In Search of the Perfect Human Diet

Buy Lab Tests Online

Vince

Super Moderator
I watched this DVD a few years ago and thought it was really good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Defy Medical TRT clinic doctor

Vince

Super Moderator
I did not write this :D

I was recently given the opportunity to watch a pre-release copy of CJ Hunt's long-awaited documentary, “In Search of the Perfect Human Diet.” Honored and delighted, I accepted. This is a big film, guys. I wouldn't expect to see it on any Oscar lists or anything, but it's big nonetheless. You may have heard of it already. Robb Wolf's been championing the cause since way back in 2010, when CJ was trying to raise funds for production. Erwan Le Corre drummed up some support, too. I gave the trailer's release some Weekend Link Love last year, and now, on the eve of its release, I'm reviewing the film. I couldn't be more excited.

This film was a labor of love on the part of CJ. It kinda had to be, since its premise isn't blockbuster material. It doesn't tug at heartstrings, nor does it present a harrowing, gripping narrative full of conflicts and conflict resolutions that rival the best feature films. No, “In Search of the Perfect Human Diet” is exactly what it sounds like: the chronicling of one man's quest to figure out what humans should be eating. It's not a sexy premise that sponsors would fall all over themselves to get in on. It's not selling anything (but the film itself). It's not even promoting any particular or Primal eating book. It appears, on its surface, to be a niche title, with a limited audience, but consider the subject matter. It's about you, me, your friends, that guy across the street whose name you don't even know, billions of strangers scattered across the globe, and billions more scattered across time. In short, this movie is about humans, about real people, and the diet we evolved eating. That sounds like a massive target demographic to me. But because the ancestral health community, while growing, is still relatively small, the film had to funded almost entirely by donations from individual humans who love this way of life and believe in it, have garnered benefits from it, and who want it available on a larger, different stage for all to see. If you were among the donators, I thank you, because you made this very important documentary possible.

That said, let's talk a bit about the contents of the film and why I liked it so much.
First, CJ Hunt is a natural in front of the camera. He has over twenty years of experience in broadcasting, voice-overs, and television, and it definitely shows. The guy has a smooth voice and just comes across really well. No sign of loincloths, spears, scraggly beards (although I have no doubt he could pull one off), or toe shoes that might scare off Grandma.

Second, it tells a great story that should be pretty familiar to most of you. CJ was a seemingly healthy, lean 23-year old doing the right exercises and eating the right food when he had a heart attack. A full cardiac arrest – while jogging, no less. Now, this was due to a birth defect, not a poor lifestyle, but it made him think about health in a different way. He resolved to find the “perfect diet,” if such a thing existed at all. It's what many of us have gone through, whether personally or vicariously: a catastrophic health event strikes, early in life when everything is supposed to be all peaches and roses; bouncing from diet to diet in his search for absolute dietary truth (complete with forays into veganism and raw foodism), never really finding it; discovering a promising lead on yet another dietary path; following that one, bumping into Paleolithic anthropology, and everything just clicking. Is that your story? It's mine.

Third, although CJ's been eating this way for over five years now, he doesn't assume that the viewer knows what's going on. He doesn't gear this movie to you, the faithful Mark's Daily Apple reader. He aims it directly at those who actually need the help most, as well as the skeptics who think the ancestral lifestyle is nonsense, a “just-so” story steeped in the naturalistic fallacy with zero evidence in its favor. All those common complaints and “debunkings” get smashed to pieces. Best of all, the film's science is extremely approachable, made all the more so thanks to CJ. When an expert on neanderthal and early human genetics at the Max Planck Institute throws around talk about isotopic dietary analyses that might confuse some folks, CJ asks the right questions to get at the real-world dietary implications of these findings. So instead of jumping out with standard Primal eating prescriptions or suggestions from the start, the film is a gradual exploration of human evolution, including the dietary pressures that shaped and informed that evolution. The diet arises organically out of the scientific groundwork. CJ makes no prescriptions, instead letting the evidence and the experts speak for themselves.

The most moving scenes take place at the dig site and with the Max Planck geneticist. I talk about this stuff all the time, and I and many others write about how meat eating shaped our evolution, but there's always a sense of distance and abstraction. Links to journal articles are helpful and all, but there's really nothing like seeing the dig site with the layers of animal bones and tools, hearing the anthropologist with dirty knees from kneeling in the ancient, ancient earth say that the diet of the humans who lived there was “primarily reindeer,” or listening to Prof. Michael Richards discuss how his team has yet to find evidence of a vegan human via isotope analysis. These are the people who actually do the hard labor, write the papers, and run tests talking directly about the implications of their work. Rather than me or Robb or whoever else writing blogs or books about our interpretations of the work, the people who produce the work are stepping out from academia and giving their honest summation of the evidence for ancestral eating. If they're coming to similar conclusions as us, that's huge.

