Is GnRH suppression hurting us?

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Cataceous

Super Moderator
A tip of the hat to @ajax31 for an interesting link involving GnRH and cognition. It appears that a lack of GnRH contributes to cognitive deficits in Down Syndrome.

In a pilot experiment involving mice with three copies of chromosome 21, a team led by neuroscientist Vincent Prevot of the University of Lille in France found that increasing the levels of GnRH using microRNAs was able to reverse the effects Down syndrome had on the animals' olfactory senses and other cognitive deficits.
Of course, an animal study doesn't prove anything for humans. But a followup experiment involving seven men with Down syndrome who received GnRH from a pump under their skin showed hopeful results as well.
"Six out of seven patients improved their cognitive tests by 20 to 30 percent," Prevot told Scientific American.
"Even more amazing, we saw that functional connectivity was tremendously increased in all seven in cortical areas involved in speech and 3D orientation," Prevot added, noting that the men experienced improvements in verbal comprehension and temporary memory and attention.

See also:

GnRH thus plays a crucial role in olfaction and cognition, and pulsatile GnRH therapy holds promise to improve cognitive deficits in DS.

Other comments related to the work:

Recent research has suggested that olfaction loss and male infertility is also a characteristic of GnRH deficiency, and that GnRH may play a role in higher brain functions, such as cognition.

tropicaldaze1950

I've felt a blunting of emotions during two conditions: with a combination of high testosterone and high estradiol; and with very low estradiol. With normal testosterone and high estradiol I felt an amplification of emotions.

It would be great if GnRH were this "missing piece" for libido, but when is anything TRT-related ever that simple?
This might be only tangential or even irrelevant to your post but here it goes. Before going on TRT, I went through a period where I was eating salmon burgers/canned salmon several times a week and taking fish oil, too, all at the recommendation of my then psychiatrist, in the hope of stabilizing my untreatable bipolar illness. Also using several tablespoons of olive oil, daily(cooking & salads). I also had ED for 7 years. Had labs drawn by my endo. TT was 668. FT 110 E2 34. Lipid profile was excellent. This was Kaiser Mid-Atlantic. I was fortunate to get a most basic, though inadequate, hormone panel. My point; no exogenous T to suppress GnRH, LH, FSH. I did have sexual desire, sometimes intense, attributable to elevated mood.

The findings of the research you site are interesting. And as you said, "When is anything TRT-related ever that simple?"

Cataceous

Super Moderator
Here's a study looking at an apparent protective effect of GnRH in rats, which acts via enhancing estradiol in the hippocampus. If I'm interpreting this correctly, they're saying that the effect is not via regulation of estradiol synthesis, because "Letrozole did not reverse GnRH modulatory effects on hippocampal E2 levels and neuroprotection."

Introduction: The 17β-estradiol (E2) enhances hippocampal dendritic spine synapses, facilitates learning processes, and exerts neuroprotection. Brain estrogen decline has been reported in Alzheimer's disease. The role of GnRH in modulating steroid biosynthesis convinced us to examine whether hippocampal GnRH administration could enhance the local E2 levels and overcome the development of cognition decline in amyloid β (Aβ) neurotoxicity. To explore if GnRH acts through regulating E2 synthesis, letrozole, an aromatase inhibitor, has been applied in combination with GnRH.
Methods: Female rats received an intracerebroventricular injection of Aβ. The GnRH and, or letrozole were injected into the CA1 for 14 consecutive days. Working memory, novel object recognition memory, and anxiety-like behavior were evaluated. Serum and hippocampal E2 levels were measured. Hippocampal mRNA expression of GnRH (GnRH-R) and E2 (ERα and ERβ) receptors was assessed. GnRH effect on the excitability of pyramidal cells was studied by in vivo single-unit recording.
Results: GnRH increased hippocampal E2 levels, evoked an increase in the spontaneous firing of pyramidal neurons, and caused mRNA overexpression of hippocampal GnRH receptors. GnRH prevented the adverse effects of Aβ on working memory, NOR index, and anxiogenic behavior. Letrozole did not reverse GnRH modulatory effects on hippocampal E2 levels and neuroprotection.
Conclusion: GnRH prevented the Aβ-induced memory deficit, which may be mediated through hippocampal E2 levels enhancement. The electrophysiological analysis revealed the enhanced neuronal excitability in the CA1 region. All these data suggest that GnRH might be a promising candidate that reduces anxiety and improves memory indices in the context of Aβ neurotoxicity.

tropicaldaze1950

As you’ve probably experienced at some point, there’s definitely something that causes blunted emotions, especially with higher doses. It’s almost like things that should make a person sad simply don’t have an effect. I think it could possibly factor into libido as well because there’s such a vast amount of chemicals and neurotransmitters that play a part in arousal. Perhaps this missing piece could actually play a bigger role in libido than testosterone, estrogen or dopamine.
You're addressing the issues I've been dealing with for years while on TRT, though what I experience is being emotionally flat, near constant sadness and cognitive blunting. Higher dosing of testosterone makes it feel like my brain is separated from my body; I feel less connected to myself and to my surroundings.

Last edited:

tropicaldaze1950

This is a most informative thread! Its sent me off to do research on PubMed. Question: Testosterone and E2 suppress GnRH; not for every man, but for a % of men. Why not, without testosterone, microdose or ultramicrodose anastrazole, whether daily or 2 or 3 times a week? 1/10th of a milligram or even less? I know my thinking is mechanistic. I've read that E2 is higher in the hypothalamus and pituitary than peripherally. Whether in theory or in fact, lowering E2 in the brain, either should or does, increase T/free T with a possible improvement in erectile function. I've said that I'm at the point of giving up on testosterone, but the information and discussion, here, has given me another perspective.

FunkOdyssey

Seeker of Wisdom
Conclusion: GnRH prevented the Aβ-induced memory deficit, which may be mediated through hippocampal E2 levels enhancement.
I suspect you get similar benefits to this local production by simply having a lot of estradiol floating around the body and letting it diffuse across the blood brain barrier. I also don't think high levels of GnRH are as helpful for dementia protection in humans as this study suggests. Why?

Well, who has the highest GnRH levels? Menopausal women. Who has the highest rates of dementia? Menopausal women. How do you reduce their risk of dementia? You give them estradiol:

Cataceous

Super Moderator
... Question: Testosterone and E2 suppress GnRH; not for every man, but for a % of men.
In a significant majority on TRT there is nearly complete suppression. This is evidenced by low levels of LH and FSH.

Why not, without testosterone, microdose or ultramicrodose anastrazole, whether daily or 2 or 3 times a week? ...
AI monotherapy has been proposed as a way to increase endogenous testosterone, and there's at least one study on anastrozole claiming success. However, the long-term effects are uncertain.

These data demonstrate that aromatase inhibition increases serum bioavailable and total testosterone levels to the youthful normal range in older men with mild hypogonadism. Serum estradiol levels decrease modestly but remain within the normal male range. The physiological consequences of these changes remain to be determined.

Cataceous

Super Moderator
I suspect you get similar benefits to this local production by simply having a lot of estradiol floating around the body and letting it diffuse across the blood brain barrier. I also don't think high levels of GnRH are as helpful for dementia protection in humans as this study suggests. Why?

Well, who has the highest GnRH levels? Menopausal women. Who has the highest rates of dementia? Menopausal women. How do you reduce their risk of dementia? You give them estradiol:

LH is probably involved.

Together, these data suggest that while estrogen is relevant and important for CNS function and structure during the reproductive periods, aspects beyond estrogen loss contribute to age-related menopausal dysfunction.
In fact, increased levels of peripheral LH in AD patients is associated with exacerbated pathology and cognitive deficits (5052). Additionally, increased LH is correlated with increased plasma Aβ1−40 and Aβ1−42 levels in subjective memory complainers, suggesting LH may play a progressive role in early preclinical stages (51).

tropicaldaze1950

Before starting on testosterone in 2013, I did have inconsistent, but strong erections. My total, pre TRT, was 360 ng/dL. There were significant marital problems which shutdown desire for my wife, as well as the emotional toll of no longer being able to work due to bipolar illness. Now I'm my wife's caregiver.
I did my due diligence on testosterone therapy. It wasn't just suddenly deciding. I either read or was on multiple forums. Maybe, for me, I'm considering that testosterone is the source of problems, rather than benefits. Still trying to figure it out.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me