Lipid Panel Results

Buy Lab Tests Online
Hey guys. So I had my first lipid panel done in several years. I am 42, workout 4-5 times a week, and I eat a high protein, low carb diet. My numbers came back and my total cholesterol and LDL are very high. However, my triglycerides are pretty good, and my HDL is decent. I do suffer from low T and I am not currently on treatment. My follow up with my primary care doctor is Monday. Wanted to get some thoughts on what you guys think since my bad cholesterol is high, but my triglycerides are pretty good.

Component Results

Component

Your Value

Standard Range

Cholesterol, Total

260 mg/dL

100 - 200 mg/dL

Triglyceride

109 mg/dL

35 - 199 mg/dL

HDL (High Density Lipoprotein) Cholesterol

48.6 mg/dL

29.0 - 71.0 mg/dL

LDL Calculated

190 mg/dL

0 - 130 mg/dL

VLDL Cholesterol

22 mg/dL

mg/dL

Cholesterol/HDL Ratio

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator

Blackhawk

The more I look into it, the less I believe LDL is bad cholesterol. LDL calculated is a piss poor proxy for lipid and vascular health. What is more important is particle count and size, trigycerides and potentially trigyceride/HDL ratio, and how we can manipulate these in better proportion.

But above all of those, all of the other potential risk factors are equally or more important, especially insulin resistance, inflammation, dental health etc etc.

I second Vince's references above. I personally have gotten a lot out of Nadir Ali's presentations. Try this one:

Only my opinion. YMMV

Last edited:

davidrn

Have you had your Thyroid tests checked recently? Hypothyroidism and high total cholesterol are related. I just wrote this exact comment a week or two ago, that pre 1960, cholesterol testing was done, but not as a cardiac measure, but to discover hypothyroidism.

tropicaldaze1950

@davidrn; I was going to ask the same question. Even now, IMO, a lipid profile might be a better gauge of thyroid function. And, unfortunately, when some(or many)doctors see a skewed lipid panel, they're quick to prescribe a statin and a low sodium/low fat diet, the latter not being a 'good' recommendation.

Thanks guys. I have no intention on going on a statin. My triglycerides to HDL ratio is 2.2. 2.0 and under is in range, so I’m hardy in bad shape. I am going to ask for a full thyroid and hormone panel from my pcp. He is very open minded, so I’m sure he will agree. I know something isn’t right with a high LDL and triglycerides moderate at worst.

TucsonJJ

The more I look into it, the less I believe LDL is bad cholesterol. LDL calculated is a piss poor proxy for lipid and vascular health. What is more important is particle count and size, trigycerides and potentially trigyceride/HDL ratio, and how we can manipulate these in better proportion.

But above all of those, all of the other potential risk factors are equally or more important, especially insulin resistance, inflammation, dental health etc etc.

I second Vince's references above. I personally have gotten a lot out of Nadir Ali's presentations. Try this one:

Only my opinion. YMMV
Particle size was a hot issue for awhile... I think it has been debunked as any major factor. I sure hope so, because MY particle numbers are super high... but I had a Cardiac calcium scoring scan done a few years back... scored ZERO, which means NO calcification... so particle size, at least in my case... means nothing. And my HDL was nothing to brag on, LDL was high... until I tried Red Palm Oil 100:1 concentrate first (Swanson vitamins)... that should do it... if not, very low dose Crestor, maybe 5mg daily to start and adjust if necessary... I am not a big statin fan, but low dose is probably OK.

JohnTaylorHK

I feel rundown if I don't get enough calories. Calories are notoriously hard to keep up on a low carb diet. Making up the calories using fats requires some innovation, my favorite being whole wheat bread, spread with about 15ml of olive oil each side and then spread with a thick layer of peanut butter. Add a couple of bananas and 65gms or so of uncooked peanuts, you have yourself a tasty snack. As for the hyperlipidemia, there is a definite link with the thyroid measurements and that is probably iodine deficiency. 5 drops per day of 2% Lugol's solution was my fix for that. Hope your health improves soon. Namaste.

TucsonJJ

I feel rundown if I don't get enough calories. Calories are notoriously hard to keep up on a low carb diet. Making up the calories using fats requires some innovation, my favorite being whole wheat bread, spread with about 15ml of olive oil each side and then spread with a thick layer of peanut butter. Add a couple of bananas and 65gms or so of uncooked peanuts, you have yourself a tasty snack. As for the hyperlipidemia, there is a definite link with the thyroid measurements and that is probably iodine deficiency. 5 drops per day of 2% Lugol's solution was my fix for that. Hope your health improves soon. Namaste.
Don't mean to be negative, but most diet "Gurus" dislike whole wheat bread, unless it is sprouted grain bread... and peanuts/peanut butter is not very healthy either...
I try not to panic every time a new diet fad comes along... but avoiding the gluten and lectin heavy foods seems only wise.
Also, I still recommend that everyone thinking of supplementing iodine get their levels checked first... I did 5 drops of Lugol's for around a year, then found my thyroid was enlarged... my Endocrinologist thinks the iodine is likely responsible...

