Lifting weights and duration of effects on glucose metabolism?

Buy Lab Tests Online

Systemlord

I joined 24-Hour Fitness today and lifted weights today and noticed a pretty big reduction in glucose after a meal 2 hours earlier.

Normally fasting is right around 100, 2 hours after meals I'm always <180 (on higher end), but today after the workout session I was at 126, and 116 before dinner.

I want to know how long will the weight lifting session affect glucose metabolism?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Guided_by_Voices

Note that there is both a short-term and long-term affect. The short-term gets most of the attention however larger muscles generally equate to larger glycogen stores which are a big factor in glucose management, however that takes a while to achieve but is likely more important in the long run.

Systemlord

How's your eating plan and what's your cardio plan?
I eat pretty light, not to fill up but smaller meals. So high protein, low carb diet together with some healthy fats.

I get a lot of cardio at work. What's missing is strengthening and toning up. I'm natutrally skinny, tall frame with good amount of muscle for not having much gym time in my life.

I plan to go to the gym Sundays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays working a different group of muscles.

Last edited:

Fernando Almaguer

I eat pretty light, not to fill up but smaller meals. So high protein, low carb diet together with some healthy fats.

I get a lot of cardio at work. What's missing is strengthening and toning up. I'm natutrally skinny, tall frame with good amount of muscle for not having much gym time in my life.

I plan to go to the gym Sundays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays working a different group of muscles.
Glucose wants to go to the muscles first. When we excersize muscle is hungry for that glucose. Even 24 hours after working out I beleive. Having more muscle = lower overall sugar in the blood at all times. Correct me if Im wrong someone.

T

tareload

1649094637314.png

Keep doing it and add in some LISS and then eventually some HIIT if you can handle it after you've dropped some fat.

Way to go.

T

tareload

1649094849056.png

1649094957767.png

T

tareload

T

tareload

Lift weights and do some cardio. Don't drink fruit juice or each processed sources of refined sugar. Keto short to medium to term if you can keep it up. I'm not aware of long-term outcomes on keto but works great for some.

1649096256297.png

T

tareload

The triglyceride–glucose index is a more powerful surrogate marker for predicting the prevalence and incidence of type 2 diabetes mellitus than the homeostatic model assessment of insulin resistance

BigTex

I joined 24-Hour Fitness today and lifted weights today and noticed a pretty big reduction in glucose after a meal 2 hours earlier.

Normally fasting is right around 100, 2 hours after meals I'm always <180 (on higher end), but today after the workout session I was at 126, and 116 before dinner.

I want to know how long will the weight lifting session affect glucose metabolism?

Thanks.

As you understand, type II muscle fibers are very dependent on glycogen for ATP (energy) production. The glycogen we eat in the form of carbohydrates are stored in the body specifically for the use in muscles. We can store anywhere from 500 - 1200mg of glycogen in the liver and muscles. So naturally if you consume carbohydrate after you train, this will be used to replace the muscle glycogen stores.

So when we exercise, insulin levels begin to fall, the opposing hormone, glucagon, is released. Glucagon stimulates the liver to release some of its stored glycogen into the blood to maintain blood sugar levels. This continues until the glycogen store in the liver and muscle are used. This is very dependent on duration and intensity. So a very intense workout with weights for 90-90 minutes could very easily deplete glycogen stores. Of course these stores will remain depleted until you consume more carbohydrates. Most of the carbohydrate you eat after you train will quickly be converted to glycogen and stored in the muscle to refill your stores.

So hopefully to answer your question, a single bout of moderate intensity exercise can increase glucose uptake by at least 40% (1). The benefits of exercise diminish rather quickly, however, as the effects generally dissipate within 48 to 72 h of the last exercise session (2).

1. Ross R. Does Exercise Without Weight Loss Improve Insulin Sensitivity. Diabetes Care. 2003;26(3):944–45.

2. King DS, Baldus PJ, Sharp RL, Kesl LD, Feltmeyer TL, Riddle MS: Time course for exercise-induced alterations in insulin action and glucose tolerance in middle-aged people. J Appl Physiol 78:17–22, 1995

Systemlord

This is very dependent on duration and intensity. So a very intense workout with weights for 90-90 minutes could very easily deplete glycogen stores.
I took it easy as it was my first day at the gym since the start of the pandemic, I didn’t want to over do it.

I only did 20 lbs curls for 3 sets of 30 over 20 minutes. By then my muscles were starting to swell and the morning after found it difficult to straighten out.

I'll be sure to eat healthy cabs after a workout when I really start pushing it.

Thanks BigTex!

Last edited:

Fernando Almaguer

I took it easy as it was my first day at the gym since the start of the pandemic, I didn’t want to over do it.

I only did 20 lbs curls for 3 sets of 30 over 20 minutes. By then my muscles were starting to swell and the morning after found it difficult to straighten out.

I'll be sure to eat healthy cabs after a workout when I really start pushing it.

Thanks BigT
Good start! Remember to go for compound lifts as you get more bang for your buck and yes start off slow 1-2 times per week so you do not burn out.

Systemlord

I’m have trouble recovering, I was lifting weight last Wednesday and I’ve had almost constant pain in both shoulders preventing me from working out my arms.

Often time during my curls, my shoulders would get tight, even though my biceps could still keep going and was unable to finish my workout session.

It’s not muscle soreness, it’s muscle pain! everything but my shoulders have recovers within two days of the workout I can barely use, move my arms 6 days days later.

My last workout I was curling 75 lbs 10-12 reps, 4-5 sets, then transitioned to lighter weight and more reps. It felt easy and I feel I could have done higher weight initially.

Sitting here type hurts my shoulders.

Is something else going on?

What can I do to recover faster.

Thanks.

Fernando Almaguer

I’m have trouble recovering, I was lifting weight last Wednesday and I’ve had almost constant pain in both shoulders preventing me from working out my arms.

Often time during my curls, my shoulders would get tight, even though my biceps could still keep going and was unable to finish my workout session.

It’s not muscle soreness, it’s muscle pain! everything but my shoulders have recovers within two days of the workout I can barely use, move my arms 6 days days later.

My last workout I was curling 75 lbs 10-12 reps, 4-5 sets, then transitioned to lighter weight and more reps. It felt easy and I feel I could have done higher weight initially.

Thanks.
What angles are you using i wonder why it hurts shoulders, you could try an isolation machine and go completly to failure and beyond without hurting your shoulders and would be very effective.

I use redlight, sauna and ice baths for recovery. Collagen supplements, glycine too.

Guided_by_Voices

Thanks.
That sounds like an injury, not a recovery issue so going into your injury protocol makes sense. At a minimum moving the joint through every possible range of motion with a very light weight (i.e. 2.5 pounds) several times a day to get blood flow and to maintain range of motion is a good place to start, along with DMSO and heat. Search for the "Fixes for joint issues" thread.

Systemlord

What angles are you using i wonder why it hurts shoulders,
Up and down, same motion as when curling.
That sounds like an injury, not a recovery issue so going into your injury protocol makes sense.
Yes, I’ve never felt this before, it’s definitely not soreness that you get from a workout.

The muscles want to cramp up with the slightest movement. After more than a week my shoulder blades are starting to act up.

BigTex

Thanks.
This sound like it is it is far from DOMS and could be an injury. I would suggest that you go see a sport medicine doctor that specializes in upper extremity injuries. The long and short head of the biceps insets under the shoulder area. So an injury in the insertion could radiate pain not only in the biceps but shoulder area.

Systemlord

This sound like it is it is far from DOMS and could be an injury.
I woke up last night to pee, twice and both times right as I’m urinating, the muscle pain returned out of nowhere. I think it’s the alpha blocker causing these issues, so I’ve stopped and will report back.

I also have developed dry eyes, my sister told me my eye blinking is too fast.

Eating food gets rid of these symptoms.

Systemlord

I think the muscle pain was from the creatine supplement. I stopped it today and pain is starting to subside. This happened mid week when I forgot to take my creative.

Maybe I need to restart creatine every other day. I don’t want to stop it completely.

I read that when you take creatine supplements, you need to drink lots of water.

I had a bunch of tests, bun was 19, flagged high, but I think the alpha blocker was causing more urination. Creatine was normal, .9 <1.30.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me