Night Shift Has Decreased my Testosterone

Buy Lab Tests Online

fesh0401

Hello everyone, I'm a 33 year old Male who has been working night shift as an RN for about 12 years now. My sleep schedule would usually be going to sleep at around noon and waking up at 8-10 pm. I've notice it starting to catch up with me over the last few years with noticeable mental and physical health declines so I began working on areas of my life that could be contributing. My diet is clean and has been for years, my workout regime is 5-6 days a week, I filter my water, drink alcohol maybe 2 times a year among other things and they just weren't helping much so that prompted me to starting getting my blood work done including hormones.

Over the last 6 months my average total testosterone was roughly 280 ng/dL , my free test was 3.3 pg/mL (reference interval: 8.7 - 25.1), my DHEA was 87.2 ug/dL (RR: 138 - 475) and my LH and FSH were on the higher side of normal.

I know sleep is a huge factor in hormone optimization so I immediately switched shifts and am now on day 3 of a more normal sleep schedule. I am prepared to begin TRT but want to see if I can raise my hormones with fixing my sleep first. My question is, how long do you think it will take (if ever) for my hormones to being to rise and when should I start to consider TRT?

Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Blackhawk

I would not expect great changes in hormones after 12 years of potential suppression.

Also, your lower hormone levels are probably not solely due to the sleep issue. There are so many things in our environment that contribute. Time will tell.

I hope you can remain on day shift and establish a normal circadian rhythm!

Vince

Super Moderator
I think if your testosterone levels are going to recover from sleep deprivation, it would take at least six months. Before you should consider trt I would try clomid, it may be a lot easier then injecting weekly or twice a week or even daily.

Systemlord

I believe your problem may also be very high SHBG, it's the only thing that could explain your rock bottom Free T at only 280 ng/dL. When I had a Total T at 225, my Free T was 7.7, a lower Total T and yet Free T was double your level.

Primary hypogonadism is associated with low levels of testosterone and high-normal to high levels of LH and FSH, in this case clomid will not work.

I hope you already have a good doctor, because they are difficult to come by.

Last edited:

fesh0401

I believe your problem may also be very high SHBG, it's the only thing that could explain your rock bottom Free T at only 280 ng/dL. When I had a Total T at 225, my Free T was 7.7, a lower Total T and yet Free T was double your level.

Primary hypogonadism is associated with low levels of testosterone and high-normal to high levels of LH and FSH, in this case clomid will not work.

I hope you already have a good doctor, because they are difficult to come by.

Thanks for the reply and I had suspect SHBG as well just haven't gotten the test yet which I will do. I'm going to try Nettle Root see if that makes a difference. It would make sense because my fasting glucose has been borderline pre-diabetic so there's clearly some insulin resistance going on. Unfortunately I've been educating myself on all this and because good doctors are hard to come by.

Systemlord

Thanks for the reply and I had suspect SHBG as well just haven't gotten the test yet which I will do. I'm going to try Nettle Root see if that makes a difference. It would make sense because my fasting glucose has been borderline pre-diabetic so there's clearly some insulin resistance going on. Unfortunately I've been educating myself on all this and because good doctors are hard to come by.

Insulin resistance is common in men with low testosterone which is usually seen in men over 30 years old, mostly in men in their 40's. As far as Nettle Root lowering SHBG, you're better off going with jack's magic beans. SHBG is next to impossible to manipulate, you might see a transient reductions but it's short lived as the body adapts.

The only sure thing that has a good chance at lowering SHBG is excess androgens, moderate to large doses of testosterone. In fact many doctors believe TRT and metformin should be prescribed to those with diabetes.

It will be difficult under insurance to locate doctor who is up to speed on everything TRT related, mainstream medicine has ignored TRT for a while now, most doctors that are experienced in TRT are all private in anti-aging and wellness, preventative medicine, not managed healthcare.

Onset of effects of testosterone treatment and time span until maximum effects are achieved
Insulin sensitivity may improve within few days, but effects on glycemic control become evident only after 3–12 months.

Last edited:

fesh0401

Insulin resistance is common in men with low testosterone which is usually seen in men over 30 years old, mostly in men in their 40's. As far as Nettle Root lowering SHBG, you're better off going with jack's magic beans. SHBG is next to impossible to manipulate, you might see a transient reductions but it's short lived as the body adapts.

The only sure thing that has a good chance at lowering SHBG is excess androgens, moderate to large doses of testosterone. In fact many doctors believe TRT and metformin should be prescribed to those with diabetes.

It will be difficult under insurance to locate doctor who is up to speed on everything TRT related, mainstream medicine has ignored TRT for a while now, most doctors that are experienced in TRT are all private in anti-aging and wellness, preventative medicine, not managed healthcare.

Onset of effects of testosterone treatment and time span until maximum effects are achieved

Thank you for the information very helpful! I wonder is the low testosterone contributing to the insulin resistance or the other way around?

Gman86

Thank you for the information very helpful! I wonder is the low testosterone contributing to the insulin resistance or the other way around?

Low testosterone 100% contributes to insulin resistance. Having optimal testosterone levels is pretty much the number one way to increase sensitivity. Probably that and exercise are #1 + #2.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me