Injection frequency

Buy Lab Tests Online

Tokumei

I can see eod injections mimicking how the body naturally fluctuates (about 30% daily) because the smaller the dose/depot in the muscle the faster it releases and peaks. However if the dose/depot is larger it takes longer to release and peak which would cause injections to overlap and produce a flatline level.

Last edited:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
A good starting protocol, is injecting every three and a half days. Usually Monday morning and Thursday evening. Many members don't do daily injections. It's usually members with low shpg that needs dailies.

HealthMan

I can see eod injections mimicking how the body naturally fluctuates (about 30% daily) because the smaller the dose/depot in the muscle the faster it releases and peaks. However if the dose/depot is larger it takes longer to release and peak which would cause injections to overlap and produce a flatline level.
The body naturally fluctuates on a daily basis. You will never be able to mimic that injecting with esters like cypionate or enanthate (even if you inject on a daily basis). Maybe with testosterone suspension you can argue you can. Creams will work better in that regard

Cataceous

Super Moderator
It depends on the ester. I know that EOD enanthate makes my testosterone very constant, whereas daily propionate can make my testosterone vary by up to +/-50% about the mean.

The absorption rate relative to dose is an interesting subject. I believe that at least in earlier stages it is modeled well by assuming an absorption rate proportional to surface area of the injected depot. This implies that relative, but not absolute absorption rates are greater for smaller doses. This leads to shorter apparent half-lives for smaller doses. A couple research papers have made mention of such observations, meaning that there is some experimental evidence in favor of the idea.

flat line or stability is a real misnomer, there's still a peak and a trough even on daily shots. The caveat is that it's less pronounced up/down between shots but stability it is not. Half-life looks and reads good on paper but rarely applies, it seems, once a guy injects it, in particular an low SHBG that has a high rate of clearance that ~6 day half-life is null and void.

Cataceous

Super Moderator
... Half-life looks and reads good on paper but rarely applies, it seems, once a guy injects it, in particular an low SHBG that has a high rate of clearance that ~6 day half-life is null and void.
This is wrong. SHBG does not affect the rate of absorption of injected testosterone, which is what leads to measured half-lives.

Cataceous

Super Moderator
"rate of clearance"
Still not stated correctly, because on average you cannot clear faster than you absorb, regardless of SHBG. And if he's not referring to the apparent half-lives of testosterone esters then it should be spelled out clearly, because most would assume that it is about serum testosterone over time after an injection. These half-lives do not change with SHBG.

Vince

Super Moderator
SHBG: The Master Regulator for Testosterone and Estrogen: SHBG is a protein produced primarily in the liver, although the testes, uterus, brain, and placenta also synthesize it. It serves as a transport carrier, shuttling estrogen and testosterone to sex hormone receptors throughout your body.11,12 SHBG also safeguards these vital hormones from degrading too rapidly and prevents their clearance from the body.
It thus acts as the master regulator of your sex hormone levels, maintaining the delicate balance between estrogen and testosterone critical to overall health in aging humans.

Do You Know Your Sex Hormone Status - Life Extension

Cataceous

Super Moderator
... SHBG also safeguards these vital hormones from degrading too rapidly and prevents their clearance from the body.
It thus acts as the master regulator of your sex hormone levels, maintaining the delicate balance between estrogen and testosterone critical to overall health in aging humans. ...
This relates to a different half-life, the half-life of pure testosterone in the bloodstream, which is on the order of minutes to a couple hours. Even so, you cannot metabolize and excrete testosterone you don't have. Lower SHBG might mean faster clearance if more testosterone entered the system to maintain total testosterone. But this is not what happens with injections. Instead, the constant slow absorption of testosterone acts to maintain free testosterone, and it is total testosterone that adjusts to match, being lower when SHBG is lower.

antelopers

This relates to a different half-life, the half-life of pure testosterone in the bloodstream, which is on the order of minutes to a couple hours. Even so, you cannot metabolize and excrete testosterone you don't have. Lower SHBG might mean faster clearance if more testosterone entered the system to maintain total testosterone. But this is not what happens with injections. Instead, the constant slow absorption of testosterone acts to maintain free testosterone, and it is total testosterone that adjusts to match, being lower when SHBG is lower.
Would you mind explaining why it seems to be necessary for guys with low shbg to inject so frequently, if the rate of absorption are basically the same and free T is maintained? I'm trying to wrap my head around this concept as "low shbg = more frequent injections because the testosterone is expelled so quickly" is what I've heard forever. If it's as you're saying, it doesn't seem that frequent injections would offer any real benefit at all?

Gman86

Would you mind explaining why it seems to be necessary for guys with low shbg to inject so frequently, if the rate of absorption are basically the same and free T is maintained? I'm trying to wrap my head around this concept as "low shbg = more frequent injections because the testosterone is expelled so quickly" is what I've heard forever. If it's as you're saying, it doesn't seem that frequent injections would offer any real benefit at all?

I wish I was smart enough to understand Cataceous’ explanation of how SHBG works. But the reason that I’ve seen that low SHBG guys maybe have to inject more frequently is because they’ll take a shot of say 100mg, and their total T will shoot up to say 1000 very quickly, and then drop down to say 400-500 in just a couple days. Opposed to a high SHBG guy like myself, where if I take that same 100mg shot, my total T will go up to say 1000, and then stay around that for longer, and then will maybe get To around 400-500 after 5-7 days, opposed to the low SHBG guy that will have those trough levels after just a couple days. Low SHBG guys will have a more rapid peak and trough, and therefore will need to inject more frequently to avoid the drastic ups and downs. Now why this happens with low SHBG men, I honestly don’t know, I just know what I’ve seen with men’s bloodwork that have low and high SHBG levels.

Cataceous

Super Moderator
One idea is that low SHBG enhances sensitivity to hormonal fluctuations, with unnatural hormonal variations being worse with respect to the ratio of free testosterone to free estradiol. "James" expands a little on the idea here. "I believe the fluctuations we see in low SHBG men that require 3x-7x weekly dosing are due to rapid and highly exaggerated changes in free estradiol due to the above phenomenon as peaks and troughs radically alter free hormone binding and metabolism in the absence of proportionate quantities of SHBG."

In any case, discard the notion that "testosterone is expelled so quickly". Injections supply testosterone at a slow and steady rate. On average testosterone must be "expelled", i.e. metabolized and cleared, at exactly this rate. This still leaves open the possibility of other clearance rate-related detrimental effects from low SHBG. For example, if there are disadvantages in having decreased total testosterone with the same free testosterone.

Cataceous

Super Moderator
I wish I was smart enough to understand Cataceous’ explanation of how SHBG works. But the reason that I’ve seen that low SHBG guys maybe have to inject more frequently is because they’ll take a shot of say 100mg, and their total T will shoot up to say 1000 very quickly, and then drop down to say 400-500 in just a couple days. Opposed to a high SHBG guy like myself, where if I take that same 100mg shot, my total T will go up to say 1000, and then stay around that for longer, and then will maybe get To around 400-500 after 5-7 days, opposed to the low SHBG guy that will have those trough levels after just a couple days. Low SHBG guys will have a more rapid peak and trough, and therefore will need to inject more frequently to avoid the drastic ups and downs. Now why this happens with low SHBG men, I honestly don’t know, I just know what I’ve seen with men’s bloodwork that have low and high SHBG levels.
This is the mythology I'm trying to debunk. Differing SHBG levels do not change the apparent half-lives of injected testosterone esters. As I've explained before, after you inject a testosterone ester you have this oily depot in muscle or under the skin. The depot slowly dissolves, releasing the testosterone ester, which eventually gets into the bloodstream, where enzymes cleave the ester and release the pure testosterone. Only then is the testosterone free to interact with other molecules, such as SHBG. The apparent half-life of a testosterone ester is determined by how fast its depot dissolves. This is not influenced by SHBG.

