Long-term testosterone supplementation augments overnight growth hormone secretion

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Even though this study used a low dose of testosterone (100 mg every two weeks of testosterone enanthate injections) in older men with low T, it showed that T supplementation can increase night time growth hormone output.

T and gh.jpg

Long-term testosterone supplementation augments overnight growth hormone secretion in healthy older men

- Endocrinology and Metabolism Published 1 September 2007 Vol. 293 no. E769-E775

Circulating testosterone (T) and GH/IGF-I are diminished in healthy aging men. Short-term administration of high doses of T augments GH secretion in older men. However, effects of long-term, low-dose T supplementation on GH secretion are unknown.

Our objective was to evaluate effects of long-term, low-dose T administration on nocturnal GH secretory dynamics and AM concentrations of IGF-I and IGFBP-3 in healthy older men (65–88 yr, n = 34) with low-normal T and IGF-I.

In a double-masked, placebo-controlled, randomized study we assessed effects of low-dose T supplementation (100 mg im every 2 wk) for 26 wk on nocturnal GH secretory dynamics [8 PM to 8 AM, Q20 min sampling, analyzed by multiparameter deconvolution and approximate entropy (ApEn) algorithms]. The results were that T administration increased serum total T by 33% (P = 0.004) and E2 by 31% (P = 0.009) and decreased SHBG by 17% (P = 0.002) vs. placebo.

T supplementation increased nocturnal integrated GH concentrations by 60% (P = 0.02) and pulsatile GH secretion by 79% (P = 0.05), primarily due to a twofold increase in GH secretory burst mass (P = 0.02) and a 1.9-fold increase in basal GH secretion rate (P = 0.05) vs. placebo. There were no significant changes in GH burst frequency or orderliness of GH release (ApEn). IGF-I levels increased by 22% (P = 0.02), with no significant change in IGFBP-3 levels after T vs. placebo.

We conclude that low-dose T supplementation for 26 wk increases spontaneous nocturnal GH secretion and morning serum IGF-I concentrations in healthy older men.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching