Muscle Sparing Effect of Testosterone While Dieting

Buy Lab Tests Online

Jinzang

I think this effect has been known in the bodybuilding community for some time, but it's good to have a study to back it up. The study was funded by the Department of Defence.

"The research reported in this publication is supported by the Collaborative Research to Optimize Warfighter Nutrition II and III projects and the Joint Program Committee-5, funded by the US Department of Defence."

It sounds like they're considering giving supplemental testosterone to troops before going on a mission. I posted something on the topic a while back. The full text of the article is online and it is under a Creative Commons License.

"Severe energy deficits during military operations, produced by significant increases in exercise and limited dietary intake, result in conditions that degrade lean body mass and lower-body muscle function, which may be mediated by concomitant reductions in circulating testosterone."

"We conducted a three-phase, proof-of-concept, single centre, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of non-obese men: 14-d run-in, free-living, eucaloric diet phase; 28-d live-in, 55% exercise- and diet-induced energy deficit phase with (200 mg testosterone enanthate per week, Testosterone, n = 24) or without (Placebo, n = 26) exogenous testosterone; and 14-d recovery, free-living, ad libitum diet phase. Body composition was the primary end point; secondary endpoints included lower-body muscle function and health-related biomarkers."

"Following energy deficit, lean body mass increased in Testosterone and remained stable in Placebo, such that lean body mass significantly differed between groups [mean difference between groups (95% CI), 2.5 kg (3.3, 1.6); P < .0001]. Fat mass decreased similarly in both treatment groups [0.2 (−0.4, 0.7), P = 1]. Change in lean body mass was associated with change in total testosterone (r = 0.71, P < .0001). Supplemental testosterone had no effect on lower-body muscle function or health-related biomarkers."

"Findings suggest that supplemental testosterone may increase lean body mass during short-term severe energy deficit in non-obese, young men, but it does not appear to attenuate lower-body functional decline."

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching