Melatonin: functional significance for optimal cellular physiology - Prof. Russel Reiter (14/11/19)

Buy Lab Tests Online

Vince

Super Moderator

My notes.

Dr. Russell J. Reiter said he’s taken melatonin for 27 years to protect his mitochondria. He thinks that this protection, and other effects of melatonin, are far superior to what it does for sleep. One of the most important things that it does is to detoxify Reactive Oxygen Species. It does this by three possible methods: 1) electron donation, 2) hydrogen atom donation, and 3) radical adduct formation (?). Melatonin is used by the mitochondria to protect us against free radicals because we need ATP.

Melatonin, as well as Vit C and Vit E, are free radical scavengers. Vit C and Vit E can each scavenge one free radical before they have to be recycled. Melatonin donates, biochemically becomes something else, donates, becomes something else, etc. They’ve measured that the whole family line may scavenge 10 free radicals.

As you age, you lose melatonin. Therefore, the older you are, the faster you age, because you’re losing the best mitochondrial protection - melatonin. Those in best health have better-preserved production of melatonin. The higher the melatonin peak you have at night, the better. With age, mitochondria no longer produce melatonin, and that’s why he takes it.

Melatonin can inhibit cancer, and it changes chemo-resistant cancer to chemo-sensitive cancer. Melatonin can also protect against heart attack and stroke. Many types of cancer are inhibited by melatonin, not only breast cancer. Fibromyalgia pain can be treated by melatonin.

He recommends starting to take melatonin 3 mg at about age 45. Some diabetics take 1 gram. He takes 100 mg but says he is very old. I guesstimate his age to be about 85; he got his PhD in 1964.

Recommended sources that are both pure and effective are Source Naturals, Natrol (which he uses), Costco (I think that’s right; the sound was blurry), and NatureMade.

He says that melatonin is not a soporific; it only has a normal circadian sleep effect, enough to open someone’s sleep gate when taken at their right time. Some take it 20 minutes ahead but might make better use of it 2 hours before.

Melatonin is not a hormone; it has antioxidant action. What you take does not interfere with your own metabolism of it. There is no dependence on what you take. If you take it for 5 years and then stop, no problem.

Use red or yellow light in night lights so you can produce melatonin and circadian rhythm as you sleep or if you wake up. He mentioned several times that any white light during the night will turn off melatonin production. Melatonin does not force sleep; it is highest at night even in animals that are active at night. It does what is needed at the time, and that may not be sleep.

When asked about melatonin and depression, he mentioned that one possible mechanism by which melatonin might relieve depression would be via synchronizing circadian rhythm, making it possible for someone who’s depressed to feel normal again.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

JimGainz

Great info. I was surprised to see that there was no dependence on taking it. I was concerned because I need it for sleep recently and was worried about coming off. Can anyone confirm this through actual experience?

TorontoTRT

5 mg or less is for jet lag. As far as sleep melatonin never made me sleepy. I don’t take it for sleep. I take it for anti aging, antioxidant, it prevents all sorts of stuff. It also prevents Corona type viruses from attaching to lung tissue. From research 20-30 mg is a good dose.
Very interesting! how did you end up at 30mg? From what I have always heard they say use 5mg or less. What benefits do you get from it? Deep sleep??? Thank you!

Vince

Super Moderator
I just left my lipidologist office. I'm at the golf course, so I only have a second. The melatonin worked, I just had my best Labs ever.

I was taking 100 mg of melatonin daily.

Guided_by_Voices

@Vince , did it increase your HDL by chance? Mine has been up and down. I'm also curious if it lowered your resting heart rate. Mine has been elevated (for me) which is a bit of a mystery.

Z

Zibernet

"Melatonin and prolactin are induced by stress, and darkness is a stress because it impairs mitochondrial energy production."

"In 1994 A.V. Sirotkin found that melatonin inhibits progesterone production but stimulates estrogen production, and it’s widely recognized that melatonin generally inhibits the thyroid hormones, creating an environment in which fertilization, implantation, and development of the embryo are not possible. This combination of high estrogen with low progesterone and low thyroid decreases the resistance of the organism, predisposing it to seizures and excitotoxic damage, and causing the thymus gland to atrophy."

Gman86

"Melatonin and prolactin are induced by stress, and darkness is a stress because it impairs mitochondrial energy production."

"In 1994 A.V. Sirotkin found that melatonin inhibits progesterone production but stimulates estrogen production, and it’s widely recognized that melatonin generally inhibits the thyroid hormones, creating an environment in which fertilization, implantation, and development of the embryo are not possible. This combination of high estrogen with low progesterone and low thyroid decreases the resistance of the organism, predisposing it to seizures and excitotoxic damage, and causing the thymus gland to atrophy."
Jesus, if this is true my gf is screwed! She takes melatonin every night, luckily fairly low dose, but her progesterone is already really low, and gee thyroid is definitely not optimal, all based on labs, and this was before she started supplementing. So if this is true, her hormones might be even more imbalanced after starting to use melatonin every night. I’m gonna have to look into this

UCFguy01

Me and my wife have been taking 10mg of melatonin at night for years. I sometimes forget to take it or if we're out of town and we don't have it with us, we won't take it. We've never felt the dependence on it. It's just something that makes it really easy to go to sleep.

Vince

Super Moderator

Guided_by_Voices

Melatonin also turns out to play a major role in immune system function. The COVID protocols that seem to work (e.g. FLCCC, etc.) include 30mg or so of Melatonin.

HeatherM

Very interesting! how did you end up at 30mg? From what I have always heard they say use 5mg or less. What benefits do you get from it? Deep sleep??? Thank you!
It depends on your age. Start at age 40 and increase as you get older. In an interview with Mercola, he said at the age of 87 he's up to 80 mg.

K.pietera

My notes.

Dr. Russell J. Reiter said he’s taken melatonin for 27 years to protect his mitochondria. He thinks that this protection, and other effects of melatonin, are far superior to what it does for sleep. One of the most important things that it does is to detoxify Reactive Oxygen Species. It does this by three possible methods: 1) electron donation, 2) hydrogen atom donation, and 3) radical adduct formation (?). Melatonin is used by the mitochondria to protect us against free radicals because we need ATP.

Melatonin, as well as Vit C and Vit E, are free radical scavengers. Vit C and Vit E can each scavenge one free radical before they have to be recycled. Melatonin donates, biochemically becomes something else, donates, becomes something else, etc. They’ve measured that the whole family line may scavenge 10 free radicals.

As you age, you lose melatonin. Therefore, the older you are, the faster you age, because you’re losing the best mitochondrial protection - melatonin. Those in best health have better-preserved production of melatonin. The higher the melatonin peak you have at night, the better. With age, mitochondria no longer produce melatonin, and that’s why he takes it.

Melatonin can inhibit cancer, and it changes chemo-resistant cancer to chemo-sensitive cancer. Melatonin can also protect against heart attack and stroke. Many types of cancer are inhibited by melatonin, not only breast cancer. Fibromyalgia pain can be treated by melatonin.

He recommends starting to take melatonin 3 mg at about age 45. Some diabetics take 1 gram. He takes 100 mg but says he is very old. I guesstimate his age to be about 85; he got his PhD in 1964.

Recommended sources that are both pure and effective are Source Naturals, Natrol (which he uses), Costco (I think that’s right; the sound was blurry), and NatureMade.

He says that melatonin is not a soporific; it only has a normal circadian sleep effect, enough to open someone’s sleep gate when taken at their right time. Some take it 20 minutes ahead but might make better use of it 2 hours before.

Melatonin is not a hormone; it has antioxidant action. What you take does not interfere with your own metabolism of it. There is no dependence on what you take. If you take it for 5 years and then stop, no problem.

Use red or yellow light in night lights so you can produce melatonin and circadian rhythm as you sleep or if you wake up. He mentioned several times that any white light during the night will turn off melatonin production. Melatonin does not force sleep; it is highest at night even in animals that are active at night. It does what is needed at the time, and that may not be sleep.

When asked about melatonin and depression, he mentioned that one possible mechanism by which melatonin might relieve depression would be via synchronizing circadian rhythm, making it possible for someone who’s depressed to feel normal again.
What is the best to do , take a time released or a quick release type of melatonin.
I feel with the time release I wake up at night and can't go to sleep anymore and with the quick release it's less of that.

Also For me it works best If I keep it under 1mg but that is for sleep....
Thanks !

Vince

Super Moderator
What is the best to do , take a time released or a quick release type of melatonin.
I feel with the time release I wake up at night and can't go to sleep anymore and with the quick release it's less of that.

Also For me it works best If I keep it under 1mg but that is for sleep....
Thanks !
I'm taking the chewable. I don't use it for sleep only for health benefits. I'm taking 150 mg plus, around 2 hours before bed. I order a book today about the benefits of high-dose melatonin. I was surprised to see how many books there are about the subject.

There are many anecdotal reports on large dosages of melatonin causing depression in some people. Me included. Maybe it's because I did not titrate up and jumped straight to 30mg.

Guided_by_Voices

Raising my dose of melatonin coincided with a strange episode of low estrogen which has since resolved, however it looks like there is some evidence that melatonin reduces estrogen.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me