Metformin Decreases Aerobic Capacity, Muscle Mass and Testosterone

Buy Lab Tests Online

Rock H. Johnson

I have been on 2x1000mg a day but I lost my endurance(Kun Khmer/Muay Thai training) and workout capacity/volume. I had no common sides from it, no diarrea etc, but felt physically limited.
A strange feeling of being limited by the amount of energy the body had stored or could generate on the mitochondrial level. More like a cellular exhaustion. Stopped taking it after 5 months and have not experienced that any longer. I do still like the promise of Metformin and will use it again when I will slow down...... (ends with a 2-min cameo by @nelsonvergel)

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
I've been on metformin for many years now and I really like the drug. But after reading articles like this one. I wonder how I would feel if I stop taking it. My ac-1 and fasting glucose has been in a pretty good range for a long time (I eat low carb). I also have been on a low-carb diet, which really helped to be controlled my insulin resistance.

Robotics

I am guessing low dose berberine has similar negative effects? is there some sort of balance on dosage where the effects are minimal?

n2turbo2

I was thinking of starting Metformin, I stumbled on this on the web. Metformin medication may help treat erectile dysfunction. New research suggests that the widely used type 2 diabetes drug metformin could double as a treatment for men with erectionproblems. .. Is this true?

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
To study the effect of metformin on androgens in normal men. A total of 12 healthy males volunteered to participate in the study. A blood sample was obtained from each of them and analyzed for the following: Testosterone (total and free), sex hormone binding globulin dehydroepiandrosterone sulphate, 17-hydroxyprogesterone, luteinizing hormone, and follicle stimulating hormone. In addition, each participant was subjected to a glucose tolerance test and his insulin level was measured. Metformin 850 mg twice daily for 2-weeks was given to each subject after which the above tests were repeated. A paired t-test was used to assess the statistical significance of any observed differences before and after metformin. After metformin administration, there was a significant reduction in serum level of total testosterone (p=0.0001), free testosterone (P=0.002), and 17 hydroxyprogesterone (p=0.0001). There was also a significant increase in serum level of sex hormone binding globulin (p=0.009) and dehydroepiandrosterone sulphate (P=0.0008). Serum levels of luteinizing hormone and follicle stimulating hormone showed no significant changes. Similarly, there were no changes in fasting plasma glucose, fasting serum insulin, weight, or blood pressure. Metformin administration was associated with a reduction in total testosterone, free testosterone, and 17-hydroxyprogesterone and an increase in sex hormone binding globulin and dehydroepiandrosterone sulphate in normal males. The clinical significance of these findings needs further investigation.

effect of metformin on men hormones testosterone.jpg

DragonBits

To study the effect of metformin on androgens in normal men. A total of 12 healthy males volunteered to participate in the study. A blood sample was obtained from each of them and analyzed for the following: Testosterone (total and free), sex hormone binding globulin dehydroepiandrosterone sulphate, 17-hydroxyprogesterone, luteinizing hormone, and follicle stimulating hormone. In addition, each participant was subjected to a glucose tolerance test and his insulin level was measured. Metformin 850 mg twice daily for 2-weeks was given to each subject after which the above tests were repeated. A paired t-test was used to assess the statistical significance of any observed differences before and after metformin. After metformin administration, there was a significant reduction in serum level of total testosterone (p=0.0001), free testosterone (P=0.002), and 17 hydroxyprogesterone (p=0.0001). There was also a significant increase in serum level of sex hormone binding globulin (p=0.009) and dehydroepiandrosterone sulphate (P=0.0008). Serum levels of luteinizing hormone and follicle stimulating hormone showed no significant changes. Similarly, there were no changes in fasting plasma glucose, fasting serum insulin, weight, or blood pressure. Metformin administration was associated with a reduction in total testosterone, free testosterone, and 17-hydroxyprogesterone and an increase in sex hormone binding globulin and dehydroepiandrosterone sulphate in normal males. The clinical significance of these findings needs further investigation.

View attachment 9676

Here is the rub for most of "us" here.

Does metformin lower the level of testosterone in those of us that inject and aren't producing testosterone naturally? (I would guess not, but LH in before and after Met didn't change as much as total T.) Is our SHBG affected?

sokaiya

i've never had that issue and i take 750mg ER at night. I easily gain muscle and I'm a competitive boxer. Guys, these studies are done on regular couch potatoes for the most part they are not done on hyper-muscular individuals who are on mod to high dosage of testosterone and anything else. Until they control for those variables i'll take these studies with a grain of salt.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com

Fernando Almaguer

View attachment 9676
Nelson although Metformin might damper our exercise, I think it's incredible that diabetics that take metformin live longer than non diabetics that do not take the drug. This is on average. This is data that Dr. David Sinclair and Rhonda Patrick share on a regular basis.

nodoctor

metformin is off my list for these reasons. I wonder if the defects were only with the recalled stuff that had elevated NDMA(nitrosamines) or with all metformin. Sounds like a good "steer clear" call to me.

