My Crestor ( Statin ) Concern. Small issue

Buy Lab Tests Online

broker

i have been taking crestor at only 5mgs Per day. My cholesterol dropped dramatically.
However, im a bit concerned with some other numbers.

LDl went from 127 to 79.
total cholesterol went from 203 to 146.
hdl is now 49.
my A1c is 5.3

below are my big concerns : opinions please?
my mchc is slightly elevated at 36.1 range ( 31.5-35.7 ) i have no idea what mchc is.
my A/G ratio is high at 2.6 ( range is 1.2- 2.2 )
my Albumin is 4.9 ( range 3.8 - 4.9 )

however, my fasting glucose went from 90 to 103 . That really bothered Me.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
What are your Vitamin B-12 and folic acid levels? You could be low. Albumin 4.9, are you dehydrated?

broker

At face value my cholesterol numbers were only a little elavated, particularly LDL at 127.
however, thats not why he put me on crestor. He put me on crestor because my ldl particle number was over 21000 !!! Should be under 1200.
thats why people with seemingly good cholesterol numbers can die from heart attacks. Most docs, unless a cardiologist, wont bother to check the ldl particle number and particle size. you can have a decent LDL number but a high particle number which can be dangerous.
you want large particles and low number. Mine were smaller with a very high number.
with the crestor, they are now at a low range.
however, I am now only using 2.5 mgs of crestor opposed to 5mgs to see if my glucose returns to normal while still maintaing good lipid numbers, particularly LDL number. We shall see. If glucose is still a little elevated ( mine was 103 ), i will try every other day since crestor has a long half life.

Vince, im on flomax, a urinate a decent amount and im guessing thats the reason for Albumin being at the higher end of normal.
last test my creatine was high but now within the normal range.

if you have elevated ldl or even slightly elevated but diet and workout only to still be elevated, statins are great meds. I say great meds if your blood work shows no adverse results.

Last edited:

Vince

Super Moderator

broker

My A1c was also 5.3 which my doc said was very good. My fasting glucose went from 90 to 103 while on crestor at 5 mgs. Everything else was good. I am now only using 2.5 mgs. If that gets my glucose back to normal, i will stay at that dosage.

mcs

My A1c was also 5.3 which my doc said was very good. My fasting glucose went from 90 to 103 while on crestor at 5 mgs. Everything else was good. I am now only using 2.5 mgs. If that gets my glucose back to normal, i will stay at that dosage.
Dose-dependent negative effects like many meds, yes. But a consistent FBG of 103 is prediabetic. Try the lower dose, you seem knowledgeable enough to realize that statins are a veritable double-edged sword. Yes, they reduce LDL (which really doesn't mean a lot at the end of the day and has a very minimal effect in reducing CV events); yes, they reduce inflammation (only good thing about them), but they are shown in numerous studies to be diabetogenic and will gradually destroy insulin sensitivity. Also, they can actually increase the real atherogenic culprit, Lp(a).
The only case of taking a statin in my mind is if you have familial hypercholesterolemia or a high CAC score, otherwise, I would look first into non-drug solutions like LCHF diet, bergamot, niacin, pantethine, fish oil, and failing those, look into the newly-released drug Nexletol (bempedoic acid) which does not have any of the deleterious long-term side effects that statins do.

If your CAC score is negative (0), then the advanced lipid markers have less impact in the grand scheme and should be used as a guide + there would be absolutely no reason to be on a statin.

Dr. Brewer seems to believe pravastatin doesn't cause IR, but I have only found evidence to the contrary:

Last edited:

Vince

Super Moderator
Here’s a thread on particle size, how true it is I don’t know.

broker

Vince, its true my particle size was on the small side. However, it was the LDL particle NUMBER, not so much the size. Basically too many cars in the highway opposed to just a few large buses.
optimally you want larger particle size and a low particle number.

Vince

Super Moderator
I was told by a cardiologist a few years ago, if you can keep your small particles under 270, you can reverse the growth of Coronary plaque.

sammmy

It is mind boggling why the focus is on lowering LDL when the primary cause of atherosclerosis is inflammation mediated by the immune system. Cholesterol is just an aggravating factor that comes for the ride but you can't reduce it to zero. Nobody bothers to make double blind human studies of anti-oxidants/ immuno-suppressants such as oral Super Oxide Dismutase or exract of Milk Thistle, which already look promising in preliminary studies or in animal models. Even more elementary supplements such as Quercetin or Glutathione have the potential to reduce oxidation and slightly suppress the immune system inflammation.

