Jet Black Stools - Is This A TRT Side Effect?

Buy Lab Tests Online

Stpfan

I had an incident in which X-rays revealed I had several stools that were backed up. (Which naturally I was totally surprised by this.) I was going #2 fine with no constipation and no diarrhea. I basically felt lower back pain with increased abdominal pressure. My doctor gave me a laxative and hopefully the situation resolves on it's own. (Hoping there isn't anything else wrong.)

It made me think though... ever since being placed on Test Cyp back in April 2019... the color of my stools have changed. They are literally jet black with superior foul odor. I just assumed this was either something that TRT caused? Or it would sort of fix on it's own? Like, I thought it was the carrier oil that was causing this?

Anyways... while trying to review this on the internet some websites suggest it's an upper digestive tract issue. Or someone who's taking an iron supplement. I don't take any iron supplements. I just take Test Cyp.

I have zero cramping at the gym. I always feel like I'm hydrated. The only thing different in my life now is that my TSH is around 4.67. Would this be a concern for a digestive disorder?

It's issues like this when I wonder if TRT injections are even worth it? Like, when you think you're doing the right thing for yourself... something else goes haywire in regards to your body.

Has this happened to anyone?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Blackhawk

Numerous causes for black/dark stools, Never heard of TRT or thyroid being one, but what do I know?

Digestive track bleeding is common especially if also "tarry" looking. Bleeding ulcer is a common cause, intestinal bleeding etc. Gastric bleeding related to alcohol use. GI bleeding also can be related to using blood thinners.

Meds can cause dark stool, Bismuth, iron supplements.

If you're not taking bismuth and the problem is more than a few days old, I'd see a doctor.

What Are the Causes of Black Stool?

Re: your TSH, huge red flag for hypothyroidism. That is really high despite what you probably see as "normal" range on your labs: Optimal vs Normal Thyroid Levels for All Lab Tests & Ages

Vince

Super Moderator
I've never had any or heard of any stools issues caused by trt. My main concern would also be of some type of bleeding. A bleeding issue should cause of low iron. Which is usually a red flag for low iron.

Stpfan

Thank you Blackhawk and thank you Vince for the posts. I don't even know the last time my Iron was checked in lab work? I just assumed it was regular? It could be total coincidence but I know my stools changed color about 2-3 weeks after being placed on TRT. And since I had no constipation and no diarrhea. And bowels (IMO) were about normal throughout life... I just disregarded it.

Only reason why I became alarmed... the lower back pain and abdominal pressure. I said to myself... well you're going #2 "normally"... so what the heck is the problem? And then like I said... it's almost I had to bribe my doctor in doing an abdominal scan. He really didn't want to take the x-ray. But he never questioned me on the color of the stools... or anything. He basically just said... yep... you're backed up. I'll have to make another appointment with my PCP and also ask him to run Iron on the labs.

I had an incident in which X-rays revealed I had several stools that were backed up. (Which naturally I was totally surprised by this.) I was going #2 fine with no constipation and no diarrhea. I basically felt lower back pain with increased abdominal pressure. My doctor gave me a laxative and hopefully the situation resolves on it's own. (Hoping there isn't anything else wrong.)

It made me think though... ever since being placed on Test Cyp back in April 2019... the color of my stools have changed. They are literally jet black with superior foul odor. I just assumed this was either something that TRT caused? Or it would sort of fix on it's own? Like, I thought it was the carrier oil that was causing this?

Anyways... while trying to review this on the internet some websites suggest it's an upper digestive tract issue. Or someone who's taking an iron supplement. I don't take any iron supplements. I just take Test Cyp.

I have zero cramping at the gym. I always feel like I'm hydrated. The only thing different in my life now is that my TSH is around 4.67. Would this be a concern for a digestive disorder?

It's issues like this when I wonder if TRT injections are even worth it? Like, when you think you're doing the right thing for yourself... something else goes haywire in regards to your body.

Has this happened to anyone?

Black stool isnt something to play a guessing game with. You need to go to the ER ASAP.

Ive had patients with black stool talking to me totally fine one minute and the next minute I'm doing CPR - more than once.

Stop what you're doing and go to the ER.

M.J

I remember my father doctor used to say if it’s black could be bleeding caused by many things from the stomach area as it takes time and turn to black. If from the colon it will be reddish as it comes out quickly.
In my father case it was stage 4 colon cancer. But as the guys say it could be other things better check it out.

Last edited:
I remember my father doctor used to say if it’s black could be bleeding caused by many things from the stomach area as it takes tying and turn to black. If from the colon it will be reddish as it comes out quickly.
In my father case it was stage 4 colon cancer. But as the guys say it could be other things better check it out.

Yep.

Black and tarry means its coming from high up (typically the small bowel). The reason it's black is because it's had time to sit, fester, and decompose as it works it's way down the GI track.

Dansk

"They are literally jet black with superior foul odor"

These are text book GI bleed symptoms. I'm guessing you have been checked out by now.

Stpfan

My PCP can get me in Monday February 24. I just don't understand why they give you a laxative and say be on your way? Without checking for possible GI bleeding? Or other issues? The laxative did clear me out.... who knows how long that stuff has been sitting there... and what was causing it. I'm tired as usual.... no difference there. Could be low iron? Could be anything. Won't know much until Monday.

As always... I appreciate all the posts! Thank you.

My PCP can get me in Monday February 24. I just don't understand why they give you a laxative and say be on your way? Without checking for possible GI bleeding? Or other issues? The laxative did clear me out.... who knows how long that stuff has been sitting there... and what was causing it. I'm tired as usual.... no difference there. Could be low iron? Could be anything. Won't know much until Monday.

As always... I appreciate all the posts! Thank you.

Where did you go? Urgent care? ER?

Rabbit91476

Go to the er. Pay your co pay. They will draw blood. And check your poop for blood. The test takes seconds. Unless your on a iron supplement that turns yourself stool dark green dark stool is abnormal. Blood in the stool has a very distinct foul metallic smell to it.

Stpfan

Where did you go? Urgent care? ER?

At that time... I thought I was having a heart attack. So I went to the ER. They did a Troponin test twice. Nothing was found in the blood. I had to convince the ER doctor to even take an x-ray of my stomach. She was reluctant in doing so. Why? I have no idea. All she told me was you're backed up. Didn't investigate it any further. Sent me home with prescription laxative.

They did a series of tests.... also +1 blood found in urine. I've had +1 rating (blood in urine) all the way back to when I was 20 years old. My old doctor told me it's nothing to worry about. I'm 42 now... so 22 years later... I still have +1 in my urine. Everything else is negative in regards to the urine.

I think we all want to feel better. That was my entire goal going for Testosterone Replacement Therapy. Sure, without it... I could be worse. But, I'm certainly not feeling like the cats meow. The only thing alarming to me... I'm getting dizzy all the time. Head is spinning. I was just put on Levothyroxine 25mcg every day... and is that even enough??? My hands are ICE COLD! What is typically the common T4 dose? Anyone know?

At that time... I thought I was having a heart attack. So I went to the ER. They did a Troponin test twice. Nothing was found in the blood. I had to convince the ER doctor to even take an x-ray of my stomach. She was reluctant in doing so. Why? I have no idea. All she told me was you're backed up. Didn't investigate it any further. Sent me home with prescription laxative.

They did a series of tests.... also +1 blood found in urine. I've had +1 rating (blood in urine) all the way back to when I was 20 years old. My old doctor told me it's nothing to worry about. I'm 42 now... so 22 years later... I still have +1 in my urine. Everything else is negative in regards to the urine.

I think we all want to feel better. That was my entire goal going for Testosterone Replacement Therapy. Sure, without it... I could be worse. But, I'm certainly not feeling like the cats meow. The only thing alarming to me... I'm getting dizzy all the time. Head is spinning. I was just put on Levothyroxine 25mcg every day... and is that even enough??? My hands are ICE COLD! What is typically the common T4 dose? Anyone know?

Your describing a lack of perfusion. I'm guessing your HoTN and tachycardic as well.

Did you have a Hgb drawn?
What's your blood pressure?
Heart rate?

I'm almost starting to think you're trolling us. I actually hope that's the case.

If not you need to go back to the ER snd demand they test for GI bleed.

Last edited:

Checkdis

Black stool a side effect of TRT... No, highly unlikely.

If it is chronic, things to investigate is c heck stomach ulcers, and run all test a Gastroenterologist would check. Sometimes it can be as simple as diet or something you ingested, blueberries, Pepto Bismol, chocolate, black licorice. ..etc.

Regarding the Thyroid and the symptoms it may be best to further investigate this. Running a full thyroid antibodies might be worth checking out. I only mention this because I have elevated TPO antibodies and experience the same sides of dizziness but I have a hyperthyroid (Graves Disease). But frequent bowel movements, dry eyes... everything that comes with Hyperthyroidism.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me