BigTex

I will add this interesting meta analysis on metformin and IGF-1 levels:

Yang X, Kord-Varkaneh H, Talaei S, Clark CCT, Zanghelini F, Tan SC, Zarezadeh M, Mousavi SM, Rahmani J, Zhang Y. The influence of metformin on IGF-1 levels in humans: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Pharmacol Res. 2020 Jan;151:104588. doi: 10.1016/j.phrs.2019.104588. Epub 2019 Dec 6. PMID: 31816435.

Abstract​

Background: A meta-analysis is needed to comprehensively consolidate findings from the influence of metformin on IGF-1 levels. The present study was conducted with the objective to accurately evaluate the influence of metformin intake on IGF-1 levels via a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.
Methods: A comprehensive systematic search was carried out in PubMed/MEDLINE, Web of Science, SCOPUS and Embase from inception until June 2019. Weighted mean difference (WMD) with the 95 % CI were applied for estimating the effects of metformin on serum IGF-1 levels.
Results: 11 studies involving a total of 569 individuals reported changes in IGF-1 plasma concentrations as an outcome measure. Pooled results demonstrated an overall non-significant decline in IGF-1 following metformin intake (WMD: -8.292 ng/ml, 95 % CI: -20.248, 3.664, p = 0.174) with heterogeneity among (p = 0.000,I2 = 87.1 %). The subgroup analyses displayed that intervention duration <12 weeks on children (WMD:-55.402 ng/ml, 95 % CI: -79.845, -30.960, I2 = 0.0 %) significantly reduced IGF-1. Moreover, in age 18 < years older metformin intake (WMD: 15.125 ng/ml, 95 % CI: 5.522, 24.729, I2 = 92.5 %) significantly increased IGF-1 than 18 ≤ years older (WMD:-1.038 ng/ml, 95 % CI: -3.578,1.502,I2 = 78.0 %). Following dose-response evaluation, metformin intake reduced IGF-1 (coefficient for dose-response analysis= -13.14, P = 0.041 and coefficient for liner analysis= -0.066, P = 0.038) significantly based on treatment duration.
Conclusion: We found in children, intervention duration <12 weeks yielded significant reductions in IGF-1, whilst paradoxically, in participants >18 years old, metformin intake significantly increased IGF-1. We suggest that caution be taken when interpreting the findings of this review, particularly given the discordant supplementation practices between children and adults.

mcs

I will add this interesting meta analysis on metformin and IGF-1 levels:

Yang X, Kord-Varkaneh H, Talaei S, Clark CCT, Zanghelini F, Tan SC, Zarezadeh M, Mousavi SM, Rahmani J, Zhang Y. The influence of metformin on IGF-1 levels in humans: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Pharmacol Res. 2020 Jan;151:104588. doi: 10.1016/j.phrs.2019.104588. Epub 2019 Dec 6. PMID: 31816435.

Abstract​

Background: A meta-analysis is needed to comprehensively consolidate findings from the influence of metformin on IGF-1 levels. The present study was conducted with the objective to accurately evaluate the influence of metformin intake on IGF-1 levels via a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.
Methods: A comprehensive systematic search was carried out in PubMed/MEDLINE, Web of Science, SCOPUS and Embase from inception until June 2019. Weighted mean difference (WMD) with the 95 % CI were applied for estimating the effects of metformin on serum IGF-1 levels.
Results: 11 studies involving a total of 569 individuals reported changes in IGF-1 plasma concentrations as an outcome measure. Pooled results demonstrated an overall non-significant decline in IGF-1 following metformin intake (WMD: -8.292 ng/ml, 95 % CI: -20.248, 3.664, p = 0.174) with heterogeneity among (p = 0.000,I2 = 87.1 %). The subgroup analyses displayed that intervention duration <12 weeks on children (WMD:-55.402 ng/ml, 95 % CI: -79.845, -30.960, I2 = 0.0 %) significantly reduced IGF-1. Moreover, in age 18 < years older metformin intake (WMD: 15.125 ng/ml, 95 % CI: 5.522, 24.729, I2 = 92.5 %) significantly increased IGF-1 than 18 ≤ years older (WMD:-1.038 ng/ml, 95 % CI: -3.578,1.502,I2 = 78.0 %). Following dose-response evaluation, metformin intake reduced IGF-1 (coefficient for dose-response analysis= -13.14, P = 0.041 and coefficient for liner analysis= -0.066, P = 0.038) significantly based on treatment duration.
Conclusion: We found in children, intervention duration <12 weeks yielded significant reductions in IGF-1, whilst paradoxically, in participants >18 years old, metformin intake significantly increased IGF-1. We suggest that caution be taken when interpreting the findings of this review, particularly given the discordant supplementation practices between children and adults.
While all my T levels across-the-board tanked after starting metformin, my IGF-1 levels sharply increased from a baseline of 250 to almost 400 after taking tesamorelin, ipamorelin/CJC-1295. I am not on testosterone therapy at the moment and feel that anyone that is on metformin should be hormonally optimized.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me