New to TRT question about drinking

Buy Lab Tests Online

Luke717

I generally try not to drink that much. A few glasses of wine or beer per week and then once a week or so I enjoy having 6-10 drinks with the boys if we are out having a good time. Is this ok to do on TRT? I have read a lot about how is ups your E2.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

xqfq

I’m not sure about the hormone effect, but I’ve found myself less in..need (?) of alcohol since starting HRT. A lot of my prior drinking was probably due to anxiety which has since passed.

Note that 6-10 drinks in one night is by definition binge drinking and I doubt it’s healthy. I’m sure you know that though.

BigBamBoo

Alcohol has a negative effect on the liver. The liver effect SHBG. So drinking could effect your T levels, etc.

I don’t drink, so I do not understand the need or desire to drink...no judgement to those who do. I have witnessed folks who drink heavily and see the results it has on them.

It seems if someone is seeking to improve their health via TRT, then cutting out the things that can negatively effect it would be a smart move.

Luke717

I’m not sure about the hormone effect, but I’ve found myself less in..need (?) of alcohol since starting HRT. A lot of my prior drinking was probably due to anxiety which has since passed.

Note that 6-10 drinks in one night is by definition binge drinking and I doubt it’s healthy. I’m sure you know that though.
I use to drink a lot, and it was due to anxiety and generally feeling terrible. I knocked all that off a bout a year ago, and now on TRT (only a week and a half in) I am feeling better which makes me not want to drink even more. I hope the positive benefits of TRT continue to get better for me. Like I said I am only a week and a half in.

Charliebizz

I feel better the day after I drink as long as it’s not too much. I’m usually warmer and my libido goes way up. I’m not on trt as I get too many side effects

Paul M

I think the social aspect of drinking with friends is very beneficial to enjoying the one shot of life on this planet you have. As said, everything in moderation of course.

SilverSurfer

But all that info is about alcohol's effect on natural production of testosterone.

What effect does alcohol have on testosterone that is injected?

It‘s most likely your total testosterone won’t be affected much, but alcohol messes up your aromatization with excess E2, lowered DHT conversion, and other less than desirable downstream hormonal shifts. Not to mention your weight will be adversely affected, thereby making things worse.

cigpk

I would think there’s also an interaction between alcohol and SHBG, potentially an increase in SHBG leading to lower FT as well. Just a guess.

DragonBits

It‘s most likely your total testosterone won’t be affected much, but alcohol messes up your aromatization with excess E2, lowered DHT conversion, and other less than desirable downstream hormonal shifts. Not to mention your weight will be adversely affected, thereby making things worse.

I supplement with alcohol which works to increase HDL, I haven't noticed any increase in E2.

Weight would depend on how much you drink, for me, only ~10 oz of wine a night or on Sat 2 beers.

If I Had 6-10 drinks I would get a hangover, which I really hate, so I never drink that much, at least not in the last 25 years.

Luke717

I supplement with alcohol which works to increase HDL, I haven't noticed any increase in E2.

Weight would depend on how much you drink, for me, only ~10 oz of wine a night or on Sat 2 beers.

If I Had 6-10 drinks I would get a hangover, which I really hate, so I never drink that much, at least not in the last 25 years.
So by supplement with alcohol do you mean that you get benefits out of having a little bit, like you do? I will have to research the reason you would want higher HDL? I do tend to feel a little better the next day if I have a glass of red wine the night before. Thanks for your reply! It was helpful

DragonBits

So by supplement with alcohol do you mean that you get benefits out of having a little bit, like you do? I will have to research the reason you would want higher HDL? I do tend to feel a little better the next day if I have a glass of red wine the night before. Thanks for your reply! It was helpful

Nothing I had did in the past seemed to have much of an effect (positive or negative) on HDL. My HDL has been 31-46 since 1992.

I consume at least a tablespoon of cocoa powder a day, it seems to have little effect. I put a teaspoon in my coffee and now like the flavor.

