More effective: IM or SubQ?

Buy Lab Tests Online
Which is more effective; IM or SubQ? SubQ is definitely more comfortable. Doc currently has me administering Test C via IM and HCG via SubQ.
Is IM better for oil based and SubQ better for water based?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vtail

I started IM then switched to SubQ because I found it easier. I felt no different and my labs did not change.

slicktop

I started IM then switched to SubQ because I found it easier. I felt no different and my labs did not change.
I'm thinking it won't make a significant difference for most men once you're "dialed in". I moved to subq because it was easier and no risk of scaring muscle tissue. Also, I'm in an area where there's no legal, free method to dispose of sharps, so using insulin syringes for subq shots means I can snip the tips off the syringes, throw away the rest of the syringe, and then throw away the snipper once it's full. Make it easy all the way around for me.

Cataceous

Super Moderator
IM injections typically are absorbed somewhat faster than SQ, leading to shorter apparent half-lives. But as @slicktop says, most won't notice the difference; in either case you do get all of the testosterone.

Cataceous

Super Moderator
Not so....quite few reports of people with half the blood T levels when doing subq vs IM. They are still in the minority.
I expect these claims would not hold up under controlled conditions, at least if we're talking about areas under the curves. Single serum measurements can of course be quite different due to the different absorption rates/apparent half-lives.

sh1973

I used to xyosted injections for a couple months after a right arm surgery and with 100mg my trough levels were nearly 300ng higher than with IM. Not exactly apples to apples considering ones enanthate and ones cypionate but I think I could have used the 50mg dose and been fine.

BillyJ03z

I had switched from IM (3xwk/120mg wk test cyp) to SubQ (ED inject/ 120mg wk test cyp) for about 6 months about 1 1/2 yrs ago and with SubQ my Total Test was 40-50% higher (went from 400's to 800's lab corp), FT was slightly higher (upper 100% plus of labcorp range), SHBG raised from single digits to mid 20's (lab corp range) E2 raised up 50% which I had to jump on Arimidex to control E2 and then i eventually went back to IM... I think I may have felt slightly better on SQ for a few days but the doubling E2 kind of threw a wrench into the protocol as I became very irritable and got the classic high E2 issues... On IM injects I don't have any E2 issues... Right now im in process of increasing my TesT Cyp injects to 180mg/wk to get my Total T levels into the 800's or higher as the current 120mg Cyp (40mg 3xwk) is keeping me in the 400's range at trough... I think maybe IM injects are metabolizing faster than the SubQ injects for me.... Everything on SubQ was great except for the damn E2 issues... Im at such crossroads right now.. Im thinking about going back to trying SubQ again at 20-25mg ED test cyp...

Last edited:

BillyJ03z

IM is more effective but less convenient. Just IMO.
Honsestly IM and SubQ are equally easy for me.... I use a 27g 1 1/2" needle for my IM injects in the Buttox and you can't even feel it going in and literally takes me the same amount of time to inject as SubQ... For SubQ I use 27g 1/2" insulin needle alternating left/right buttox.... as I posted earlier, my Testosterone levels were higher and more steady on SubQ as it was just the jump in E2 that pushed me back to IM.... I've been over 10yrs on TRT doing IM and never have gotten dialed in... time to switch it up.. Especially because of my single digit low SHBG I'm thinking eod SubQ would be the way to go right now... Looking at going to test Cyp 160mg total 3xWK - Monday 50mg, Wed 50mg and Fri 60mg (to account for the xtra day)

It is a personal choice. SQ has a higher risk of skin irritation, however is not very common especially if you massage the area after the injection. I have had some patients describe a slower and steady release into circulation with SQ. Whereas IM can feel like it gets in your system faster. Regardless, the differences are minimal and once again a personal preference. I do not see any significant difference in T levels based on which method is used.

M

MarkM

It is a personal choice. SQ has a higher risk of skin irritation, however is not very common especially if you massage the area after the injection. I have had some patients describe a slower and steady release into circulation with SQ. Whereas IM can feel like it gets in your system faster. Regardless, the differences are minimal and once again a personal preference. I do not see any significant difference in T levels based on which method is used.

I am one that tried SubQ and all was fine except that I would get a large lump at the injection site that would not dissipate for a week or so. I moved to IM and have not had a single issue. I inject daily in the deltoid, vastus lateralis outer thigh), or the ventrogluteal (VG). I move the injection site around. I don't remember exactly but recall my SubQ injections always seem to result in lower T levels when tested than the IM results. Just my personal experience.

Cyclingislife

Honsestly IM and SubQ are equally easy for me.... I use a 27g 1 1/2" needle for my IM injects in the Buttox and you can't even feel it going in and literally takes me the same amount of time to inject as SubQ... For SubQ I use 27g 1/2" insulin needle alternating left/right buttox.... as I posted earlier, my Testosterone levels were higher and more steady on SubQ as it was just the jump in E2 that pushed me back to IM.... I've been over 10yrs on TRT doing IM and never have gotten dialed in... time to switch it up.. Especially because of my single digit low SHBG I'm thinking eod SubQ would be the way to go right now... Looking at going to test Cyp 160mg total 3xWK - Monday 50mg, Wed 50mg and Fri 60mg (to account for the xtra day)
Not sure if you finally got dialed in but I had a similar problem with low shbg & struggled for years to figure trt out. Most doctors have no idea how to manage low shbg guys. I think your dose at 120 per week Everyday subQ was still too high, that’s why your E2 was so elevated. Forget about total T & just focus on keeping your free t from going toI high. That’s what matters. You may find that 80-100mg per week is all you need without needing an AI. I went to 12mg everyday SubQ & feel incredible, free T upper 1/3, no AI, E2 mid range. I notice if I go up to 14mg per day I don’t feel as good. As a matter of fact I may experiment going lower. The best advice I ever got was from a very well known trt doctor who told me to manage my dose 100% by how you feel. That’s how you dial in. I recommend keeping a daily Log of dose & how you feel. Remember, the max testosterone your body produces naturally when your young is only 4-7mg per day. Testosterone cypionate is 70% test, 30% oil. If you dose Just 10mg of cyp per day you’re netting 7mg which is the max the male body produces. Less is more. The US docs have guys way to over prescribed, that’s why they’re all on here trying to figure out a protocol.

Cataceous

Super Moderator
... Testosterone cypionate is 70% test, 30% oil. ...
Good advice there about physiological dosing, but this statement may be confusing. Testosterone cypionate is 70% testosterone and 30% cypionate ester. The ester is distinct from the carrier oil, and is not usually called "oil." In a conventional 200 mg/mL testosterone cypionate product each milliliter has 140 mg testosterone, 60 mg cypionate ester and a small amount of preservative. The balance, 70-80%, is the carrier oil, e.g. grape seed oil.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me