Lifting and Weight Gain on TRT (26 Years Old/165 lbs)

Buy Lab Tests Online

placebo398

Hi All,

TLDR and protocol at the bottom!

I will be starting TRT tomorrow when my prescription arrives.
I am an avid lifter and have been consistently working out and dieting for the past five years or so. Including tracking meals calories and macros down to the T.
I am about to start a bulking phase, at a moderate rate of around 200 calorie surplus per day, which for me would be at around 2700 calories.

Now being as persistent/cognizant of my weight tracking (albeit sometimes obsessively) I am curious as to how my weight may increase just due to the fact that I am starting TRT.
Now my levels are extremely low, below 200ng/dl. I am not sure of what to expect in regards to my weight and strength changes.

What have you guys experienced in terms of weight gain from just TRT alone? I am nervous because I am trying to slowly gain solid lean mass with meticulous calorie and macronutrient tracking.

Not sure how introducing the aspect of TRT will play into this. I am sure there will be an almost immediate increase due to water retention and increased glycogen storage from the increase in testosterone and estrogen.
Any advice or tips? Should I just stick with my goal and macros of 2700 calories for the first few weeks and then start tracking again?

That way I don’t see a huge increase in weight from TRT and think its fat/unwanted mass gain?
Currently, I am around 165 lbs and am running a 5-day per week workout routine and have maintained my weight, and maybe even lost a little bit eating 2500 calories per day.

So as you can probably tell, the fat gain for me is a big worry which is why I want to start with a very low surplus and go from there.
Just not sure what to expect with starting this mass-gaining phase at essentially the exact same time as starting TRT and how that will play into weight gain and tracking.

TLDR: 26 Years old, 165lbs, 5 years lifting, starting TRT and bulking tomorrow - how can I expect to see my weight change off the start? How to adapt tracking?

Appreciate any advice!

Protocol:
Test C: 200mg/ml - 0.32mL IM/SQ twice weekly
HCG 500iu SQ twice weekly to prevent testicular atrophy
No Ai - low E2, monitor
DHEA 25mg every night
Labs:
Test, Serum: 171 (264 - 916)
Free Test: 5.1 (9.3 - 26.5)
DHEA Sulfate: 169.7 (135.5 - 475.2)
TSH: 3.6 (0.450 - 4.500)
LH: 1.7 (1.7 - 8.6)
Prolactin: 13.6 (4.0 - 15.2)
IGF-1: 185 (98 - 282)
Estradiol Sensitive: 4.0 (8.0 - 35.0)
SHBG: 27.2 (16.5 - 55.9)
Have some other test results as well if anyone is interested, figured these are the most important/relevant.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
When I first started trt I did notice an increase in hunger, so I did gain a few pounds after starting. But after a short time I got my appetite under control again, so weight is not an issue.

placebo398

When I first started trt I did notice an increase in hunger, so I did gain a few pounds after starting. But after a short time I got my appetite under control again, so weight is not an issue.

Should I be worried about my high TSH at all? Doc is supposed to test again at my follow-up in three months but just not sure about that result and what I should do about it.

placebo398

If your TSH is high, you should do a full thyroid panel. Hypothyroidism can and will lead to wright gain.

Would I have already experienced this weight gain before TRT? I have been keeping a close eye on my weight and caloric intake and feel like I have a pretty good handle on that. Would TRT change things?

M

MarkM

Should I be worried about my high TSH at all? Doc is supposed to test again at my follow-up in three months but just not sure about that result and what I should do about it.

Yes, your TSH is too high. When your run your next labs you should get a full thyroid panel done which would include the following: TSH, Free T3, Free T4, Reverse T3, and both Thyroid Antibodies (TPOab and TgAB). I would also test your iron and ferritin levels. If they are real low your thyroid won't function properly.

BigBamBoo

I am not really sure. You will have to wait for others with more knowledge than me to answer.

From what I have read prior to starting TRT myself, is that thyroid issues can give similar symptoms as low T.

And that not having a good functioning thyroid can make getting your TRT dialed in more difficult.

placebo398

Yes, your TSH is too high. When your run your next labs you should get a full thyroid panel done which would include the following: TSH, Free T3, Free T4, Reverse T3, and both Thyroid Antibodies (TPOab and TgAB). I would also test your iron and ferritin levels. If they are real low your thyroid won't function properly.

How does TRT play into the thyroid levels and functioning? Or is it just another factor that can lead to symptoms of low t? Would iodine supplementation help?

M

MarkM

.........From what I have read prior to starting TRT myself, is that thyroid issues can give similar symptoms as low T.

And that not having a good functioning thyroid can make getting your TRT dialed in more difficult.

Big is right, if the thyroid is not functioning properly it can give an individual low T symptoms and sometimes the thyroid can be difficult to get optimized.

M

MarkM

How does TRT play into the thyroid levels and functioning? Or is it just another factor that can lead to symptoms of low t? Would iodine supplementation help?

They are two different areas of concern but many with low T also have a hormone deficiency with their thyroid. Depending on where your thyroid labs come in, and there are a couple of hormones involved, iodine can help, as well as selenium, L-Tyrosine, and Zinc Picolinate.

If your iron and ferritin are low it will make optimizing your thyroid more difficult, if not impossible, so you might need to supplement with a good iron supplement. However, you don't want to supplement with too much iron. Iron is found in the red blood cells of your blood called hemoglobin and too much iron can make your blood have a higher viscosity (thicker) and raise your hematocrit levels.

placebo398

They are two different areas of concern but many with low T also have a hormone deficiency with their thyroid. Depending on where your thyroid labs come in, and there are a couple of hormones involved, iodine can help, as well as selenium, L-Tyrosine, and Zinc Picolinate.

If your iron and ferritin are low it will make optimizing your thyroid more difficult, if not impossible, so you might need to supplement with a good iron supplement. However, you don't want to supplement with too much iron. Iron is found in the red blood cells of your blood called hemoglobin and too much iron can make your blood have a higher viscosity (thicker) and raise your hematocrit levels.

Would there be no point in supplementing iodine without getting the full thyroid panel first?

M

MarkM

I don't think so. If you are taking a multi-vitamin that should hold you over until you have your consult and get thyroid panel. I take a multi-vitamin that has 150 mcg of Iodine. One doesn't need a lot of Iodine but you need it for your thyroid to act right.

placebo398

I don't think so. If you are taking a multi-vitamin that should hold you over until you have your consult and get thyroid panel. I take a multi-vitamin that has 150 mcg of Iodine. One doesn't need a lot of Iodine but you need it for your thyroid to act right.

I do in fact take a men's multivitamin and have been for the past few years. Will have to check the iodine content. Any other recommendations until I can get labs again since it won't be for ~3 months?

M

MarkM

Looks like you are paying attention, in detail, to what you are eating. Good exercise ( I see you are lifting) with some cardio mixed in and good sleep patterns. Sleep is under-rated by many but crucial. Being a lifter I am sure you already understand that.

placebo398

Looks like you are paying attention, in detail, to what you are eating. Good exercise ( I see you are lifting) with some cardio mixed in and good sleep patterns. Sleep is under-rated by many but crucial. Being a lifter I am sure you already understand that.

Turns out my multivitamin doesn't contain any iodine but does have 110mcg of selenium. Should I look for a different one or straight iodine supplement?

M

MarkM

If you supplement with iodine I would take the smallest amount you can find. RDA is about 150 mcg and the upper limit is about 1,000 mcg which is really a lot. Too much iodine can inflame the thyroid so be careful with it. Try to find 100 to 200 mcg.

M

MarkM

I meant to mention yesterday that you can get good amounts of selenium from brazil nuts.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me