Last edited:

Gman86

This is the mythology I'm trying to debunk. Differing SHBG levels do not change the apparent half-lives of injected testosterone esters. As I've explained before, after you inject a testosterone ester you have this oily depot in muscle or under the skin. The depot slow dissolves, releasing the testosterone ester, which eventually gets into the bloodstream, where enzymes cleave the ester and release the pure testosterone. Only then is the testosterone free to interact with other molecules, such as SHBG. The apparent half-life of a testosterone ester is determined by how fast its depot dissolves. This is not influenced by SHBG.

All I’m saying is that guys blood work with low SHBG shows levels peaking quickly, and then quickly leaving them with low levels. Guys with higher SHBG shows that they peak slower, hold longer, and take longer to drop. I’m not saying I know why this happens, I’m just saying what I’ve seen in men’s bloodwork. The only thing I’m not 100% sure of is whether low SHBG guys peak faster than high SHBG guys. But it’s clear that low SHBG guys levels drop much faster than high SHBG guys.

Cataceous

Super Moderator
All I’m saying is that guys blood work with low SHBG shows levels peaking quickly, and then quickly leaving them with low levels. Guys with higher SHBG shows that they peak slower, hold longer, and take longer to drop. I’m not saying I know why this happens, I’m just saying what I’ve seen in men’s bloodwork. The only thing I’m not 100% sure of is whether low SHBG guys peak faster than high SHBG guys. But it’s clear that low SHBG guys levels drop much faster than high SHBG guys.
Were these measurements taken under controlled conditions with frequent samples in the period of interest? This is what would be needed to see what's really going on. Nonetheless, if you have compelling data then feel free to share the details. If we're relying on anecdotes, then in just about every case where a guy has given me two clean, post-peak measurements after a testosterone cypionate injection, the computed half-life has been close to five days.

In contrast to apparent half-life, the time to peak is a different animal, and it may be somewhat sensitive to SHBG.

antelopers

Were these measurements taken under controlled conditions with frequent samples in the period of interest? This is what would be needed to see what's really going on. Nonetheless, if you have compelling data then feel free to share the details. If we're relying on anecdotes, then in just about every case where a guy has given me two clean, post-peak measurements after a testosterone cypionate injection, the computed half-life has been close to five days.

In contrast to apparent half-life, the time to peak is a different animal, and it may be somewhat sensitive to SHBG.
Don't you use frequent injections though? The some reasoning behind that for you is the free e2 control or something else?

Gman86

It’s all just anecdotal reports of blood work I’ve seen guys share. But there are so many variables, you’re right. To truly show whether what I’m saying is accurate or not there would have to be controlled experiments done.

Cataceous

Super Moderator
Don't you use frequent injections though? The some reasoning behind that for you is the free e2 control or something else?
I'd done pretty well on EOD enanthate or cypionate for some years—never tried anything else, but was curious if daily propionate would be an improvement. I'm currently experimenting with using both esters in different ratios, so I can adjust the amount of daily variation. Given the small data set and lack of isolation of the variables, I can't say anything definitive. However, the transition to propionate gave me the best two weeks I've had on TRT with respect to libido and sexual function. Otherwise, any long-term improvements are subtle at best.

Gman86

I'd done pretty well on EOD enanthate or cypionate for some years—never tried anything else, but was curious if daily propionate would be an improvement. I'm currently experimenting with using both esters in different ratios, so I can adjust the amount of daily variation. Given the small data set and lack of isolation of the variables, I can't say anything definitive. However, the transition to propionate gave me the best two weeks I've had on TRT with respect to libido and sexual function. Otherwise, any long-term improvements are subtle at best.

Any hypothesis on why you felt so good during the transition?

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me