L-Arginine Decreased Hematocrit in People with Arterial Disease

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
A pilot study of L-arginine supplementation on functional capacity in peripheral arterial disease.
Randomized controlled trial

Oka RK, et al. Vasc Med. 2005.

Authors
Oka RK1, Szuba A, Giacomini JC, Cooke JP.

Author information

1University of California San Francisco, Department of Community Health Systems, School of Nursing 2 Koret Way, Box 0608, San Francisco, CA 94143-0608, USA.
Citation
Vasc Med. 2005 Nov;10(4):265-74.

Abstract

Peripheral arterial disease (PAD) impairs walking capacity and is often associated with a profound endothelial vasodilator dysfunction, characterized by reduced bioactivity and/or synthesis of endothelium-derived nitric oxide (NO). Previous studies have suggested that dietary supplementation of L-arginine, the precursor of NO, improves endothelium-dependent vasodilation, limb blood flow and walking distance. However, these studies have been small, and have used large intravenous doses of L-arginine. The optimal dose of L-arginine has not been determined. Accordingly, this pilot study was conducted to establish the lowest effective oral dose of L-arginine to improve walking distance in preparation for the definitive study. Patients with PAD and intermittent claudication (n = 80) participated in this study. Eligibility criteria included: (1) ankle-brachial index (ABI) at rest < or = 0.90; (2) post-exercise reduction in ABI > or = 25%; and (3) difference in absolute claudication distance of < or = 25% between two consecutive treadmill tests. Treadmill testing was performed using the Skinner-Gardner protocol and community-based walking was assessed using the walking impairment questionnaire. Patients were randomly assigned to oral doses of 0, 3, 6 or 9 g of L-arginine daily in three divided doses for 12 weeks. Treadmill testing was performed prior to administration of the study drug and again after 12 weeks of treatment. The study drug was well tolerated, with no significant adverse effects of L-arginine therapy. The safety laboratory studies were unremarkable, except for a statistically significant reduction in hematocrit in the L-arginine-treated groups. There was no significant difference observed in absolute claudication distance between the groups. However, a trend was observed for a greater increase in walking distance in the group treated with 3 g L-arginine daily, and there was a trend for an improvement in walking speed in patients treated with L-arginine. This pilot study provided data for safety, for power calculation and for dosing for the larger definitive trial that is now underway.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

djpreef

Hopefully this isn't too stupid a question, but when I look up L-Arginine to buy it (Bulk Supplements) I see:
L-Arginine Base Powder
L-Arginine a-Ketoglutarate
L-Arginine HCL Powder

Is there any way to know which one of these is the best one to get? Thanks!

djpreef

I answered my own question reading the reviews on Amazon. Apparently the AAKG is the only one that doesn't taste fishy.

I would add that I've been on a daily level >5g total of AAKG and a 6-8g of Citrulline and there's been zero impact on lowering and even maintaining my HCT

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me