Lactoferrin: A Broad Spectrum Anti-Viral Peptide

Buy Lab Tests Online

Will Brink

As COVID-19 is the current topic, I have condensed and updated my lactoferrin discussion specific to anti-viral effects of lactoferrin:

20 years ago (how time flies!) I wrote about the impressive anti-viral, anti microbial, anti caner, immune supporting effects of lactoferrin via Life Extension Magazine (also published on BrinkZone of course) as well as a follow up article with additional data further supporting the wide array of benefits of this minor peptide found in whey.

Considering recent events concerning the COVID-19 (carnovirus) virus, I thought an updated discussion on the anti viral effects of lactoferrin might be of value. Will taking lactoferrin supplements help prevent or management symptoms of this virus? There’s no data specific to COVID-19, but lactoferrin appears to have broad spectrum anti viral immune supporting effects. I strongly suspect that lactoferrin would make an effective adjuvant therapy with other natural anti-viral approaches and medications. For more details, read the articles linked above also. My original article, regarding lactoferrin as an anti-viral peptide, I wrote:

Lactoferrin has been found to both directly and indirectly inhibit several viruses that cause disease in humans. It directly inhibits viruses by binding to viral receptor sites, thus preventing the virus from infecting healthy cells. For example, in vitro studies have found that lactoferrin strongly binds to the V3 loop of the gp120 receptor on HIV-1 and HIV-2, resulting in inhibition of virus-cell fusion and entry of the virus into cells.10 In addition, lactoferrin indirectly kills or inhibits viruses by augmenting the systemic immune response to a viral invasion. It’s interesting to note that there is a systemic deficiency of lactoferrin in people with HIV infection. One study that examined 22 asymptomatic and 45 symptomatic patients with HIV compared to 30 healthy controls found that “levels of plasma lactoferrin are decreased in HIV-1 infected patients in relation to the progression of the disease.”6 Another study found that the lack of lactoferrin (and secretory Iga) found in the oral cavities of people with HIV correlated strongly with the frequent infections in those areas often seen with patients with AIDS.11 Lactoferrin was also found to have “potent” anti-viral effects against the replication of both human HIV and cytomegalovirus (CMV) virus in several in vitro studies with no cytopathic effects on healthy cells.

Cont:

Lactoferrin: A Broad Spectrum Anti-Viral | BrinkZone.com

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor
Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com