Metformin Reduces Muscle Growth from Resistance Training

Buy Lab Tests Online

Jinzang

A new blinded study found that metformin reduces muscle growth from resistance training. A cautionary note to those taking it for anti-aging purposes. The full text of the study is available at the link.

Progressive resistance exercise training (PRT) is the most effective known intervention for combating aging skeletal muscle atrophy. However, the hypertrophic response to PRT is variable, and this may be due to muscle inflammation susceptibility. Metformin reduces inflammation, so we hypothesized that metformin would augment the muscle response to PRT in healthy women and men aged 65 and older. In a randomized, double‐blind trial, participants received 1,700 mg/day metformin (N = 46) or placebo (N = 48) throughout the study, and all subjects performed 14 weeks of supervised PRT. Although responses to PRT varied, placebo gained more lean body mass (p = .003) and thigh muscle mass (p < .001) than metformin. CT scan showed that increases in thigh muscle area (p = .005) and density (p = .020) were greater in placebo versus metformin. There was a trend for blunted strength gains in metformin that did not reach statistical significance. Analyses of vastus lateralis muscle biopsies showed that metformin did not affect fiber hypertrophy, or increases in satellite cell or macrophage abundance with PRT. However, placebo had decreased type I fiber percentage while metformin did not (p = .007).

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

xyzzy

In his recent interview on The Joe Rogan Experience, David Sinclair, longevity researcher, says that's why he doesn't take metformin on the days he exercises.

But it didn't sound like it was something that he or anyone had rigorously studied.

See: David Sinclair, Ph.D. - The Joe Rogan Experience #1349 - Podcast Notes

• Although metformin may have an anti-aging effect, some studies show it decreases physical performance in athletes
    • Because of this, David only takes metformin on days he doesn’t exercise

HealthMan

I stopped metformin and added Gymnema sylvestre. It seems to help with blood sugar levels without impacting muscle growth. Lets see if it really works

chrisczan

So interested in this. Seems like a damn miracle drug, but then low and behold, it might be basically wasting your time in the gym. Wish they’d do a study with younger people that are on trt, damn it!!!

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me