Iron and ferritin testing timing?

Buy Lab Tests Online

Systemlord

I want to know if a guy starts supplementing iron and he gets labs 4-5 days later, are the labs going to show an erroneous levels for both iron and ferritin?

Reason I ask is August 7 my iron was 101 and ferritin 63, after 4 weeks supplenmtming 250mg vitamin C and less than one week supplementing iron my iron is 128 and ferritin 123.

Now either the vitamin C drove up iron or the results are erroneous and levels are actually low.

Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

HealthMan

I want to know if a guy starts supplementing iron and he gets labs 4-5 days later, are the labs going to show an erroneous levels for both iron and ferritin?

Reason I ask is August 7 my iron was 101 and ferritin 63, after 4 weeks supplenmtming 250mg vitamin C and less than one week supplementing iron my iron is 128 and ferritin 123.

Now either the vitamin C drove up iron or the results are erroneous and levels are actually low.
Serum iron levels can be affected by iron supplements and what you ate the day before. You should fast and refrain from using iron supplements before testing serum iron. I don’t think ferritin levels should be affected in your example. Ferritin levels might raise in case of infection or inflammatory process

Systemlord

On the 31st of August I arrived at work and was fine, had been feeling well all day, then I walked into work and by the time I got to my area, I was extremely lightheaded and very fatigued. It had been 3 weeks since my last iron/ferritin panel (Aug 7th) and assumed iron and ferritin had to be much lower, so I consumed 1/2 tablet of iron and arose from what felt like the dead.

I went on to enjoy my weekend supplementing 162.5mg iron ferrous sulfate (32mg USP), I went bike riding along the boardwalk in Huntington Beach and swam for 3 hours, great weekend even though I was a little fatigued.

My energy waned and started feeling like I did on the previous Friday, so I brought out the big guns, started taking 28mg glycinate twice daily and did this for two days and started feeling like fire ants were injected into my bloodstream.

I stopped all iron today and the fire ant feeling has subsided almost completely. Either my iron is low, iron is elevated and/or I'm allergic to iron.

I have a referral to a hematologist and wanted to get a recent iron test so our conversation would be more productive since he would more than likely order on anyways. I wish I had tested iron before restarting iron supplenting. Now I don't know if I can trust it.

Last edited:

HealthMan

On the 31st of August I arrived at work and was fine, had been feeling well all day, then I walked into work and by the time I got to my area, I was extremely lightheaded and very fatigued. It had been 3 weeks since my last iron/ferritin panel (Aug 7th) and assumed iron and ferritin had to be much lower, so I consumed 1/2 tablet of iron and arose from what felt like the dead.

I went on to enjoy my weekend supplementing 162.5mg iron ferrous sulfate (32mg USP), I went bike riding along the boardwalk in Huntington Beach and swam for 3 hours, great weekend even though I was a little fatigued.

My energy waned and started feeling like I did on the previous Friday, so I brought out the big guns, started taking 28mg glycinate twice daily and did this for two days and started feeling like fire ants were injected into my bloodstream.

I stopped all iron today and the fire ant feeling has subsided almost completely. Either my iron is low, iron is elevated and/or I'm allergic to iron.

I have a referral to a hematologist and wanted to get a recent iron test so our conversation would be more productive since he would more than likely order on anyways. I wish I had tested iron before restarting iron supplenting. Now I don't know if I can trust it.
Any reason why you take iron supplements? The iron and ferritin levels you posted are just fine.

Systemlord

Any reason why you take iron supplements? The iron and ferritin levels you posted are just fine.

I don't know what's going on, as I said about a week ago I experienced lightheadedness and fatigue, a return of all iron deficiency symptoms and took iron and felt worse days later.

I just found out about the iron and ferritin today. If these labs are to be trusted, then my vitamin C deficiency led to an iron deficiency on TRT and supplementing too much vitamin C (250mg) cause iron to be too high without any iron supp.

An iron value 80> or ferritin 80> is too high for me, iron gets anywhere near 100 and I start having problems. I felt like a million bucks when iron was 80 and ferritin 82.

Last edited:

TorontoTRT

From my research iron is best taken every other day. Hepcidin is affected for 24 hours after iron ingestion interfering with further iron absorption.
Ferritin numbers are strange for me sometimes. My feritin went down only 2 points after a whole blood donation. From 22 to 20.

Systemlord

From my research iron is best taken every other day. Hepcidin is affected for 24 hours after iron ingestion interfering with further iron absorption.
Ferritin numbers are strange for me sometimes. My feritin went down only 2 points after a whole blood donation. From 22 to 20.

I did feel as though my body was struggling with taking iron everyday, but then all I needed was vitamin C and was getting probably more than twice as much iron as I needed.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me