Latest Update on Metformin

Buy Lab Tests Online

Davie72

There is a link between carbs and fructose and the worst kind of LDL (the kind that is bad for you, there is 2 types). so it would make sense that metformin would improve your LDL since it changes your insulin sensitivity (im assuming it lowers the bad ones) Its not too expensive here is where I recommend generic metformin http://trustedallovertheworld.com/

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Holden

I stopped Metformin last week. I kept losing weight even as I ate the same amounts of food. Lost 18 pounds (muscle and fat) in 3 months. I want to regain some muscle again!

May 15, 2017 Update:

I restarted Metformin a month ago since I missed how well my gut felt on it. I decided to stay on it for life.

Thanks for the update Nelson. How have the past few months gone so far? Curious if you're using regular HCL or XR extended release, and what dosage? I'm about to begin using Metformin.

The TAME study is using regular (not extended release), is that correct? 850mg twice daily?

Leesto

May 15, 2017 Update:

I restarted Metformin a month ago since I missed how well my gut felt on it. I decided to stay on it for life.

I am in the same boat: on it for life! I notice the benefits but no negatives that I can detect. My weight seems to stay steady and gut feels good.

Leesto

OMI100

Metformin and Prostate Cancer: a New Role for an Old Drug
[h=3]Summary[/b]While the body of evidence to support a role for metformin in prostate cancer therapy is rapidly growing, there is still insufficient data from randomised trials, which are currently still ongoing. However, evidence so far suggests metformin could be a useful adjuvant agent, particularly in patients on ADT.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5405102/

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Thanks for the update Nelson. How have the past few months gone so far? Curious if you're using regular HCL or XR extended release, and what dosage? I'm about to begin using Metformin.

The TAME study is using regular (not extended release), is that correct? 850mg twice daily?

I am using 500 mg of the regular formula twice per day. Yes, the TAME study uses 850 mg twice per day. I have not increased my dose to that amount and not planning to.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
The Relationship Between Metformin and Serum Prostate-Specific Antigen Levels.

Jayalath VH, et al. Prostate. 2016.
Authors
Jayalath VH1,2,3, Ireland C1,2, Fleshner NE3,4, Hamilton RJ3,4, Jenkins DJ5,6,7,8.
Author information
1Clinical Nutrition and Risk Factor Modification Center, St. Michael's Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
2Department of Nutritional Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
3Department of Surgical Oncology-Urology, Princess Margaret Cancer Center, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
4Department of Surgery-Urology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
5Clinical Nutrition and Risk Factor Modification Center, St. Michael's Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
6Department of Nutritional Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
7Department of Surgical Oncology-Urology, Princess Margaret Cancer Center, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
8Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute of St. Michael's Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Prostate. 2016 Nov;76(15):1445-53. doi: 10.1002/pros.23228. Epub 2016 Jul 12.

Abstract
BACKGROUND: Metformin is the first-line oral antihyperglycemic of choice for individuals with type 2 diabetes. Recent evidence supports a role for metformin in prostate cancer chemoprotection. However, whether metformin indeed influences prostate biology is unknown. We aimed to study the association between metformin and serum prostate-specific antigen (PSA) levels-the primary prostate cancer biomarker.

METHODS: We conducted a cross-sectional study of 326 prostate cancer-free men with type 2 diabetes were recruited between 2004 and 2013 at St. Michael's Hospital. Men were excluded if they had a PSA ≥10-ng/ml, or used >2,550-mg/d metformin or supplemental androgens. Multivariate linear regressions quantified the association between metformin dose and log-PSA. Secondary analyses quantified the association between other antihyperglycemics (sulfonylureas, thiazolidinediones) and PSA; sensitivity analyses tested covariate interactions.

RESULTS: Median PSA was 0.9-ng/ml (IQR: 0.5-1.6-ng/ml). Metformin dose associated positively with BMI, HbA1c, diabetes duration, and number of statin, acetylsalicylic acid, diuretic users, and number of antihyperglycemics used, and negatively with LDL-C. In multivariate models, PSA changed by -8% (95%CI: -13 to -2%, P = 0.011) per 500-mg/d increase in metformin. Men with diabetes for ≥6 years (n = 163) saw a greater difference in PSA per 500-mg/d metformin (-12% [95% CI: -19 to -4%, P = 0.002], P-interaction = 0.018). Serum PSA did not relate with sulfonylureas, thiazolidinediones, or total number of antihyperglycemic agents used. Our findings are limited by the cross-sectional design of this study.

CONCLUSIONS: Metformin dose-dependently inversely associated with serum PSA, independent of other antihyperglycemic medications. Whether metformin confers a dose-dependent benefit on prostate tumorigenesis and progression warrants investigation. Prostate 76:1445-1453, 2016.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Warning:

Metformin decreases B-12 and citrulline. Supplement both!

It also decreases testosterone in men not on TRT. It decreases IGF-1 also.

I lost weight but also some muscle and the some of the "pump" at the gym.

The most striking and unexpected thing for me was the improvement in my bloating and irritable bowel syndrome. This is counterintuitive since diarrhea may be experienced in some people on metformin. I take a low dose of 500 mg twice per day with food (I had normal blood sugar to start with). The biggest antiaging study in history is using 850 mg twice per day. Not sure if I will attempt to go up in dose.

I started supplementing 5000 mg per day of citrulline and the pump is back but my bloat is slightly back at about 50% of what it used to be prior to metformin.

JPB

Warning:

Nelson, I was wondering if you could point me at any studies where Metformin lowers T levels in men. Most of what I find indicates Metformin as a positive for sexual function and T levels for T2D men, whereas for PCOS women it does lower androgen levels, both of which are respectively good.

Warning:

The most striking and unexpected thing for me was the improvement in my bloating and irritable bowel syndrome. This is counterintuitive since diarrhea may be experienced in some people on metformin. I take a low dose of 500 mg twice per day with food (I had normal blood sugar to start with). The biggest antiaging study in history is using 850 mg twice per day. Not sure if I will attempt to go up in dose.

I started supplementing 5000 mg per day of citrulline and the pump is back but my bloat is slightly back at about 50% of what it used to be prior to metformin.

Nelson,
What do you attribute the bloat coming back to?

rhino5169

Warning:

Are you saying half the bloat is back because of the citrulline?

Warning:

Metformin decreases B-12 and citrullineSupplement both!

Nelson, And when you say bloat do you mean stomach bloating or water/puffiness in the face and other areas?

Saxon

I'm still somewhat suspicious about metformin although I take 1000mg daily because of type 2 diabetes. The good news on metformin and statins never ends. I can't help but feel that big pharma is behind all this never ending great news on both these drugs and this is what big pharma does. If big pharma had it their way everyone would be taking them daily.

Ive been on metformin for 5 years and I too suffered from gastro discomfort etc. So I started taking it when I went to bed and nearly all the symptoms disappeared.

For what it's worth, Statins were patented version of Red Yeast Rice and work about the same as the "natural" version. Metformin has been off patent for 70+ years and literally costs the patient nothing as in, you can get a prescription for Metformin and take it to Publix and they will literally give you the drug for free. Maybe that's the catch but normally when Bog Pharma wants to push a product, they at least get paid for it. Any pharma company can make Metformin.

Why not just skip the Citrulinne then or lower dosage?

Warning:

It's partially back, yes.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
A new HIV related study with Metformin currently enrolling.

Anti-HIV drugs cut down the number of serious infections that people with HIV get. However, some subjects taking anti-HIV drugs do not achieve adequate cluster of differentiation 4 (CD4) recovery and decrease in elevated cluster of differentiation 8 (CD8) cells. Such patients with a low CD4/CD8 ratio remain at risk for developing acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and non-AIDS-related complications. Two of the most important factors associated with low CD4/CD8 ratio include: the persistence of HIV on ART and inflammation.

Metformin, the most widely used medication to treat type 2 diabetes, is well tolerated with minimal side effects. It has been linked to anti-aging and weight reducing properties in non-diabetic persons. Because of its ability to improve immune functions, metformin could be a promising addition to ART in HIV patients. It is also reported to change the composition of microbes in the gut which may improve inflammation.

PURPOSES OF THE STUDY

The purposes of this study are to find out if:

1. metformin can be combined with anti-HIV drugs to reduce the amount of hidden virus in the body;
  2. metformin can be combined with anti-HIV drugs to improve immune function.
  3. metformin can be combined with anti-HIV drugs to impact CD4 T cell count and CD4/CD8 T cell ratio during treatment and after its discontinuation
  4. metformin can change the composition of the bacteria in the gut which may improve inflammation.
For this purpose, the investigators will add metformin at the usual antidiabetic dose for 12 weeks for patients receiving stable ART, having a CD4/CD8 ratio below 0.7.
Approximately 22 participants will be enrolled in this study at the Chronic Viral Illness Service of the McGill University Health Centre, the Ottawa Hospital and the Maple Leaf Medical Clinic (Toronto). This study will last about 24 weeks; metformin treatment will be for 12 weeks. In order to be eligible for the study, the participants must be 18 years of age or older, have an undetectable viral load (the quantity of the HIV virus in the blood must be less than 50 copies/ml) for at least 3 months and have a CD4/CD8 ratio of less than 0.7. All participants will also be asked to give blood and stool samples and optional colon mucosal biopsy samples (before and after metformin supplementation) to study the size of the viral reservoir and the amount of T cell activation and changes in gut microbiota composition.

Metformin Immunotherapy in HIV Infection - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Love Affair With Metformin: Still Strong, or Time to Move On?
.... "at $4 a month," it's hard to argue with the economics, she noted.

Newer drugs that have shown benefit in cardiovascular outcomes trials include the SGLT-2 inhibitors empagliflozin (Jardiance, Boehringer Ingelheim) in EMPA-REG OUTCOME and canagliflozin (Invokana, Johnson & Johnson) in CANVAS, and the GLP-1 agonists liraglutide (Victoza, Novo Nordisk) in LEADER and semaglutide (Ozempic, Novo Nordisk) in SUSTAIN-6.

But these studies were mainly conducted in patients with high-risk type 2 diabetes who had a long duration of disease and already had cardiovascular disease (CVD) or a number of risk factors for it.

"So these data do not directly translate to 87% of our population," requiring first-line therapy for type 2 diabetes, Aroda argued.

She also pointed to safety, acknowledging, "We all know the potential for gastrointestinal disturbances with metformin and B12 deficiency," but this pales in comparison to the numerous safety warnings issued for newer drugs over the past few years, she said."

..."metformin does not address many of the core pathophysiologies of type 2 diabetes, she argued, and secondly, "you do not improve metabolic parameters as well as other [drugs] can." Although metformin lowers HbA1c, it is fairly neutral when it comes to any benefits on weight, blood pressure, and lipids, for example."

Source

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching