LDL particle size isn't that helpful in predicting CHD (coronary heart disease).

Buy Lab Tests Online

Vince

Super Moderator
The major lipoprotein types, very low-density lipoprotein (VLDL), low-density lipoprotein (LDL), and high-density lipoprotein (HDL), are composed of many subgroups (1–3). Classifications are based on size (1), density, or apolipoprotein (apo) content (2), or a combination of these (3), and the subfractions that are isolated have distinct metabolic and other functional properties. Thus, it is entirely reasonable to think that subfractions of the major lipoproteins have diverse relationships to coronary heart disease (CHD). Because the classical lipid risk factors by no means perfectly predict CHD in patients, lipoprotein subfractionation has the potential to improve risk prediction.

Low-Density Lipoprotein Size and Cardiovascular Disease: A Reappraisal

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Golfboy307

Vince,

Thanks for posting this article. I watch my cardio risk factors closely due to family history on my father's side. My over cholesterol numbers are great, but my LDL size trends small (Type B pattern). Credit my Body Logic doctor, he said that I shouldn't worry too much because so much else effects CV disease: insulin resistance, inflammation, clotting, BP etc. Plus LDL size has a heavy genetic influence.

This gave me some relief not to focus too much on this one factor.

Vince

Super Moderator
Vince,

Thanks for posting this article. I watch my cardio risk factors closely due to family history on my father's side. My over cholesterol numbers are great, but my LDL size trends small (Type B pattern). Credit my Body Logic doctor, he said that I shouldn't worry too much because so much else effects CV disease: insulin resistance, inflammation, clotting, BP etc. Plus LDL size has a heavy genetic influence.

I'm also like you, type b pattern. Even though my overall cholesterol numbers look great, I'm always concerned about my particle size.

Vanbooring

Many people freak out when it comes to their LDL so this research comes handy in such cases. Anyhow - 80% of the cholesterol in our body is produced by the liver so genetic-predisposition matters a lot here.

Vince,

Indeed, there are plenty of risk factors to keep an eye on. Even a sedentary lifestyle might have detrimental effects on one's cardiovascular system.

Rot-Iron66

I suggest those w/ familial issues get a Coronary Calcium scan done. My Dad and some of his siblings all died in the 40's from heart disease. I just got a scan, and it doesn't look good. (Lifting for 40 years, never smoked, never did anabolics (until TRT 3 years back) always ate super-clean, etc.) cant out work genetics when its in the cards for you. Cardio is now my priority over weights (of course I still weight train, heart muscle comes 1st though) and will be working with cardiologist starting this month to see my options (angiogram, stents, etc). Like everything I do, I will attack and be the best around at cardiac rehab.

mooseman109

Similar situation here. 56 and had a MI on april 15 this year. Labs always good, work out 4-5days per week walk 7-10,000 steps a day at work. I did eat red meat 3 times a week, though always wild game. Pepperoni and lunch meat were bad. Dad had several heart attacks in his 50's to 60's. So like you I do more cardio, which I hate, and eat better and now BP meds and a statin

I suggest those w/ familial issues get a Coronary Calcium scan done. My Dad and some of his siblings all died in the 40's from heart disease. I just got a scan, and it doesn't look good. (Lifting for 40 years, never smoked, never did anabolics (until TRT 3 years back) always ate super-clean, etc.) cant out work genetics when its in the cards for you. Cardio is now my priority over weights (of course I still weight train, heart muscle comes 1st though) and will be working with cardiologist starting this month to see my options (angiogram, stents, etc). Like everything I do, I will attack and be the best around at cardiac rehab.

Rot-Iron66

Yup, always disliked cardio, now I look at it in a new light. Im back on a statin as well after getting myself off of them using natural stuff (niacin, citris bergamot, red yeast rice) my bloods are always perfect, that's who its hard to know whats inside, until getting a scan done. The scans can be a life-saver... All the best to you Mooseman..

Joe Sixpack

Yup, always disliked cardio, now I look at it in a new light. Im back on a statin as well after getting myself off of them using natural stuff (niacin, citris bergamot, red yeast rice) my bloods are always perfect, that's who its hard to know whats inside, until getting a scan done. The scans can be a life-saver... All the best to you Mooseman..
If you don't mind sharing, what was your CAC score?

Joe Sixpack

500... "Interventional Cardiology" now in progress...
Yep. That's pretty high. The calcium scan is a phenomenal tool. So many people who have perfect cholesterol scores and lean, well muscled bodies turn out to have significant calcium buildup and are well on their way to a heart attack without knowing it. And the doctors look at their cholesterol labs and say "oh you're fine, carry on". But the scan shows that they are not fine. This is my situation too.

Vanbooring

In light of what you mentioned about heart disease and taking it more lightly in the gym (i.e. going for cardio), the words of a professor of endocrinology I know came into mind.

Basically, he's totally against weight lifting because according to his words it wears the heart out, literally.

So you're strengthening your muscles at the expense of the most valuable one - your heart. But there are numerous studies that highlight the various health benefits of lifting weights so there you go...

Joe Sixpack

In light of what you mentioned about heart disease and taking it more lightly in the gym (i.e. going for cardio), the words of a professor of endocrinology I know came into mind.

Basically, he's totally against weight lifting because according to his words it wears the heart out, literally.
I don't understand the professor's thinking. I would think that cardio workouts would require more blood pumping than weights and thus wear the heart out more. On a hard run, my heart rate gets up to 150 and higher for minutes at a time. I rarely get that much heart activity when lifting.

Vanbooring

I don't understand the professor's thinking. I would think that cardio workouts would require more blood pumping than weights and thus wear the heart out more. On a hard run, my heart rate gets up to 150 and higher for minutes at a time. I rarely get that much heart activity when lifting.

I don't get it either. But I assume he meant lifting heavy weights with high intensity i.e. shorter rest periods between sets.

Still, having a higher heart rate for a few minutes or so seems like revving your car's engine hard for the same time frame. Although that's a weird analogy since we're not machines but from a logical standpoint the professor might have a point.

Although I think that the pros far outweigh the cons when it comes to weightlifting, especially the strengthening of the bones, which is essential for evading the dreaded osteoporosis as we get older.

Golfboy307

I am a life long runner, and I have heard doctors use the exact same phrase about running: you will "wear" out your heart. BS! Cardio is effective at strengthening the muscle, which leads to more efficient blood flow, which causes the heart to work less over the long term. I would think the same is true for strength training, but just to a lesser extent. Neither form necessarily protects you from plaque buildup directly, but has many indirect benefits as we know. We also now know that excessive cardio (think ultra marathoners) can hurt your CV profile: enlarged heart, more plaque build up. More isn't always better when it comes to exercise.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me