Is 50mg Zinc Daily Safe?

Buy Lab Tests Online

SkyWarn

I have been on and off zinc 50mg daily. My GP told me that I am taking a toxic dose (50mg daily)
I notice that when I take the zinc my chronic sinus infections vanish, and then return shortly after stopping.
Also, my lymphocytes are typically low, but after starting the zinc they returned to normal.
So I am curious if others on here are on daily zinc long term and if copper is necessary at the 50mg dose

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

madman

Super Moderator
I have been on and off zinc 50mg daily. My GP told me that I am taking a toxic dose (50mg daily)
I notice that when I take the zinc my chronic sinus infections vanish, and then return shortly after stopping.
Also, my lymphocytes are typically low, but after starting the zinc they returned to normal.
So I am curious if others on here are on daily zinc long term and if copper is necessary at the 50mg dose

Which Forms of Zinc Should I Take as Supplements?

The best-studied forms of zinc are gluconate, acetate, sulfate, and citrate. All of these have excellent absorption. Zinc picolinate and zinc oxide are not as reliable. Other forms have not been studied as well, but methionine chelates are probably very bioavailable. I recommend using supplements that come in 10-20 mg per serving. Doses of 25-30 mg are probably safe on the background of a diet rich in copper and other minerals, but unnecessary. Doses of 50 mg can cause nausea when taken on an empty stomach, are rarely needed, are likely to exceed the capacity to absorb zinc by a large degree, and likely to induce a copper deficiency.

What Dose of Zinc Supplements Should I Take and When Should I Take It?

Zinc supplements are best taken on an empty stomach. Wait at least three hours after your previous meal, and take it at least one hour before your next meal. For example, wake up, take the zinc, wait an hour, then eat breakfast. Or, eat breakfast, wait three hours, take the zinc, wait an hour, then eat lunch.

If taking more than one tablet or capsule per day, take them in divided doses. For example, take one an hour before breakfast and the other an hour before dinner.

10 mg/d of zinc on an empty stomach is sufficient to prevent or reverse a deficiency, but this should be doubled in an acute crisis of diarrhea or with chronic intestinal malabsorption.

If you eat a lot of zinc-rich foods and do not have any signs of zinc deficiency, you probably don't need a supplement. If you don't eat a lot of zinc-rich foods, or if most of your zinc-rich foods are plant foods, I recommend taking 15 mg/d as a preventative measure.

For chronic infection and inflammation, diabetes, alcoholism, and rare disorders that lead to zinc deficiency independent of diet, you may need larger doses, but I recommend working directly with a health care practitioner to carefully monitor zinc status and the efficacy of an individually tailored supplementation regime.

An acceptable zinc-to-copper ratio is somewhere between 2:1 and 15:1 in favor of zinc. On the background of a copper-rich diet, 15 mg/d of zinc probably doesn't matter. But at doses higher than this, I would supplement with copper at an approximately 10:1 ratio (give or take). At doses higher than 30 mg/d, I would strongly consider supplementing with a low-dose mixed trace mineral supplement, such as a single serving per day of ConcenTrace.

SkyWarn

Which Forms of Zinc Should I Take as Supplements?

The best-studied forms of zinc are gluconate, acetate, sulfate, and citrate. All of these have excellent absorption. Zinc picolinate and zinc oxide are not as reliable. Other forms have not been studied as well, but methionine chelates are probably very bioavailable. I recommend using supplements that come in 10-20 mg per serving. Doses of 25-30 mg are probably safe on the background of a diet rich in copper and other minerals, but unnecessary. Doses of 50 mg can cause nausea when taken on an empty stomach, are rarely needed, are likely to exceed the capacity to absorb zinc by a large degree, and likely to induce a copper deficiency.

What Dose of Zinc Supplements Should I Take and When Should I Take It?

Zinc supplements are best taken on an empty stomach. Wait at least three hours after your previous meal, and take it at least one hour before your next meal. For example, wake up, take the zinc, wait an hour, then eat breakfast. Or, eat breakfast, wait three hours, take the zinc, wait an hour, then eat lunch.

If taking more than one tablet or capsule per day, take them in divided doses. For example, take one an hour before breakfast and the other an hour before dinner.

10 mg/d of zinc on an empty stomach is sufficient to prevent or reverse a deficiency, but this should be doubled in an acute crisis of diarrhea or with chronic intestinal malabsorption.

If you eat a lot of zinc-rich foods and do not have any signs of zinc deficiency, you probably don't need a supplement. If you don't eat a lot of zinc-rich foods, or if most of your zinc-rich foods are plant foods, I recommend taking 15 mg/d as a preventative measure.

For chronic infection and inflammation, diabetes, alcoholism, and rare disorders that lead to zinc deficiency independent of diet, you may need larger doses, but I recommend working directly with a health care practitioner to carefully monitor zinc status and the efficacy of an individually tailored supplementation regime.

An acceptable zinc-to-copper ratio is somewhere between 2:1 and 15:1 in favor of zinc. On the background of a copper-rich diet, 15 mg/d of zinc probably doesn't matter. But at doses higher than this, I would supplement with copper at an approximately 10:1 ratio (give or take). At doses higher than 30 mg/d, I would strongly consider supplementing with a low-dose mixed trace mineral supplement, such as a single serving per day of ConcenTrace.

Thanks! So it sounds like 50mg is too much. I take the picolinate version btw. Also I have no stomach issues with the supplement surprisingly

SkyWarn

I am going to stop the zinc and see how I feel. My libido has gone down in the last few months and I am curious if the 50mg of daily zinc is playing a role in that. I was surprised to see the half life of zinc is 266 days! Sounds like it could take a long time to decrease blood levels even stopping cold turkey

MarcoFL

When supplementing zinc you should know what your serum levels are. I had been and and tested to find my levels just over the upper. I have now stopped taking zinc.

Vince

Super Moderator
Zinc Balance® is a synergistic combination of Zinc L-Methionine and Copper Gluconate in a 15:1 ratio of zinc to copper. Zinc L-Methionine resists absorption interference from fiber and phytic acid.*

15 mg of zinc, I take two a day.

madman

Super Moderator
Thanks! So it sounds like 50mg is too much. I take the picolinate version btw. Also I have no stomach issues with the supplement surprisingly

Keep in mind the amount you are also obtaining through dietary sources.

If you are eating low-carb/carnivore and consuming a lot of red meat (1-2 lbs/day) and taking a supplement than you would be getting way too much zinc.

1 LB (454 g) beef uncooked would be 20+mg of zinc.

Too many go overkill when it comes to supplementation of zinc.

Vince

Super Moderator
It’s nice to get your levels checked. Best way to know if you’re under or over supplementing. I’ve had my levels checked a few times, always in a good range. At least so far.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me