Professor Loren Cordain has a great scene where he uses a football field to illustrate just how far we've come as a species, how long we were eating wild plants and animals exclusively, and how recently – in the big picture – our lifestyles have drastically changed. It's a great visual that will resonate with a lot of people.
Overall, “In Search of the Perfect Human Diet” presents a great introduction to and justification for ancestral eating. It's hard to get someone to read a book or even check out a blog, but if they can sit reasonably still for an hour and a half while an entertaining, engaging movie plays, they'll get the general idea behind this stuff and want to learn more. It presents a compelling case for the evolutionary foundation of the diet we prescribe.

The movie has been made and released to DVD, but the battle doesn't stop there. The more copies they sell and the more people watch it, the larger our community will grow. If you want to support a great movie, a great cause, and (in my opinion) the answer to the obesity epidemic that's showing no signs of reversing, pick up a copy of “In Search of the Perfect Human Diet.” Copies begin shipping tomorrow.
Let's see how big we can make this! It's important, guys, real important!

Read more: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/in-se...

croaker24

"Perfect Human Diet"? Right. More Paleo dogma. A diet myth not supported by real scientific data. I swear the Paleo folks are as bad as Scientology - it's become a cult. Next you know there will be Paleo Churches, where they will sacrifice loaves of bread in bonfires.

And following which ancestral diet from when? People all over the world had different diets localized to what was available to them in their area based on the season. The percentage of meat/fat/plants varied widely and grains. Diets shifted as the climate changed and people migrated. It's all there in the science.

Diets are like religion and politics - everyone has their personal beliefs, in their One Truly Holy Diet - based on ignorance of the real science, like those folks who believe in creationism, Flat Earth, Big Foot, UFOs, that a TT value of 300 is normal, and so forth.

BTW, the fabled Cordain is not a scientist, he was an exercise physiologist when his book started this craze.

Vince

Super Moderator
"Perfect Human Diet"? Right. More Paleo dogma. A diet myth not supported by real scientific data. I swear the Paleo folks are as bad as Scientology - it's become a cult. Next you know there will be Paleo Churches, where they will sacrifice loaves of bread in bonfires.

And following which ancestral diet from when? People all over the world had different diets localized to what was available to them in their area based on the season. The percentage of meat/fat/plants varied widely and grains. Diets shifted as the climate changed and people migrated. It's all there in the science.

Diets are like religion and politics - everyone has their personal beliefs, in their One Truly Holy Diet - based on ignorance of the real science, like those folks who believe in creationism, Flat Earth, Big Foot, UFOs, that a TT value of 300 is normal, and so forth.

BTW, the fabled Cordain is not a scientist, he was an exercise physiologist when his book started this craze.

Hi Croaker, I was waiting for your response. in the name of paleo and the son and the holy spirit amen :)
peace brother

croaker24

I was pretty sure you were doing this specifically to get a reaction :) Did not want to disappoint you. If you want to read a good book about human evolution and a perspective on Paleo - try:

"The Story of the Human Body" by Daniel Lieberman - head of the dept of human evolutionary biology. A little long, very detailed, and maybe dry at times - but fascinating stuff.

Some random quotes --

Another problem with the paleo diet is that it makes unscientific assumptions about what our ancestors ate, Lieberman says. “There was no one single paleo diet; there were many,” he says. Our Stone Age relatives lived in a diverse range of habitats, from tropical regions of Africa to rain forests, boreal forests and tundra regions, he says, and their diets varied according to what was available in these habitats. “There is no one time and place and habitat to which we're adapted,” Lieberman says.

But other pieces of paleo diet advice contradict what we know about human evolution, he says. For instance, paleo diets forbid dairy products, but numerous people around the globe have inherited a genetic mutation that enables them to metabolize milk as adults. This trait evolved independently at least seven times, Lieberman says, so it's simply wrong to say that humans haven't evolved to eat dairy foods.

Nor is it correct to assert that our paleolithic ancestors' diets were devoid of grain. “We know that hunter-gatherers in the Middle East were eating grains,” Lieberman says, because archaeologists have found remains of wild barley they were gathering, along with the mortars and pestles they used to grind this grain into flour. Not every population ate grains, Lieberman says, but those who had them available certainly did. “Whether they were healthy was beside the point,” he says.

Why should we eat like our ancestors did during the Paleolithic period, which ended about 12,000 years ago? Because our genes have changed very little in the 300 or so generations since then, said Cordain, and they're adapted to a world where food was hunted, fished or gathered from the natural environment. Our bodies didn't evolve to run on the refined foods found on grocery shelves today, he says.

But nor did we evolve to be healthy, says Lieberman, a professor of human evolutionary biology at Harvard University and author of “The Story of the Human Body: Evolution, Health, and Disease.” What drives evolutionary adaptations isn't health, it's factors that affect reproductive fitness, Lieberman says. “Natural selection really only cares about one thing, and that's reproductive success.” Evolution favors traits that allow a species to produce lots of offspring.

Vince

Super Moderator
Hi Croaker, I didn't post that for you, But did expect you to respond. I wonder what the eskimos ate? What was the traditional Eskimo diet
Stefansson's firsthand early-1900s accounts of unacculturated Inuit

The explorer Vilhjalmur Stefansson spent several years with the Inuit ("Eskimos") of Northern Canada and Alaska in the early 1900s, speaking their language and eating the same food. Although by that time some Inuit had already partially adopted the Western diet and lifestyle, those living in remote areas had not yet met any Westerners. Stefansson [1913] relates his first encounter with the Dolphin and Union Straits Inuit, and provides a firsthand account of the traditional diet and lifestyle of an unacculturated group of Inuit.

Stefansson reports that the Dolphin and Union Straits Inuit still used stone-age technology to procure and process their foods, and that he was the first Westerner to make contact with them. They spoke the same dialect as the Mackenzie River Inuit, which enabled Stefansson to interact with them, since he had previously lived 3 years with the Western Inuit groups and spoke the language.

Report of the Inuit diet on first contact. In regard to the diet of the unacculturated Dolphin and Union Straits Inuit, Stefansson [1913, pp. 174-178] reports:
My host was the seal-hunter whom we had first approached on the ice (...). [His wife] boiled some seal-meat for me, but she had not boiled any fat, for she did not know whether I preferred the blubber boiled or raw. They always cut it in small pieces and ate it raw themselves; but the pot still hung over the lamp, and anything she put into it would be cooked in a moment. When I told her that my tastes quite coincided with hers--as, in fact, they did--she was delighted. People were much alike, then, after all, though they came from a great distance. She would, accordingly, treat me exactly as if I were one of their own people come to visit them from afar...

When we had entered the house the boiled pieces of seal-meat had already been taken out of the pot and lay steaming on a side-board. On being assured that my tastes in food were not likely to differ from theirs, my hostess picked out for me the lower joint of a seal's fore leg, squeezed it firmly between her hands to make sure nothing should later drip from it, and handed it to me, along with her own copper-bladed knife; the next most desirable piece was similarly squeezed and handed to her husband, and others in turn to the rest of the family....

Our meal was of two courses: the first, meat; the second, soup. The soup is made by pouring cold seal blood into the boiling broth immediately after the cooked meat has been taken out of the pot, and stirring briskly until the whole comes nearly (but never quite) to a boil. This makes a soup of thickness comparable to our English pea-soups, but if the pot be allowed to come to a boil, the blood will coagulate and settle to the bottom...

Comments, clarifications, and conclusions. A few clarifications on the above, from Stefansson [1913]. The fuel used to boil the seal meat was seal oil. Stefansson describes an important cultural practice among the Inuit: families that had seal meat to eat shared their surplus with the families that did not. (Food sharing is a common cultural--and an important survival--practice among hunter-gatherers.)As the above represents first contact with an unacculturated group of Inuit living their traditional lifestyle, and the evidence indicates that blubber (animal fat) is eaten raw by the Inuit but seal meat routinely cooked, we conclude that the Inuit were not 100% raw. Whether they met the standard terminology used in this paper (and elsewhere in the raw community) of 75+% raw foods by weight (to qualify as "raw-fooders") is uncertain--this is discussed further below.

http://www.beyondveg.com/tu-j-l/raw-cooked/raw-cooked-3h.shtml

croaker24

They got more carbs then you might think. Here's a good summary of their diet --

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuit_diet

"However, evidence has shown that Inuit have a similar prevalence of coronary artery disease as non-Inuit populations and they have excessive mortality due to cerebrovascular strokes."

I've seen that last fact repeated in different studies. There was (and still is) some myth their high-fat/fish-oil diet was heart protective but this turned out not to be the case.

Bottom line Vince - men were made to **** and make babies (which is why we are all so preoccupied with our morning erections, ED, testicular atrophy, and so forth.) Our ancestors simply ate what they could find to stay alive long enough to make these babies. All this perfect diet stuff to achieve a perfect health is not what we're about. But we've evolved a lot of intelligence over the years and now have the ability to analyze our lifestyle and foods in order to keep screwing like rabbits late into our lives as possible.

There is no evidence whatsoever that our ancestors were healthier in any way - most died before they lived long enough to die of heart problems or cancer. Many of our problems (cancer and CV for example), are diseases of an population living longer. Some (autoimmune/diabetes) are a consequence of the industrialization of our food supply or of our bodies being deprived of all these dirty things such as bacteria, worms, and parasites that we evolved in tandem for millions of years, but have wiped out due to antibiotics and a cleaner overall environment, and living in houses/cities.

Not to mention, there is not one true Paleo food source still extant. Everything has been genetically adapted by humans to suit our tastes, veggies, fruits, meat. There some grains of truth in the Paleo diet - but their claims/science does not hold up.

Vince

Super Moderator
Croaker Hi again, my main concern is my small LDL particles. When I eat very low carbs and a high fat diet, I can control my small LDl particles. I do know my body will convert proteins into carbohydrates and will raise my small LDL particles. I do constantly make changes in my diet. When I was first told by my cardiologist to stop eating carbs, I thought he was a quack but I thought what did I have to lose. I do get a lipid panel done every 3 months.

The greatest benefits I had from giving grains was no more joint pain, I can run I can workout and it feels so good. Both of my parents and some family members have arthritis, so I have to do what works for me.

croaker24

Is LDL-P the measurement for small LDL particles? If so - my last test had it at 601 (nmol/L) and the test range recommendation is below 1000.

The issue with grains is that "whole" grains are hard to find in this country as most of it is processed in some form. I eat quinoa/buckwheat (technically not grains but seeds) and some steel cut oats now and then. I do not eat any products made with flour unless maybe garbanzo or almond flour now and then - we make pizza using ground cauliflower as the crust for example.

For true whole grain wheat - you can get ancient grains such as einkorn but it is expensive. I've read Dr Davis's book "Wheat Belly" but he tends to throw the baby out with the bathwater - true whole grains are not evil, and his evidence he provided to that point has been refuted in many places.

A true artisan bread - make with heirloom grains, and slow-risen overnight is quite healthy! I still do not eat it frequently and only in small quantities - but its much lower in gluten. Not many bakeries make it like this, we can find this kind of bread at only one farmers market where the guy uses a hard durum wheat and lets it rises something like 13 hours - he does not have a store-front but he sells out his stuff. It's very dense, high-fiber, and quite chewy.

It's the industrial stuff that kills us. Regular bakery bread is fermented for like only 4 hours. The flour for it is processed quickly and with high heat, stripping it of nutrients and fiber, leaving some sort of gluten bomb. I would not touch any commercial bakery product.

Having said that - everyone is different, what works for me may not work for you. I've been on many other forums and there's been little consistency as to what works for people - I've also seen blogs of ex-paleo/high fat, ex-low-carbs, ex-vegans, etc, etc, etc.

I really do not believe in demonizing foods that are truly healthy for the majority of people. I also do not believe its that simple - your gut bacteria/genes has a lot to do with what you can eat. I used to suffer from bad allergies, taking 3 different meds for a long time but after eliminating milk and eating clean, my allergies are gone much to my doctors amazement. I've not taken singulair, nasal sprays, or claritin in over 2 years, and not needed to visit my ENT for checkups.

I'm also off lisinopril for high blood pressure. Now I'm down to just cypionate!

Vince

Super Moderator
I have my total LDL-p checked along with the small LDL-p, my testing gives me total LDL particles and tells me how many are the small LDL particles. (inflammatory small LDL) Egyptians also ate grains (whole grains) they also suffered from arthritis and coronary artery disease. It sounds like you're doing all of the right things.
I will be grain free for 5 years in October, we are all different and we must all treat our health differently. I also gave up dairy but on occasion will eat block cheese. But I've never suffered from allergies.
I take a good probiotic, yes healthy gut bacteria is very important.

Re-Ride

["It's the industrial stuff that kills us"]

hmmm. The gov't and a panel of nutritionists have established the perfect diet and are currently supplying it to through Meals on Wheels.

FYI here is what both the 30 y.o. who lost his legs at the mill and granny get weekly fro MOW:

To prevent confusion MOW found that eliminating nutrient labels, ingredients and plant and date of manufacture is best. These are all frozen to kill bothersome enzymes and I suspect to prevent degradation of stabilizers and additives.

Each meal is supplied with a pint of "aged" milk and a slice of brown colored bleached bread nicely wrapped in cellophane. The weekly delivery includes:

seven frozen meals
one banana, one orange
two frozen fruit compote cups in heavy syrup
two four ounce cups of frozen apple or orange juice drink
one cup frozen apple sauce

M: two paper thin slices of chopped and formed "ham" with frozen peas and carrots, cup of milk, two slices of brown colored enriched bleached bread, frozen fruit compote in heavy syrup

TU: two paper thin slices of "aged" downer cow with thick brown gravy ( the odd red color is less distracting ) same peas carrots ect as above

WE: two paper thin slices of "aged" frozen chopped and formed "turkey" over white rice in yellow gravy (same as above just a different color).

TH: scoop of frozen "meat" chili over white rice. frozen broccoli stalks and either peas or carrots.

F: three frozen mystery meat balls smaller than golf balls in that delicious brown gravy, peas and carrots

S: frozen "cheese" wrapped in gummy while flour dough and topped with tomato sauce, peas and carrots

SU: either three "teriaki" or "swedish" mystery meatballs over bleached egg noodles or downer cow Lasagna with the same cheese as S.

Several times a month the following are substituted: aged downer cow meatloaf, mac and cheese, the "ham" is "turkey flavored", frozen lima beans and corn, tiny cubes of chopped and formed rubberized "chicken"

Frozen mashed instant potatoes are substituted for the frozen cup of white rice frequently.

Fresh fruits and vegetables are strictly prohibited except for that weekly banana and orange.

Vince

Super Moderator
you can walk down to the church and get a free breakfast and supper " you get what you pay for" or maybe to justify the high price

Re-Ride

Things you though were safe to eat:
FDA list of foods high in Acrylamides:

http://www.fda.gov/Food/FoodborneIllnessContaminants/ChemicalContaminants/ucm053549.htm

postum, olives- some, wheatina, toasted grains, coffee

Nothing new here but its easy to avoid this carcinogen. Potatoes for example should be parboiled or soaked. Keep cooking temps below 248F.
____

Vince, congregations which serve daily hot meals are the exception not the rule in most places. MOW is not free. They charge up to $10 per "meal". Since recipients can't or won't pay, the MOW "non-profit" racket fleeces both taxpayers and donors (at catered events).

Hunger in America has morphed in to a monster crisis since 2008 primarily because of what Croaker said: public policy being hijacked by corporate interests.

The MOW Perfect Diet racket is relevant to Excelmale's readers because sooner rather than later everyone here or someone close to them will be affected by this national disgrace.

Factor in the fantastic health care costs caused by feeding the most vulnerable (who are Medicare/Medicaid) this crap and each toxic "meal" is likely costing every one of us $100 while driving affordable health care to extinction.

This menu is, btw, what's for dinner in one of the wealthiest counties in the U.S. where the average home costs well over a million bucks. How about a law/IRS deduction rule that requires only the meals pushed by the non-profit-government-agibusiness cartel complex be served at fund raisers and business luncheons for the bureaucrats?

MOW supplier and co-conspiritor:
http://www.langloisfoods.com/inmate_meals_listing.html
http://www.langloisfoods.com/Senior_Meals_listing.html

Last edited:

Re-Ride

Coca-Cola plans on buying off crooked scientists eh? Ask yourself, why, in the face of declining sales don't they simply invent a healthier product. The answer is sugar is cheap.

Excise taxes suck but they are one way of pricing in the true cost to society of bad products hawked for billions in profits. I often think how cool it would be to have a phone app that would give instant feed-back to shoppers with a simple scan. A passive version would be a screen at the checkout with a cancel purchase button. CA wants images of malignant tumors on cigarettes which is a great idea.

Buy Lab Tests Online
Defy Medical TRT clinic

Sponsors

enclomiphene
nelson vergel coaching for men
Discounted Labs
TRT in UK Balance my hormones
Testosterone books nelson vergel
Register on ExcelMale.com
Trimix HCG Offer Excelmale
Thumos USA men's mentoring and coaching
Testosterone TRT HRT Doctor Near Me