TucsonJJ

Here’s a thread on particle size, how true it is I don’t know.

Here is another that supports yours... I was initially freaked about my small particle number... but I had a Cardiac Calcium CT scan and it came back ZERO... which is amazing... that means zero calcification of my coronary arteries. I am 63. I firmly believe that it is INFLAMMATION, not cholesterol that causes clogging... guys should ask for a C-reactive protein test... FAR more indicative of potential issues...

TucsonJJ

Dose-dependent negative effects like many meds, yes. But a consistent FBG of 103 is prediabetic. Try the lower dose, you seem knowledgeable enough to realize that statins are a veritable double-edged sword. Yes, they reduce LDL (which really doesn't mean a lot at the end of the day and has a very minimal effect in reducing CV events); yes, they reduce inflammation (only good thing about them), but they are shown in numerous studies to be diabetogenic and will gradually destroy insulin sensitivity. Also, they can actually increase the real atherogenic culprit, Lp(a).
The only case of taking a statin in my mind is if you have familial hypercholesterolemia or a high CAC score, otherwise, I would look first into non-drug solutions like LCHF diet, bergamot, niacin, pantethine, fish oil, and failing those, look into the newly-released drug Nexletol (bempedoic acid) which does not have any of the deleterious long-term side effects that statins do.

If your CAC score is negative (0), then the advanced lipid markers have less impact in the grand scheme and should be used as a guide + there would be absolutely no reason to be on a statin.

Dr. Brewer seems to believe pravastatin doesn't cause IR, but I have only found evidence to the contrary:
Agree... Statins are dangerous, IMO... the only benefit over a placebo is a reduction in INFLAMMATION, which is the real danger... 2.5 mg Crestor should not be a problem... I take a supplement called 100:1 red Palm Oil concentrate from Swanson vitamins... it was very effective in dropping my total and LDL cholesterol numbers... I add some Weider red yeast rice to the mix... If I get lazy and stop... my numbers go up...
To keep inflammation at bay, 3-4000mg of vitamin C daily and 4000iu of D3... also some K-2 (MK7)... Curcumin is nice too...

TucsonJJ

I wouldn't be TOO concerned about the glucose, especially with your good A1c number.... numbers can and will vary between blood draws... depending on a lot of factors... if you are concerned, add some chromium and vanadium to your daily mix... maybe some cinnamon extract with meals... I bet your numbers come in lower...

sammmy

I take a supplement called 100:1 red Palm Oil concentrate from Swanson vitamins... it was very effective in dropping my total and LDL cholesterol numbers... I add some Weider red yeast rice to the mix... If I get lazy and stop... my numbers go up...

Does the Red Pail Oil concentrate work on LDL by itself or only when you add the red yeast rice?

Vince

Super Moderator
Here is another that supports yours... I was initially freaked about my small particle number... but I had a Cardiac Calcium CT scan and it came back ZERO... which is amazing... that means zero calcification of my coronary arteries. I am 63. I firmly believe that it is INFLAMMATION, not cholesterol that causes clogging... guys should ask for a C-reactive protein test... FAR more indicative of potential issues...
My buddy’s like you. He’s older then you , a Apo-e 3/4, has heart issues but has a zero score

TucsonJJ

Does the Red Pail Oil concentrate work on LDL by itself or only when you add the red yeast rice?
Red PALM Oil and yes, it does... I add the red yeast rice to give it more kick. Some RYR brands are not effective... teh Weider brand is. My numbers REALLY dropped. If you can only choose one, take the Red Palm Oil... but only the 100:1 concentrate... regular red palm oil is not effective.

TucsonJJ

My buddy’s like you. He’s older then you , a Apo-e 3/4, has heart issues but has a zero score
Are his heart issues due to his coronary arteries clogging up? Many heart issues are not related to clogging... his zero score means zero calcified plaque clogging... unless test was bogus... or, I have heard of "soft plaque"... which doesn't register... but it appears that calcified plaque is far more of a threat...

Vince

Super Moderator
Are his heart issues due to his coronary arteries clogging up? Many heart issues are not related to clogging... his zero score means zero calcified plaque clogging... unless test was bogus... or, I have heard of "soft plaque"... which doesn't register... but it appears that calcified plaque is far more of a threat...
No he has a zero calcium score. His issues are low EF

broker

We have to be careful when we say choesterol or plaque doesnt cause heart attacks, infammation does. When you have plaque from cholesterol, that in itself causes an infammatory reaction. The plaque/ cholesterol on arteries cause inflammation.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me