we don’t have to wear masks and I managed to find a gym 25 mins drive away without the need to pre book and with loads of great kit. So I’m happy.

JohnTaylorHK

I really miss going to the gym. Prior to the lockdown, I was going everyday. My routine was, one day cardio and the next day mainly weights after a short cardio warm up. These were followed up with a shower and sauna relax time. Some of the gyms are back open, but I can't handle a treadmill workout while wearing a mask. Feel like I'm suffocating, so I given up on gym until the rules are relaxed. Also, the pool, sauna, jazuzzi and showers are still closed, so that's something else I miss. There was a regular group of us guys who were regulars. We'd work out together, then chill in the sauna and talk afterwards. I'm doing the best I can do while at home, but it's not the same. I wonder if all these precautions are really warranted. Seems to me that pools with chlorine and hot sauna's would be inhospitable to the virus.
Surfaces are not the major transmission vector, breathing exhaled air from other people is. WRT saunas, the extra moisture in the air may increase transmissibility.

I agree about the masks, I jog every day about 3.5 miles, and the co2 buildup really bugged me at first, not at all the same as high-altitude training, one reason why those restrictive masks which are supposed to increase your vo2max don't work. It does improve after a month or so.

I suggest buying a jump rope and researching Tabata workouts. I'm also building a punching station using old tyres. Together with the jogging and isometrics, I don't need the gym. Namaste.

@Cips1975 it’s times like these that test is the most and expose our agility. Can we adapt? It’s best to assume the gym will never open again and make changes now to align with the new reality. If the gyms reopen, then that’s a bonus, but at least now you’ve adapted to life without the gym.

I’ll admit, at the start I did not workout and my diet was horrible and I sunk into some deep depression which made getting the motivation to workout nearly impossible. After 3 months of blah, I finally decided enough is enough. I started working out again and now I’m hitting it harder than ever before 5 days a week. I’m super pumped, working out gives me so much joy, and that’s helping me with the depression. I’m kicking myself for the 3 months I lost doing nothing.

I recommend jumping jacks and doin any cardio as HIIT workouts to maximize burn. I don’t do any cardio nonstop, I do jumping jacks and other exercises in between weights.

I bought a full set of dumbbells, squat rack, bench press, barbells and sauna. My basement is now better than any gym. Also, one key must have for a home gym is mirrors. That’s what makes you feel like you’re at the gym. Get some really big mirrors, full size to hit every angle so you can watch your form while you workout.

TorontoTRT

Pre book via app. Wear a mask walking in. But no mask while working out. The booking system is being eliminated at most locations soon.

DragonBits

Here in Illinois, a suburb of chicago, LA Fitness has been open since June 26th. I went a couple of times in June, but haven't gone to the gym in 5 weeks.

There has never been an appt to book, just walk in as usual.

Just a lot of yard work to do, also had to call 911 to take my mother to hospital, that blew through 3 weeks. Turned out it was critically low sodium, 118, range 134-145. She is 93, and looked pretty bad that night, but a week later was perfectly normal once they had gotten her sodium up.

In June the gym reopened but closed down the showers, pool, sauna, jacuzzi and basketball court. Needed a mask to enter, once inside you don't need to wear it and only maybe 10% wore masks inside, all the staff did.

Yesterday, everything was the same as 5 weeks ago, BUT they opened the pool and every other shower. The, sauna, jacuzzi and basketball court are still closed.

At 4PM the gym was busy but not as busy as it would have been a year ago, maybe about 50% full. It did seem I was the oldest one there, most everyone was 20-48 year old, this seemed like a change.

It felt good to be back, but as expected, today I am pretty sore.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors