martial arts for seniors

Buy Lab Tests Online

DragonBits

I was kicking around the idea of signing up for a martial arts class, but I am not sure what discipline would be most suitable for seniors.

I am in reasonable good health, no joint or tendon issues, and I am 66.

I am looking for self-defense, a good workout and the discipline that a course might offer. I would like to spar with someone, though not with a 30 year old.

Any suggestions on what kinds of martial arts maybe suitable for a senior newbie?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
I have had 26 years in karate, beginning in 1990. That was before karate was watered down and became like little league with the emphasis on kids classes. The best martial art is relative to what you are looking for. If you want purely self defense, then it does not take a lot of time. The number one thing that creates self defense is a mindset and a willingness to hurt someone and give them an injury. Most people, even those who train for years, aren’t willing to get down and dirty even if it’ll save their lives. Sparring is another relative term. Karate sparring is really a game of tag. You can’t really apply karate techniques in sparring because of the gloves. True karate uses elbows, palm strikes, head butts to the nose and so on. I practice a traditional style called uechi ryu and a traditional Okinawan style is hard to find. It can take years to be able to defend yourself from martial arts training. If you want a fun activity that helps balance, focus, your mind, etc, then a martial art like karate, tai chi, or tai kwon do might suit you. If you want a vigorous workout and self defense, then MMA training is the way to go. If I was younger, that’s where I would have started. I started in 1990, way before the UFC and MMA were even a thing. I was fortunate to train in an adult only school of great people and by the time UFC 1 came along I already had some skills so I stayed. If you want a great workout and some fighting skills and your body is up to it, boxing would be a good option. A lot of clubs have developed where you engage in boxing training and do some light sparring. Any honest martial artist knows that you will fight the same way you train. On the street a boxer has an advantage, as he always spars with intensity and works to deliver all techniques full speed. In karate, you have to pull open handed techniques like eye gouges, groin strikes, and kicks.

Today I focus on bag work, close quarters techniques like elbows, head butts, and throat strikes. After close to 30 years they will hopefully be automatic response if I am scared enough to use them. I am 65 and as I get older I want to be able to defend myself and my wife. If that’s your goal, then be realistic about what art you study. If you want this for more than that, then that’s ok too. I did a lot of sports in my life- football, basketball, track, marathon running, ju jitsu, weight training- nothing was more fun and rewarding mentally than karate. Definitely find something. Go watch a few classes, observe the instructor and the people who train there. Ask yourself if these are the kinds of people you’re interested in training with minimum 3 hours per week. Just be sure to be honest with yourself when you consider the effectiveness of the self defense component.

Outcome

I was involved with karate for about 6 years, shorin ryu which is classical Okinawan karate. I really miss the training and would still participate but I live too far away now. I can’t add much to what mountain man said as his answer is pretty thorough i’d Only emphasize what he said about visiting a dojo to observe. Most any group will let you watch. You want to be comfortable with your choice as the training will be intense at times. I started when I was mid 30’s and there we’re several 40’s to 60’s and sensei’s late 60’s. I think you would benefit from it.
I don’t know much about other styles but Kung Fu may? Be less intense? I’m not sure. Maybe tai chi?

I was involved with karate for about 6 years, shorin ryu which is classical Okinawan karate. I really miss the training and would still participate but I live too far away now. I can’t add much to what mountain man said as his answer is pretty thorough i’d Only emphasize what he said about visiting a dojo to observe. Most any group will let you watch. You want to be comfortable with your choice as the training will be intense at times. I started when I was mid 30’s and there we’re several 40’s to 60’s and sensei’s late 60’s. I think you would benefit from it.
I don’t know much about other styles but Kung Fu may? Be less intense? I’m not sure. Maybe tai chi?

At age 66, Kung fu would not be bad. A lot of styles are tournament focused and have a lot of flashy moves that you see in movies, but are hard to do if you are not a kid and they really couldn’t be done in a self defense situation. I did small circle ju jitsu for a while to supplement karate when I was about 50, but that stopped when I needed hip replacement. That had a lot of falls, which might be tough at 66. Brazilian jiu jitsu is virtually all a ground game and that would be a real tough workout, but throws and falls are minimal so that might help.

