Levothyroxine kicking in in the evenings

Buy Lab Tests Online

trtthings

Hi guys,

I've begun Levothyroxine treatment since last Friday, 50mcg a day, taken in the morning.

I'm finding that it functions in a way that I didn't expect. I take it in the morning and around 10h later I'm awake like I haven't been for years. This is the effect I was hoping to get from TRT. But why would it kick in so late?

As far as I can tell the half-life is 7 days which should provide relatively stable levels. I'd think the effect would be more even but it's kicking in around 5-6 PM. Until then I'm maybe slightly better but that's when I become 100% and that lasts until I fall asleep.

Any input? @Cataceous @Vince

All I can think of.. is something weird with the liver randomly converting a large batch of T4 to T3 late in the day. It doesn't make much sense.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
Hi guys,

I've begun Levothyroxine treatment since last Friday, 50mcg a day, taken in the morning.

I'm finding that it functions in a way that I didn't expect. I take it in the morning and around 10h later I'm awake like I haven't been for years. This is the effect I was hoping to get from TRT. But why would it kick in so late?

As far as I can tell the half-life is 7 days which should provide relatively stable levels. I'd think the effect would be more even but it's kicking in around 5-6 PM. Until then I'm maybe slightly better but that's when I become 100% and that lasts until I fall asleep.

All I can think of.. is something weird with the liver randomly converting a large batch of T4 to T3 late in the day. It doesn't make much sense.
I’m surprised at the results you’re getting. It will be interesting to see your labs. I usually wait 12 weeks, when I do a testosterone or thyroid protocol adjustment.

i’m happy it’s working so well for you, hopefully it will continue.

JA Battle

As a first step I would make sure you are eating enough. Increasing thyroid hormones without enough fuel can increase stress hormone and catecholamine secretion.

trtthings

Been thinking this over back and forth.

I think the following theory makes sense:

@Cataceous @Vince

As we've seen in euthyroid subjects, the levels of T4 are relatively stable whereas TSH and T3 have a diurnal rhythm. FT3 following TSH by maybe 90 minutes, as if TSH is driving the T4 -> T3 conversion with little effect on T4.

There's a negative feedback with TSH, much like testosterone/estradiol and LH. So you supplement with Levothyroxine, it reaches the peak in the serum within 3 hours (although T4 levels are relatively stable). It's not unreasonable to think that this would cause some suppression and thus suppress the TSH mediated T4 -> T3 conversion for the next few (many) hours.

I feel the effects in the evening, so it's not unreasonable to think that by then I might have been getting some TSH and then T4 -> T3 conversion.

I've also read many stories by thyroid patients who were tired all day until they switched to an evening intake of T4. It seems counter-intuitive at first with the relatively stable levels of T4 (given the 1-week half life). But I'm still guessing it matters, at least for some.

I tried this myself now.. all the days I took 50mcg in the morning I started feeling it after around 10 hours. I tried one day with 75mcg in the morning and the onset was slightly later. Then I tried 75mcg in the evening and I started feeling the effect/being more awake/feeling better around noon the next day.

Doesn't really matter if I'm right or wrong as long as the end result is that I'm feeling better.

However I think this probably partially explains why some thyroid associations recommend/say patients often don't feel good until they have T4 levels high in the range or just outside of the normal range. I think the TSH suppression, firstly.. it suppresses the T3 secreted from the thyroid. If I recall this is thought to be about 20% of the total T3. And secondly it may be suppressing this T4 -> T3 conversion by suppressing TSH.

Vince

Super Moderator
Been thinking this over back and forth.

I think the following theory makes sense:

@Cataceous @Vince

As we've seen in euthyroid subjects, the levels of T4 are relatively stable whereas TSH and T3 have a diurnal rhythm. FT3 following TSH by maybe 90 minutes, as if TSH is driving the T4 -> T3 conversion with little effect on T4.

There's a negative feedback with TSH, much like testosterone/estradiol and LH. So you supplement with Levothyroxine, it reaches the peak in the serum within 3 hours (although T4 levels are relatively stable). It's not unreasonable to think that this would cause some suppression and thus suppress the TSH mediated T4 -> T3 conversion for the next few (many) hours.

I feel the effects in the evening, so it's not unreasonable to think that by then I might have been getting some TSH and then T4 -> T3 conversion.

I've also read many stories by thyroid patients who were tired all day until they switched to an evening intake of T4. It seems counter-intuitive at first with the relatively stable levels of T4 (given the 1-week half life). But I'm still guessing it matters, at least for some.

I tried this myself now.. all the days I took 50mcg in the morning I started feeling it after around 10 hours. I tried one day with 75mcg in the morning and the onset was slightly later. Then I tried 75mcg in the evening and I started feeling the effect/being more awake/feeling better around noon the next day.

Doesn't really matter if I'm right or wrong as long as the end result is that I'm feeling better.

However I think this probably partially explains why some thyroid associations recommend/say patients often don't feel good until they have T4 levels high in the range or just outside of the normal range. I think the TSH suppression, firstly.. it suppresses the T3 secreted from the thyroid. If I recall this is thought to be about 20% of the total T3. And secondly it may be suppressing this T4 -> T3 conversion by suppressing TSH.
But of course that’s not the case for everyone. Some people have a hard time converting T4 into FT3, like me. So I seem to do better on the lower dose of T4 and supplement with T3 twice a day.

trtthings

But of course that’s not the case for everyone. Some people have a hard time converting T4 into FT3, like me. So I seem to do better on the lower dose of T4 and supplement with T3 twice a day.

I really think it's the same for me, i.e. I'd do better with T3 in the morning / afternoon.

Fortunate

Hi guys,

I have noticed a very similar experience, but with sustained release T3. As instructed, I take it first thing when I get up in the morning. I generally don't feel much of anything until late afternoon, early evening, when I feel tons of energy. I assumed it was because it is a sustained release formulation, but don't really know.

It would really be more useful to me if I had those energy levels earlier in the day. I suppose I could take it at night, but that is not how I was advised. Another option is to try a standard formulation that is not sustained release? Anyone notice similar experiences? Any thoughts on sustained release vs. standard vs. altering taking meds at different time of day?

Fortunate

Looking back, I may have been tracking two different things. Around the time I was on T3, I had also started a new testosterone cream protocol. I went off T3 a while back. Once I get on a consistent testosterone protocol, I would consider trying T3 again, but only if symptoms warrant it.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me