MTHFR gene mutation

Buy Lab Tests Online

Vince

Super Moderator
I have the MTHFR gene mutation. My doctor recommends that I take a methyl CPG supplement. I’m wondering if any members are using this type of supplement.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

davidrn

My wife and I each have one MTHFR defect. I was required for more than a decade to take Folic Acid(3mg/QD) because I was on Methotrexate (stopped a year ago), since that version might not be absorbed, I switched to MethylFolate, and Methyl B12.

hotdog

Hi Vince,
Up to 50% of the population have one of the, I believe, three types of MTHFR mutation.
It causes systemic inflammation by interfering with methyl group processing in the body.
It impacts homocysteine metabolism (it did for me). I just read Mayo Clinic notes on the mutation test... https://www.mayocliniclabs.com/testcatalog/Clinical+and+Interpretive/81648
...reserved for patients with acute disease... So we shouldn't know about it unless we are dying! Sigh.

Supplement I used is 5-MTHF (5-methyltetrahydrofolate) 1000-4000 mcg. This is the one that is always highlighted for the MTHFR mutation. Moved my homocysteine down from 13 to 9 and CRP from 5.5 to 0.82.

Is Methyl CPG better than straight 5-MTHF? 5-MTHF is included in a lot of B-complex supplements.
When I researched this I was leery of any product that has "folic acid" mentioned in ingredients. I only take folate.

Vince

Super Moderator
Hi Vince,
Up to 50% of the population have one of the, I believe, three types of MTHFR mutation.
It causes systemic inflammation by interfering with methyl group processing in the body.
It impacts homocysteine metabolism (it did for me). I just read Mayo Clinic notes on the mutation test... https://www.mayocliniclabs.com/testcatalog/Clinical+and+Interpretive/81648
...reserved for patients with acute disease... So we shouldn't know about it unless we are dying! Sigh.

Supplement I used is 5-MTHF (5-methyltetrahydrofolate) 1000-4000 mcg. This is the one that is always highlighted for the MTHFR mutation. Moved my homocysteine down from 13 to 9 and CRP from 5.5 to 0.82.

Is Methyl CPG better than straight 5-MTHF? 5-MTHF is included in a lot of B-complex supplements.
When I researched this I was leery of any product that has "folic acid" mentioned in ingredients. I only take folate.
Here's the ingredients of the one I'm currently looking at.

Riboflavin (as riboflavin 5'-phosphate sodium) 25 mg, Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxal 5'-phosphate) 15 mg, Folate [from 4 mg (6S) -5-methylfolate, glucosamine salt (Quatrefolic)] 2000 mcg, Vitamin B12 (as adenosylcobalamin and methylcobalamin) 1000 mcg, Trimethylglycine (TMG) 650 mg ***Other Ingredients: DRcaps Capsule (vegetable cellulose), Tricalcium Phosphate.

DragonBits

Hi Vince,

If I check my homocysteine and it's optimal, does anything else matter as concerns this issue?

My homocysteine was 9.

davidrn

Have you tested your (sensitive) CRP (C Reactive Protein) a marker for inflammation? My insurance policy covered my MTHFR testing, (although I do have an immune disease, maybe that warranted the test) I have one side of the A1298C, my wife the C677T defect, unfortunately, my son was tested and has one of each. You are right about 50% is effected by these genetic defects. It appears the easy solution is to take methyl versions of B vitamins.

Golfboy307

Good morning Vince! I think we have conversed on this before, but I am also MTHFR positive. My homocysteine was running in the 15 range. In my mid 40's I ran into: moderate high BP, low T and pre-diabetic A1C. Despite running 30 miles a week and a good diet. Maybe nothing to do with the MTHFR, but things were not trending well for me. Like you, heart disease on my father's side.

Hooked up with a very skilled MD at Body Logic and we have been treating all of this successfully for a few years. I am on a Methyl CPG supplement along with sublingual B12 once per day. Lowered by homocysteine from 15 to 8-9. Interesting that recent studies seem to indicate that this protocol doesn't seem to help with CV outcomes. Maybe so, but I feel a TON better on these B vitamins (energy levels etc). Also my inflammation levels remain very low as measured by the CRP test.

Hope this helps...

DragonBits

Have you tested your (sensitive) CRP (C Reactive Protein) a marker for inflammation? My insurance policy covered my MTHFR testing, (although I do have an immune disease, maybe that warranted the test) I have one side of the A1298C, my wife the C677T defect, unfortunately, my son was tested and has one of each. You are right about 50% is effected by these genetic defects. It appears the easy solution is to take methyl versions of B vitamins.

Not sure to whom you are addressing that question.

I do check my c-reactive, it varies between 0.6-4.0.

C-reactive isn't a good check for any sort of MTHFR problem, as c-reactive is raised because of many things, too much sugar, being over weight / fat, infections, injuries, etc.

Even intense exercise can raise c-reactive protein to as high as 50 for 2-6 days afterwards, though by "intense" they mean marathon running intense.

davidrn

For those who don't know about MTHFR genetic defects, by coincidence, got this in an email today:
Methylenetetrahydrofolate Reductase (MTHFR) is an important enzyme in the methylation cycle, which limits how quickly and efficiently methylation can happen in the body.
Methylation is a critical process in the body that involves transferring a methyl group to a molecule in our bodies, like our DNA, to turn our genes on or off.

Those with MTHFR may show normal levels of folate on their lab tests, but these labs are actually looking at folic acid levels, NOT folate. Folic acid is not the usable form of folate preferred by our bodies. Whether or not you have MTHFR, it is so important that you are getting the right form of folate in your diet and supplements (i.e. L-methylfolate). It's also important to avoid folic acid which can block the body's folate receptors and not activate them properly.*
Dr Ben Lynch was one of the doctors at the forefront of learning how this defect effects out health, to sum it up:

In a nutshell, the implication of the MTHFR gene variation is poor methylation. MTHFR can also show up as high homocysteine levels and/or excessive blood clotting, and can put you at greater risk for heavy metal toxicity

davidrn

You can also look at percentages, why not spend the extra dollar or two, for the Methyl versions of B vitamins. You have a 50/50 chance you have an issue. Unless you are Italian, then (it might be Sicilians) you have a 65% chance of the 607 defect(this is the one that has a high incidence of mental health issues. If you already are diagnosed with an autoimmune disease, you also more than likely have a defect, testing just reinforces the data, but, like I said, for a few extra bucks a year, you can feel safer.

Vvs1

Does anyone know a confidential gene analysis to check for MTHFR?

I believe it’s important to check the COMT gene if you are MTHFR positive. And I think MethylB12 and Methylfolate have to be taken simultaneously.

MarkLA

Does anyone know a confidential gene analysis to check for MTHFR?

I believe it’s important to check the COMT gene if you are MTHFR positive. And I think MethylB12 and Methylfolate have to be taken simultaneously.

23andme. You can run it with a "new" email address and fake name to improve privacy. When I did it, there was an option to not share my genetic info, etc. The degree that they adhere to their confidentiality commitments is anyone's guess.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me