I agree with Outcome. Okinwan traditional arts like shorin ryu, isshin ryu, gojo ryu, and uechi ryu are great for longevity, self discipline, and getting your mind right. The training is good, but to be honest, the real self defense aspect is harder to get unless you have some basic skills. For years I trained a bit after regular classes and worked hard to be able to implement techniques in the kata for my own self defense. Karate training teaches an array of skills, but each student has to seek out the techniques that they can actually apply in self defense outside of what goes on in a traditional class. This is what appealed to me most, and even today I work out a bit 3 days per week to perfect these techniques and keep them sharp.

mooseman109

What about krav maga. Seem rather to the point and violent with the intemt to end the fight. quicker to pick up than alot of karate

Nashtide

Good old school boxing is an incredible workout and really fun. Sparring is as close to real as an actual fight. Admittedly, boxing isn’t the best self defense art, but neither are most martial arts. If you really want to learn self defense, then Brazilian jujitsu or Krav Maga probably provide the best real life application. Or you could just do what I do and carry a gun!

DragonBits

Good summary Mountain Man

I think it's more about confidence in being able to defend myself than the actual need to. I am usually able to avoid fights by paying attention to what is going on.

In my youth I lived in some very dangerous neighborhoods on the south side of Chicago, I only got mugged once when I was about 19. I doubt a gun would have helped as I wasn't paying proper attention to my surroundings and got caught by 3 guys coming at me from the side, rear and front, with a wall blocking any escape to the other side. They didn't have any weapons so I fought them, in the scuffle they tried to drag me across the street into the projects, but they managed to rip my back pocket off my jeans with my wallet and leave. I got a minor cut on my face, the police showed up maybe 5 min later. Funny, a little kid ran up to me and gave me an steel bar, like from a window and suggested I could follow the attackers into the "projects" in Chicago. But going into the projects (high rises) is like crossing the DMZ into enemy territory. Equally funny, about 2 weeks later I got my wallet with drivers ID back in the mail labeled return address "from a soul brother".

I felt in more danger from the police, as I have had pistols draw on me 2 times by the police. Once the guy was shaking from nervous tension, which scared me. Glad I didn't sneeze, he probably would have blown me away.

I lived in the suburbs now, and it's relatively safe.

A few years ago I used to stroll around bangkok after midnight, stopped and tossed a few shots with some street guys, they were a little pushy but i took off after a more dangerous looking fellow on scooter showed up. So no problems, but maybe just lucky. Cambodia after midnight seems fairly safe, though I wouldn't want to wonder out of the tourist areas.

At first, I googled Brazilian jujitsu, but there were a lot of ads for kids classes. Being short with shorter arms, I tend to think I am at a disadvantage with boxing and do better with grappling, but searching for boxing turns up adult sites most often. Krav Maga is definitely interesting, but i wonder how often you can strike someone in sparing as the moves seem designed to cripple. In their Krav Maga video, they had a fair number of women in the class.

Most real world situations you are often faced with multiple attackers, disabling one and running away probably works well. Before you get overwhelmed.

Every site offered a free class, some 2 weeks free, even a month. So maybe it makes sense to try each of them and see how it fits me.

I am really interested in each of your experiences with martial arts, thanks for responding.

Nashtide

I was kinda joking about the gun although I do carry every day. The problem is when I’m going out and know I’m going to have a drink I can’t bring the gun. So I picked up a stun gun. This thing is the scariest piece of equipment I’ve ever seen. I think I’d rather be shot! I earned a black belt in Goju Ryu when I was in my 20’s. It was great fun but not really applicable to a real world fight. I took a self defense class about 20 years ago and learned more techniques in a month than I did in years of karate.

Outcome

I guess we have several black belts from Okinawan karate at EM, Uechi Ryu, Shorin Ryu and Gojo Ryu. Good to hear.
Dragon bits you can’t go wrong with any of these styles. Lots of fun and great work outs and they do help you focus on life in general. And a concealed weapon is always a good idea.

tersec

I was thinking of starting a MA class tomorrow myself. Strking/kickboxing non combat first hour-BJJ second hour- tues, thurs, sat.

I was thinking of starting a MA class tomorrow myself. Strking/kickboxing non combat first hour-BJJ second hour- tues, thurs, sat.

Not sure of your age, but if I were under 40 that would be where I started. In 1990 when I started karate was the only real game in town. Just do it. Put your focus on this and see where it takes you. Don’t give up your current workouts, just modify them to include the new martial art. I think every man needs to have some experience in knowing how to fight, even if it is a basic understanding.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me