METFORMIN - no change in glucose readings

Buy Lab Tests Online

mcs

I've been on Metformin for a month now. I am not diabetic and am taking it for the anti-aging and cardiovascular benefits, etc. I eat the same diet (low carb).

I have not seen any difference in my fasting or postprandial readings. Same issue with taking berberine (which I still take with Metformin).

I am now up to 2g/day of extended release. No side effects that I can tell (maybe some constipation). Doc said that I won't since I'm not T2D.

Is this a common occurrence in other non-diabetics?

Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vtail

I am the same as you, with the exception of the constipation. Metformin (500mg 2x per day) dropped my A1C by 0.3 after 3 months but blood glucose stayed the same - which in my case always hovers around 100. I dropped the Metformin down to 500 1x per day, and my A1C and blood glucose were both unchanged from the higher dose.

My reason for dropping the dose was it seemed to impact my cardio workouts. At 500mg per day I feel fine during workouts. I was a bit surprised that my A1C did not creep up a bit. So I plan on staying at 500mg/day.

mcs

I am the same as you, with the exception of the constipation. Metformin (500mg 2x per day) dropped my A1C by 0.3 after 3 months but blood glucose stayed the same - which in my case always hovers around 100. I dropped the Metformin down to 500 1x per day, and my A1C and blood glucose were both unchanged from the higher dose.

My reason for dropping the dose was it seemed to impact my cardio workouts. At 500mg per day I feel fine during workouts. I was a bit surprised that my A1C did not creep up a bit. So I plan on staying at 500mg/day.
I assume you're non-diabetic? How long have you been on it?

Strange our glucose readings don't change. I still don't understand exactly the mechanism but I think it has something to do with glucose homeostasis in that diabetics have impaired beta cell function whereas non-diabetics do not - and Metformin works on the basis of correcting the dysfunction if there is one.

Vtail

I assume you're non-diabetic? How long have you been on it?
Correct - non diabetic. My A1C ranged from 5.4 to 5.6 before Metformin and now is 5.3

My blood glucose has been about 100 +/- for years. I've tried cleaning up my diet, exercise and lost a few pounds (I was never overweight) but my glucose level never changed.

Dialingitin

My blood glucose has been about 100 +/- for years. I've tried cleaning up my diet, exercise and lost a few pounds (I was never overweight) but my glucose level never changed.

Is your +/- 100 circulating glucose number tested in a fasted state (i.e., morning before eating)? If so, I'm not sure metformin supplementation would impact that reading since it (along with any diet-related glucose) would seem to be long gone from your system by the time you are pulling blood. Instead, your liver would be making glucose (gluconeogensis).

One of the functions of insulin is to effectively block gluconeogensis upon feeding, but that blocking function is compromised in those who have insulin resistance. With your glucose and A1c numbers, are you insulin resistant or have some spectrum of metabolic syndrome?

I'm super interested in this stuff because I've always hovered around 99/100 fasted glucose levels, regardless of how strict my keto diet and intermittent fasting schedule. Very frustrating and one of the reasons I am now giving GLP1 a try.

mcs

Is your +/- 100 circulating glucose number tested in a fasted state (i.e., morning before eating)? If so, I'm not sure metformin supplementation would impact that reading since it (along with any diet-related glucose) would seem to be long gone from your system by the time you are pulling blood. Instead, your liver would be making glucose (gluconeogensis).

One of the functions of insulin is to effectively block gluconeogensis upon feeding, but that blocking function is compromised in those who have insulin resistance. With your glucose and A1c numbers, are you insulin resistant or have some spectrum of metabolic syndrome?

I'm super interested in this stuff because I've always hovered around 99/100 fasted glucose levels, regardless of how strict my keto diet and intermittent fasting schedule. Very frustrating and one of the reasons I am now giving GLP1 a try.
I'm in the same boat always having had high FBG. Even if I eat a protein snack at night, it just raises my glucose levels the next morning. It just hangs. Was hoping Met would suppress that. Only thing that suppresses it is moderate exercise like taking a walk or fasting for 15+ hours and letting the residual glucose just burn off. only then can I get into the 80s. I can drop it 20+ points and just doing that, but it is transient.

Semaglutide (Ozempic)? I asked my endo if it would, he said unlikely in non-diabetics for same mechanism. Let us know if it works in suppressing glucose any better. Are you stacking it with Met?

Last edited:

Dialingitin

I’m on Tirzepatide (Mounjaro), six weeks in, and I love it. It’s completely different from met or berberine (I usually include a lipo version of berberine) as it targets multiple mechanisms including effectiveness of insulin, activation of leptin receptors, slowed gastric emptying, appetite suppression (which “feels” more like ghrelin suppression and leptin stimulation), lowered systemic inflammation, among other things.

I hesitate to say this, but I kind of “feel” less circulating glucose (haha, I know). But small things like skin discoloration clearing up, shrinking skin tags, elimination of dry skin patches especially on my feet, a few other signals makes me feel like there is less glucose poison coursing through my veins on average. Of course, could be placebo.

For the time being I‘ve substantially reduced my supp stack, including berberine, and keep what I put in my stomach to a bare minimum. I feel somewhat full all day long and swallowing a fist full of supps makes me feel pretty nauseous. This will probably last a few more weeks. No plans to add berberine for now.

mcs

I’m on Tirzepatide (Mounjaro), six weeks in, and I love it. It’s completely different from met or berberine (I usually include a lipo version of berberine) as it targets multiple mechanisms including effectiveness of insulin, activation of leptin receptors, slowed gastric emptying, appetite suppression (which “feels” more like ghrelin suppression and leptin stimulation), lowered systemic inflammation, among other things.

I hesitate to say this, but I kind of “feel” less circulating glucose (haha, I know). But small things like skin discoloration clearing up, shrinking skin tags, elimination of dry skin patches especially on my feet, a few other signals makes me feel like there is less glucose poison coursing through my veins on average. Of course, could be placebo.

For the time being I‘ve substantially reduced my supp stack, including berberine, and keep what I put in my stomach to a bare minimum. I feel somewhat full all day long and swallowing a fist full of supps makes me feel pretty nauseous. This will probably last a few more weeks. No plans to add berberine for now.
Even more effective than Semaglutide, a GIP/GLP-1 combo, the latest!
How were you able to get a scrip? How long on it? Besides you "feeling" less glucose, has it actually reduced fasting glucose levels? Weight/fat loss? How's the nausea? Constipation from delayed emptying?

Vtail

Is your +/- 100 circulating glucose number tested in a fasted state (i.e., morning before eating)?

With your glucose and A1c numbers, are you insulin resistant or have some spectrum of metabolic syndrome?

Yes - always get blood tested in a fasted state.

As for metabolic syndrome, I have never heard of it before but I have never been told by any doctor that I am insulin resistant or have any level of metabolic syndrome. I do have mild hypertension that is well maintained with Telmisartan, and I did have poor lipid numbers and was on lipitor for years. However once I began thyroid meds a few years ago (synthroid and liothyronine) my lipids came back within a good range and I was able to stop the lipitor.

Dialingitin

Even more effective than Semaglutide, a GIP/GLP-1 combo, the latest!
How were you able to get a scrip? How long on it? Besides you "feeling" less glucose, has it actually reduced fasting glucose levels? Weight/fat loss? How's the nausea? Constipation from delayed emptying?
Script was easy: quick telemed appt with Push Health (or something like that), had Rx within a few hours. I did, however, inform my PCP. He was on vacation otherwise I would have gone through him.

I have not done bloods so i don’t yet know what glucose levels are. The trials data are very clear in its strong glucose level reducing effects however.

I’m into my sixth week (the titration schedule increases dosage by 2.5 mg every four weeks). I am trying not to stare at the scale because the trials data show the significant weight loss occurs in the 10-15mg dose period and I just got to 5mg. I am down about 15 pounds since starting. I’ve been obsessive about getting my quality gym time in, as well as short bursts of cardio whenever i can. Clothes are fitting much better and I look better in the mirror; I feel great about my body recomp efforts.

Side effects are pretty limited to occasional nausea, especially if I eat more in one sitting than I can handle - then it feels like food just sits in my throat. That’s easy to navigate. No real issues with constipation but it’s important to pound water and take magnesium.

My main focus is to make sure I am getting enough protein daily and I’m probably failing there (but working on it!). Because of the calorie deficit I should be weak/tired, but I’m not. In fact, gym time has been amazing. I think this is where TRT is having the biggest positive impact for me - it gives me enough energy to keep hitting the gym and recover quickly.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me