Labcorp vs hematologist HCT numbers

Buy Lab Tests Online

Bubbs

My hematologist has been measuring my HCT ever week since ND pushed it up to 60, after 2 full donations I dropped back down to 47 which was great. His office does the CBC test in house and claims 100% accuracy (as they should given their specialty)

However I had bloodwork done at labcorp for my TRT doc last week and the HCT number came back 10 points higher than the hematologist! That had me very confused until I went back to the hemo today and they reconfirmed that I'm in the 40s not 57 as labcorp claimed

If anything I was more dehydrated for the hematologist since I drink a ton of water for my trt labs to minimize nonsense about creatinine egfr, so I'm confused, is it normal for labs to vary so much??

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

mooseman109

My hematologist has been measuring my HCT ever week since ND pushed it up to 60, after 2 full donations I dropped back down to 47 which was great. His office does the CBC test in house and claims 100% accuracy (as they should given their specialty)

However I had bloodwork done at labcorp for my TRT doc last week and the HCT number came back 10 points higher than the hematologist! That had me very confused until I went back to the hemo today and they reconfirmed that I'm in the 40s not 57 as labcorp claimed

If anything I was more dehydrated for the hematologist since I drink a ton of water for my trt labs to minimize nonsense about creatinine egfr, so I'm confused, is it normal for labs to vary so much??

mooseman109

I am not sure which one would be more accurat. That is a big difference. What I can comment on is a drop from 60 to 47 after 2 blood donations. I donate 500 cc and if i drop 3 points that is alot. I use labcorp. So a 13 point drop pver 2 donations seems peculiar to me. Not doubting, just kinda shocked and jealous

Bubbs

Here's the last from the hematologist, down 5 points on the 2nd donation

They insist they are accurate so I'm going to get my primary care doc to do another stick tomorrow

Attachments

• 20210127_162120.jpg
    20210127_162120.jpg
    888.6 KB · Views: 62

maxadvance

interesting, while you're there ask about your RDW, normal range for men is 11,6 - 14.5, not 15. The higher the number the larger the difference in size of your red blood cells, my last reading showed 12.6. The higher the number is also an indicator that something else might be off.

Bubbs

RDW goes up after donations, I gave blood twice in 2 weeks so I expect it to be elevated

My ferritin is what worries me and they didn't test that :(

Outcome

The trend I’ve noticed is the blood donation center I use (gulf coast regional blood center which are very good by the way) is always a few points lower with the finger prick, not surprising, than a CBC. Also, they do a double red blood cell draw and give you back a bag of fluids.

bennettjc

Wow. This is an illuminating and disheartening discussion. HCT is the most basic of labs! Yet such differences. If I had to bet here I'd go with LabCorps #s . I am not liking the arrogance of this hematologist.

@Nelson Vergel - Curious as to your take on the OP's diverging HCT results.

Bubbs

PCP tested me at @45, which is in line with the 47.7 minus another half donation that they insisted in doing on the 47.7 day because it was still "too high" (yeah, I know)

My ferritin is tanked however, its at 33 which the perky Hematologist PA insisted was "absolutely normal and desirable because we want yours under 50" right before she pointed out the "dangerously high" 1200 test levels that I had the day after an injection.

I'm going to keep monitoring it and take into account Toronto TRTs insight into how much it varies and how I shouldn't be concerned. Hopefully I can go back to 6 month donations now

bennettjc

PCP tested me at @45, which is in line with the 47.7 minus another half donation that they insisted in doing on the 47.7 day because it was still "too high" (yeah, I know)

My ferritin is tanked however, its at 33 which the perky Hematologist PA insisted was "absolutely normal and desirable because we want yours under 50" right before she pointed out the "dangerously high" 1200 test levels that I had the day after an injection.

I'm going to keep monitoring it and take into account Toronto TRTs insight into how much it varies and how I shouldn't be concerned. Hopefully I can go back to 6 month donations now
I've read many similar stories of guys crashing their ferritin because of frequent donations. Usually they report that the crash makes them feel like crap physically and mentally. Did this happen to you at all?

Bubbs

Not yet,as I understand it ferritin is reserve iron so if my circulating iron is still normal I won't feel it yet? I dont know how that works honestly but I feel "ok" still

I was having high HCT issues previously tho, itchy skin, flushed and a weird tingly feeling plus head feeling "tight"

Joe Sixpack

Did they tell you why they like ferritin under 50? I read somewhere that there is a longevity benefit to being under 50, but I'd be interested in knowing their rationale.

Pringle

I have hemochromatosis, sleep apnea, and on TRT.....kind of a trifecta of blood viscosity challenges! I have found my in house labs from my doc, compared to Labcorp in the “ballpark”of each other +\- 2%. My new TRT Doc is more driven by platelet count vs HCT/HGB as my prior doc was. Any thoughts on that perspective?

maxadvance

as long as your platelet count is in normal range the HCT count is not as worrisome to the MD, high platelet plus high hct is worrisome, for Polycythemia to be diagnosed both must be in abnormal high range. Lectures by Dr Rozier, discussed on this forum previously, basically state high hct derived from TRT is nothing to worry about because platelet count is usually unaffected. While he may be correct, from a personal standpoint I can testify to higher blood pressure and other symptoms when I have a HCT above 56.

Pringle

as long as your platelet count is in normal range the HCT count is not as worrisome to the MD, high platelet plus high hct is worrisome, for Polycythemia to be diagnosed both must be in abnormal high range. Lectures by Dr Rozier, discussed on this forum previously, basically state high hct derived from TRT is nothing to worry about because platelet count is usually unaffected. While he may be correct, from a personal standpoint I can testify to higher blood pressure and other symptoms when I have a HCT above 56.
My prior doc was a stickler for anything over 52 and you have a phlebotomy. Naturally, after a year of that practice.....tanked ferritin. Was draining every 60 days. My BP also raises after HCT/HGB get north of 56/18.5. I am finding with this doc change, markers have not gotten higher than 53/18 and platelets mid range.....Seems to have settled there. Prior doc would have forced the phlebotomy. Will keep close check on and now the longest I have gone (4mos) without phlebotomy. Going to do labs again in 30 days and see.

Bubbs

Update on this thread, I took a 6 month break from donating and my HCT jumped back to 55

Every 3 months seems excessive but it seems like I'd need to do that to stay under 50 HCT

I'm debating dropping my dose a bit to 150mg test and 50mg nandrolone since I'm currently on 200 test/50 ND

My LDL came back over 120 this week so I need to start HIIT again and paleo/niacin so we'll see if that makes a difference to any of this vs my current crappy diet

TorontoTRT

Update on this thread, I took a 6 month break from donating and my HCT jumped back to 55

Every 3 months seems excessive but it seems like I'd need to do that to stay under 50 HCT

I'm debating dropping my dose a bit to 150mg test and 50mg nandrolone since I'm currently on 200 test/50 ND

My LDL came back over 120 this week so I need to start HIIT again and paleo/niacin so we'll see if that makes a difference to any of this vs my current crappy diet
Don’t bother with any changes. Won’t make a diff. Hct goes back up way faster after a donation. Probably within 2-4 weeks your back up high again. What I notice though is it stays at your new high even after 3 or 6 months. Hct just doesn’t keep going up and up and up indefinitely. Dosage and frequency have zero effect.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me