Is it time to abandon the digital rectal examination?

Buy Lab Tests Online

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Abstract

Objective: In 2012 the US Preventive Services Task Force released recommendations against prostate specific antigen (PSA) based screening for prostate cancer, but did not fully address screening via digital rectal exam (DRE). As such, many practitioners continue to perform DRE in attempts to identify men with clinically significant prostate cancer (CSPC). This study seeks to determine the value of DRE in detecting CSPC in the era of PSA-based screening.

Methods: Data from the Prostate, Lung, Colorectal, and Ovarian (PLCO) Screening Trial, a nationwide population-based study evaluating cancer screening programs and their impact on cancer mortality, was analyzed for PSA, DRE, and cancer status. In the screening arm of the PLCO, 38,340 men received annual PSA and DRE examinations for the first three years. Those with an abnormal test result were referred to their individual care provider for biopsy. The ability of DRE to detect CSPC, defined as intermediate risk or higher based on National Comprehensive Cancer Network guidelines and age ≤ 75, was evaluated in the context of both normal and abnormal PSA.

Results: 5,064 men had abnormal DRE in the setting of normal PSA, of which 99 (2%) were diagnosed with CSPC. When both PSA and DRE were abnormal, 218 (20%) participants were diagnosed with CSPC (RR = 2.06 [1.78-2.39] versus abnormal PSA alone).

Conclusions: DRE screening in the setting of normal PSA captured an additional 2% of men with CSPC. This incremental gain suggests that routine DRE screening subjects a large number of men to invasive, potentially uncomfortable examinations for relatively minimal gain

Key Limitations: Our conclusions are based on data derived from the PLCO study which has been criticized on the basis of inconsistent biopsies following positive screening tests, lack of end of study biopsies to determine population disease burden, and low numbers of black men.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/03007995.2016.1198312

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

PAUL-E

IMHO it might be a good idea to do one before starting TRT in order to make sure there are no abnormalities but after that just watch PSA.

CoastWatcher

A DRE takes a relatively short amount of time. It is uncomfortable, but in my own case, it was a digital rectal exam that revealed a fissure which explained chronic pain/discomfort. My prostate is, and has been, in good shape. It is sort of the "cost of being a man".

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me