Once I started the wine, my HDL rose over 40%, this is more than expected from wine alone. I usually have ~ 8oz. Perhaps there was a synergic effect? On a Sat I usually have 1-3 beers. I think it's important to do it daily.

Alcohol is strongly related to a reduced CVD risk, they are not entirely sure why, but a rise in HDL is thought to be one reason.

The only physical change I have noticed is an increased tolerance for drinking. But it's only been since march of 2019 that my HDL rose, maybe my next cardiac heart scan will show a positive change, not that my last score of 119 was very high, it would be nice if it didn't go up any more.

Even if a higher HDL doesn't help, on paper it's nice to have it elevated, sort of one thing to cross off the list of health indicators.

Of course, like all drugs, too much alcohol is harmful.

Charliebizz

Nothing I had did in the past seemed to have much of an effect (positive or negative) on HDL. My HDL has been 31-46 since 1992.

I consume at least a tablespoon of cocoa powder a day, it seems to have little effect. I put a teaspoon in my coffee and now like the flavor.

Once I started the wine, my HDL rose over 40%, this is more than expected from wine alone. I usually have ~ 8oz. Perhaps there was a synergic effect? On a Sat I usually have 1-3 beers. I think it's important to do it daily.

Alcohol is strongly related to a reduced CVD risk, they are not entirely sure why, but a rise in HDL is thought to be one reason.

The only physical change I have noticed is an increased tolerance for drinking. But it's only been since march of 2019 that my HDL rose, maybe my next cardiac heart scan will show a positive change, not that my last score of 119 was very high, it would be nice if it didn't go up any more.

Even if a higher HDL doesn't help, on paper it's nice to have it elevated, sort of one thing to cross off the list of health indicators.

Good stuff brother. I actually seem to get some positives from moderate alcohol consumption I usually feel warmer the next day and a libido boost

Vonko1988

Alcohol has negative effect on most inflamatory processes in the body that usually cause many of the TRT side effects.

Also when your test is high and if you get wasted chance increases a lot of getting into fights. Dont ask me how I know that:D

Charliebizz

Alcohol has negative effect on most inflamatory processes in the body that usually cause many of the TRT side effects.

Also when your test is high and if you get wasted chance increases a lot of getting into fights. Dont ask me how I know that:D
That’s absolute bunk. Higher t never got me into more fights.

DragonBits

So how do you explain this?

Does alcohol affect inflammation?
Inflammation causes the symptoms of RA, including joint pain, stiffness, and fatigue. Heavy alcohol use can increase inflammation in the body, while moderate drinking may actually reduce inflammation.

A 2015 review states that moderate drinking can reduce certain markers of inflammation, which may include c-reactive protein, interleukin-6, and tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-alpha receptor 2. Binge drinking, on the other hand, increases inflammation.

How does alcohol affect rheumatoid arthritis (RA)?

xqfq

As you hint at (but expanding in case others are wondering), raising HDL may not help, as all studies and methods of raising HDL have shown no benefit. There may not even be a relationship between HDL-C and outcomes at all once LDL-P / ApoB is adjusted for. In the old data sets, ApoB wasn’t measured so HDL-C could sort of act as a proxy for it. I’m not sure of that though.

Lipidologist Tom Dayspring on HDL and alcohol: http://plantpositive.com/17-thomas-dayspring-lipidologi/

The decrease in HDL-C brought on by TRT may or may not confer increased risk. I personally lean toward it increasing risk, as there are studies on steroid using men showing decreased HDL function (cholesterol efflux):

All that said, I too like having HDL-C higher to check that “risk marker” box, particularly when physicians look at my blood work

DragonBits

@xqfq

I am pretty sure just the HDL-C number isn't what is important. Too many studies of increasing HDL have resulted in no benefit.

It's more its functional capacity.

The whole cholesterol efflux capacity (CEC) of HDL particles, size and type, is what is important. But it's complex, too complex for me to want to try and decipher even if I could.

Another comment, my HDL in the past was never that high, yet my cardiac heart scan back in 4/2018 was 79, not perfert but fairly OK for my age.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me