Metformin and Its Benefits in Improving Gut Microbiota

Buy Lab Tests Online

Vince

Super Moderator
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on research (animal studies mostly) demonstrating that metformin treatment could increase A. muciniphila gut population....

Lee H, Ko G. Effect of metformin on metabolic improvement and gut microbiota. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2014 Oct;80(19):5935-43. doi: 10.1128/AEM.01357-14. Epub 2014 Jul 18. PMID: 25038099; PMCID: PMC4178684.

Zhou K. Strategies to promote abundance of Akkermansia muciniphila, an emerging probiotics in the gut, evidence from dietary intervention studies. J Funct Foods. 2017;33:194-201. doi:10.1016/j.jff.2017.03.045

The human gastrointestinal tract presents a vastly population of microorganisms, called the microbiota. The presence of these microorganisms offers many benefits to the host, through a range of physiological functions. However, there is a potential for these mechanisms to be disrupted condition, known as dysbiosis. Recent results are showing important associations between diabetes and the gut microbiota and how the intestinal flora can influence the prognosis of this illness. Microbial intestinal imbalance has been linked to alterations in insulin sensitivity and in glucose metabolism and may play an important role in the development of diabetes. Metformin is one of the most important and widely used first-line medications for the management of type 2 diabetes (T2D). It is a complex drug with multiple sites of action and multiple molecular mechanisms. In recent years, attention has been directed to other modes of action, other than the classic ones, with increasing evidence of a major key role of the intestine. By analysing the effects of metformin on the homeostasis of the microbiota of diabetes patients, our present topic becomes one of the major importance in understanding how metformin therapy can improve gut microbiota dysbiosis and thus provide a better outcome for this illness.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Joe Sixpack

I found this other article

Did you end up quitting metformin? I believe it was impacting your gym performance.

DorianGray

That concerns me going forward. I've only been on Meformin about 3 weeks 500mg in pm.
I've added a supplement to counter known Vit B depletion, which contains, B6, B12, Betaine.
No noticeable atrophy yet, no muscle pain. That's an interesting combo in the Synergy capsules.

Vince

Super Moderator
That concerns me going forward. I've only been on Meformin about 3 weeks 500mg in pm.
I've added a supplement to counter known Vit B depletion, which contains, B6, B12, Betaine.
No noticeable atrophy yet, no muscle pain. That's an interesting combo in the Synergy capsules.
Your dose is too low to be of any benefit.

DorianGray

Your dose is too low to be of any benefit.

I was basing dose on that recommended by Life Extension for anti-aging benefits for otherwise healthy, non-diabetic people. However, reviewing more and current data, it may be not worth the potential negative or neutral effects. Seriously, reconsidering.

Joe Sixpack

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching