Is Digital Rectal Exam (DRE) Outdated?

Buy Lab Tests Online

madman

Super Moderator

A common question in our comments section is whether the digital rectal exam (DRE), also known as the "finger test," is still relevant in 2023. Here, medical oncologist Mark Scholz, MD, argues that the DRE is low-risk and still valuable because it can catch low-PSA-producing cancers that would otherwise go unnoticed. He adds, however, that if a person is totally opposed to having a DRE, they should not let it dissuade them from PSA testing, which is able to detect the lion's share of prostate cancer.

0:06 What is the digital rectal exam (DRE) and do you still perform them?
1:21 When should men start getting a DRE?
1:50 Does prostate cancer tend to grow on the part of the prostate that can be felt via DRE?
3:02 Are DREs good for estimating the size of the prostate?
4:10 Why aren't MRIs just used instead of the DRE?
4:57 Is there any reason to have a DRE after a person has been diagnosed or treated?
5:27 How dangerous is it to forego DRE if a person is doing PSA testing
6:30 What is the proper way to monitor PSA?

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

madman

Super Moderator
Screenshot (20269).png

naquilin

This brings up one more very important question -- what if someone is using Testosterone and finds out that they have prostate cancer? Do they have to discontinue the use of Testosterone? It seems pretty likely from everything I have ever read from every medical institution and every urologist that the level of Testosterone has a definite effect on the progression of a cancer in the prostate. For whatever reason, this question is always glossed over in these forums. Would anyone please address this?

Seth

A common question in our comments section is whether the digital rectal exam (DRE), also known as the "finger test," is still relevant in 2023. Here, medical oncologist Mark Scholz, MD, argues that the DRE is low-risk and still valuable because it can catch low-PSA-producing cancers that would otherwise go unnoticed. He adds, however, that if a person is totally opposed to having a DRE, they should not let it dissuade them from PSA testing, which is able to detect the lion's share of prostate cancer.

0:06 What is the digital rectal exam (DRE) and do you still perform them?
1:21 When should men start getting a DRE?
1:50 Does prostate cancer tend to grow on the part of the prostate that can be felt via DRE?
3:02 Are DREs good for estimating the size of the prostate?
4:10 Why aren't MRIs just used instead of the DRE?
4:57 Is there any reason to have a DRE after a person has been diagnosed or treated?
5:27 How dangerous is it to forego DRE if a person is doing PSA testing
6:30 What is the proper way to monitor PSA?
The last two doctors I have had, no longer see a need to do this. I even asked my current one and he said there is no need, as my PSA score is normal. This doesn't seem right to me, as years ago, they were adamant about men having it done, especially if a man is over 45. IMO, lab tests are fine, but I think there is a benefit to a physical exam as well.

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
This brings up one more very important question -- what if someone is using Testosterone and finds out that they have prostate cancer? Do they have to discontinue the use of Testosterone? It seems pretty likely from everything I have ever read from every medical institution and every urologist that the level of Testosterone has a definite effect on the progression of a cancer in the prostate. For whatever reason, this question is always glossed over in these forums. Would anyone please address this?

That is a good question. Personally, I would stay on TRT (100 mg per week) and discuss with my urologist. I would also review this info:

Nelson Vergel

Founder, ExcelMale.com
Thanks for the useful information. My first DRE was age 15 when our football team lined up in the fieldhouse for our very public exam.
Heck, some heterosexual men are really into prostate massages.

FangFang

Had a DRE recently and found that I have a very tender prostate. Very uncomfortable under the pressure. That lead to some prostatitis discussions etc. It's quick and easy with no risk, so it seems like it's worth while to me.

JmarkH

It was just the coaches, doctors, and players. The worst part was the hernia check. I don't know why teenage boys need their prostates checked. It was in September 1969.
Sounds like child abuse. Someone should be reported, even if it was 69. There has never been a legit justification for such a thing.

Seth

It was just the coaches, doctors, and players. The worst part was the hernia check. I don't know why teenage boys need their prostates checked. It was in September 1969.
We had similar exams when I was a teenager. All of us would line up for a physical, including a hernia check. It was all boys, coaches and a male doctor, so it wasn't a big deal, as we all showered together back in those days, but the doctor didn't check our prostates. He DID examine our testicles and penis. If there had been females present, it would have been very embarrassing.

Buy Lab Tests Online

Sponsors

bodybuilder test discounted labs
Defy Medical TRT clinic
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me