Blackhawk

Particle size was a hot issue for awhile... I think it has been debunked as any major factor. I sure hope so, because MY particle numbers are super high... but I had a Cardiac calcium scoring scan done a few years back... scored ZERO, which means NO calcification... so particle size, at least in my case... means nothing. And my HDL was nothing to brag on, LDL was high... until I tried Red Palm Oil 100:1 concentrate first (Swanson vitamins)... that should do it... if not, very low dose Crestor, maybe 5mg daily to start and adjust if necessary... I am not a big statin fan, but low dose is probably OK.

While I agree that as single predictors of CVD, particle count and small particles are not a smoking gun, they relate to pathological lipid metabolism, time of particles in circulation, clearance rate problems LDL oxidation etc. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Watch Nadir Ali's numerous videos regrding lipid metabolism, relationship of insulin, bile etc.

And a very good couple videos related to the varying risk factors start here:

Last edited:

TucsonJJ

No time now, but will watch soon, thx.
I still think INFLAMMATION is the key to CVD, although certainly there are exceptions all over...
The more I read about nattokinase, serrapeptase and lumbrokinase, the more I think they are outstanding supplements to fight against existing vascular/CVD issues... and as great preventatives...
I am using them instead of Warfarin or Eliquis to deal with my DVT... and they are working great so far (knock on wood!).

JohnTaylorHK

Don't mean to be negative, but most diet "Gurus" dislike whole wheat bread, unless it is sprouted grain bread... and peanuts/peanut butter is not very healthy either...
I try not to panic every time a new diet fad comes along... but avoiding the gluten and lectin heavy foods seems only wise.
Also, I still recommend that everyone thinking of supplementing iodine get their levels checked first... I did 5 drops of Lugol's for around a year, then found my thyroid was enlarged... my Endocrinologist thinks the iodine is likely responsible...
I agree with EVERYTHING you say here. I particular like your quoting of the word "Gurus". When governments' expert advisors screw up health advice for the general population I begin to lose faith in those recommendations. I just know what works for me. If we took all of the "Gurus" advice we would be left with very little at all that we could eat. Medical "Science" seems to have a lot of "Gurus" also, and not very many "Scientists". We only have recorded medical information for the last 3,000 years, maybe one of these days some "Gurus" and "Scientists" will get it right. Don't hold your breath. Namaste.

TucsonJJ

I agree with EVERYTHING you say here. I particular like your quoting of the word "Gurus". When governments' expert advisors screw up health advice for the general population I begin to lose faith in those recommendations. I just know what works for me. If we took all of the "Gurus" advice we would be left with very little at all that we could eat. Medical "Science" seems to have a lot of "Gurus" also, and not very many "Scientists". We only have recorded medical information for the last 3,000 years, maybe one of these days some "Gurus" and "Scientists" will get it right. Don't hold your breath. Namaste.
Doing what works for YOU is always a great idea... and you don't appear to have had any bad effects from your diet! that said, I read somewhere that today's grains, especially wheat and corn... are nothing like the healthy stuff our forebears ate... genetically modified... crossed with low-nutrient strains... etc... But... Keep on keeping on... skoal!

JohnTaylorHK

Doing what works for YOU is always a great idea... and you don't appear to have had any bad effects from your diet! that said, I read somewhere that today's grains, especially wheat and corn... are nothing like the healthy stuff our forebears ate... genetically modified... crossed with low-nutrient strains... etc... But... Keep on keeping on... skoal!
Modern agricultural methods, mainly since the introduction of chemical fertilizers in the 1950's, have been the cause of such severe mineral depletion that, for example, whole provinces of India suffer from hypothyroidism. In India, it is illegal to sell salt that does not contain potassium iodate. In Australia, bread must be made using iodized salt. The (US) National Consumer Database does not contain iodine content of most listed foods. The recommended daily intake of 150ugm of iodine (for thyroid efficiency) is covered provided the daily recommended amount of iodized salt is consumed. This disregards the other metabolic pathways that require iodine. Add to this the effects of things like boron depletion, and you have the makings of an escalating endocrinological train wreck. Of course, the body has mechanisms to balance deficiencies (recycling of phylloquinone being an interesting one), which is why SOME folks affected by iodine deficiency have enlarged thyroids (goiter), but there is a limit to those mechanisms. The emphasis remains on the individual to alleviate their own situation. Namaste.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me